login

Author Topic: Cancelled  (Read 780 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 75
Cancelled
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
According to TV Guide, the following series have been cancelled:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...along with these shows..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The fate of some shows are still undecided. Next week's Blind S pot is listed as the finale, but neither being called the season finale nor series finale. For me the biggest loss is the ExorcistOnce Upon a Time basically ended last year, and this season was really a spinoff series with only some of the original cast.  Quantico is the leas surprising cancellation as it has completely morphed from its original premise.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 04:36:36 AM »
Brooklyn Nine Nine actually got saved by moving to another network.  So, YAY!

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 372
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
The Mick and Last Man on Earth both ended on big cliffhangers.  I wonder if the producers of LMOE knew they were getting cancelled and chose to end it that way?  After 4 years, they finally looked like they were moving in the direction of getting the human race back on its feet.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »
The Mick and Last Man on Earth both ended on big cliffhangers.  I wonder if the producers of LMOE knew they were getting cancelled and chose to end it that way?  After 4 years, they finally looked like they were moving in the direction of getting the human race back on its feet.

There was this series Now and Again which ended on a cliffhanger. The network alerted the producer two episodes before the season finale went into production that they were not picking it up for a second season. instead of rewriting the final episode so it tied up all loose ends, he had the final episode end on a cliffhanger. later admitting in an interview he had done so because he thought it would motivate viewers to save the show from cancelation. It didn't work. While viewers did write in ( and even send eggs ) to CBS, the show remained cancelled. Just this week the show runner for Lucifer tweeted that he deliberately put a cliffhanger in the final episode to prevent FOX from cancelling the show. I guess he forgot this was FOX.

Usually a show ending on a cliffhanger is the result of  the show runner thinking their ratings were good enough that they were safe to be picked up for a next season. But it may also just be insurance. End on a cliffhanger then maybe the fans will protest enough for additional seasons, as was done with Star Trek.  Also, take into consideration that there are now many options for a series to continue beyond cancellation. Hulu, Amazon or Netflix are more likely to finance an additional season for a show with a built in unresolved cliffhanger.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3149
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:09:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever find out what happens next in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6840
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever find out what happens next in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

the genocidal robots were inside you all along. :D
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
Whenever a series I watch is cancelled on a cliffhanger I take comfort in something a television producer once admitted. Whenever a cliffhanger is written, it almost never has a resolution. The writers don't even bother to think how it will be resolved until after the summer break, and it is usually by different writers than the previous season. Even when the show runner does have an idea how the cliffhanger will be resolved, it is usually abandoned for a different idea due to a better idea presenting itself, a cast change, or a demand to retool the series by the network.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
The Expanse? Damn it.

Whenever a series I watch is cancelled on a cliffhanger I take comfort in something a television producer once admitted. Whenever a cliffhanger is written, it almost never has a resolution. The writers don't even bother to think how it will be resolved until after the summer break, and it is usually by different writers than the previous season. Even when the show runner does have an idea how the cliffhanger will be resolved, it is usually abandoned for a different idea due to a better idea presenting itself, a cast change, or a demand to retool the series by the network.

I remember after the Borg cliffhanger in ST:TNG, the producers admitted they had no idea how they were going to resolve the deflector beam.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
The only 2 shows on the list that we regularly watch are Brooklyn Nine Nine (which as mentioned has since been picked up by NBC for a 13 episode Season 6) and The Expanse.
I've always been kind of torn about The Expanse. They did a good enough job with the budget they had and I liked how they didn't dumb it down and try and over explain everything, but it misses almost all of the humor of the books. Still hoping it gets picked up somewhere, but not holding out hope as it's ratings aren't that great.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2619
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
The only 2 shows on the list that we regularly watch are Brooklyn Nine Nine (which as mentioned has since been picked up by NBC for a 13 episode Season 6) and The Expanse.
I've always been kind of torn about The Expanse. They did a good enough job with the budget they had and I liked how they didn't dumb it down and try and over explain everything, but it misses almost all of the humor of the books. Still hoping it gets picked up somewhere, but not holding out hope as it's ratings aren't that great.

The TV version of Miller ruined that series for me, he was nothing like the Miller of the books, and the change wasn't for the better.
FINE