Author Topic: RiffTrax & Plex?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Corny Commentaries

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
RiffTrax & Plex?
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
Heyo!

I've been digitizing my movie & TV show collection and storing/playing it through a Plex server, and thought it'd be awesome to be able to add my RiffTrax collection to it. Whenever I try, though, I'm having no luck at all; it just spins for a bit, but eventually ends and doesn't actually add anything to the RiffTrax library I've created. Any suggestions/ideas? I found this forum post http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=32813.msg969701#msg969701 but it didn't work out for me.
Check out our iRiffs page for all of our riffs!

http://www.rifftrax.com/users/corny-commentaries

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3522
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: RiffTrax & Plex?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
I don't use any outside sources.. I just re-ripp my reauthors and store them on my Terabyte hard drives to watch from my dedicated entertainment computer.

Offline Corny Commentaries

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
I don't use any outside sources.. I just re-ripp my reauthors and store them on my Terabyte hard drives to watch from my dedicated entertainment computer.

I don't totally follow. A few questions:
1: Are you using Plex?
2: If so, do you mean that in the Settings--Agents portal on Plex, you've turned off the metadata puller thing? (TheTVDB, or whatever)

If you're not using Plex, do you use some other media server type thing?

EDIT: Turns out I was organizing errythang wrong. I just fixed it and all is working beautifully now. Regardless, I'd love to know if you're using something other than Plex, and if so, what you like about it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:29:10 PM by Corny Commentaries »
Check out our iRiffs page for all of our riffs!

http://www.rifftrax.com/users/corny-commentaries

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
I used Plex for a few months on a Raspberrypi with an external hard drive, then 'graduated' to using the RPi linked to an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi. Now I connect the external drive to a USB port on a wireless router, linked to the AFTv running Kodi.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3522
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:42 AM »

I don't totally follow. A few questions:
1: Are you using Plex?
2: If so, do you mean that in the Settings--Agents portal on Plex, you've turned off the metadata puller thing? (TheTVDB, or whatever)

If you're not using Plex, do you use some other media server type thing?

No.

I don't use any media server.. I simply create my reauthors to DVD, then re-rip them to save them on my hard drives. Nothing more.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
I tried the media server route for awhile, but found it too inconsistent- what worked perfectly fine for awhile would suddenly stop working and I'd end up wasting far too much time trouble shooting to get it to work again.
Cheap android box converted to LibreElec for Kodi with a couple of portable hard drives plugged into it is far less of a hassle. 

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
  • Electro-Syntho-Magnetic
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
You'll wanna sort your RiffTrax videos as a TV series and add it to the folder where your other Plex TV series are located (ie, C:\TV Shows\RiffTrax).  Each "season" in the RiffTrax show on TVDB is a different type of riff, so Season 1 is movies, Season 2 is Presents, Season 3 is shorts, Season 5 is Total Riff-Off, and Season 6 is live shows.  You'll wanna name your files according to TVDB's listings: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/rifftrax

For instance, your shorts would be named like "S03E11 - Drugs Are Like That.mp4".  All these files can be dumped in just the RiffTrax directory, or sorted into subfolders like "Shorts," "Movies," etc.  As long as the files are named correctly and in your ..\TV Shows\RiffTrax\ folder, Plex should pick them all up and have them neatly organized.