Author Topic: Gotham Season 5 thread  (Read 319 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
Gotham Season 5 thread
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
The decision was made that the upcoming season 5 will be the final season for Gotham. This week's season finale set the stage for next season to either be, or lead right into, Batman year one. I have mixed feelings about this. David Mazouz is still too young to play Batman, and I doubt he will mature enough over the summer hiatus. I am sure the plan was for the series to go more than five seasons giving Mazouz the opportunity to grow into manhood before he put on the costume. He does such a good job as a teenaged Bruce Wayne that it wouldn't be fair for the series to jump ahead a few years and give the part to an older actor. And Gotham was able to pull off what Smallville couldn't. The show could go on another 20 years with no Batman and I wouldn't mind.

Yet on the other hand, the prospect of Batman finally showing up and sending all the villains one by one to Arkham, even with a Batman Jr., Would be great. I just hope they don't cheat us like Smallville did and end the series the second Bruce becomes Batman. I think we are all owed a few episodes at least with Batman in it.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Gotham Season 5 thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
I'm just glad it is getting another season to wrap things up.

I don't quite know how I should feel about Gotham in general.  I remember when it started it was very low key and moody (yes, even with a guy who kills people by attaching balloons to them), but as it went on and the villains got introduced, it just kept getting hammier and hammier.  And I'm not sure I like it despite the hamminess or because of it.  Either way, I still want to see how it all plays out.

I also stand by a comment I posted up before about it: in 1988, Robocop nearly got an 'X' rating for it's gratuitous violence, and even got a solid 'R' thanks largely in part to Murphy's death scene, including his hand being blown off and being shot in the head.  The movie had to be VASTLY cut when it showed on ABC.
Fast forward years later, and a character in Gotham gets his hand blown off with a shotgun on television.  It's somewhat off-screen, but still, fake blood flies up and he's seen holding the bloody stump.  Also, several characters are shot in the head in close-up, people are stabbed in the throat (and miraculously do not die), and even some people have had their throats ripped out in fairly graphic detail.   Rated TV-14.
Not a judgment, just amazing how times can change.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.