Author Topic: Digital Video vs Digital HD Video  (Read 138 times)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 31
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
Digital Video vs Digital HD Video
« on: February 28, 2020, 01:52:04 PM »
Dumb question, but if all I'm doing is burning these VODs to standard DVDs, and the .iso file is the same size for both standard and HD, there isn't any sense in purchasing the HD, am I right? Especially with something as high quality (lol) as Velvert Smooth. I guess there is a difference when playing the file from a hard drive maybe on a large TV, but I can't imagine it's going to look much better than the standard DVD quality, considering the source material.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
Re: Digital Video vs Digital HD Video
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:19:43 PM »
Correct, the iso file is the same.

The HD for Velvet Smooth will look better, despite the artifacts (and that's AFTER restoration), because it came from an actual film transfer so all of that color and picture data really is there.

Most of the HD material that we've been releasing for the past few years have come from film sources, so will look better when you play it on a TV as opposed to upscaling the SD file.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:21:53 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
Re: Digital Video vs Digital HD Video
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
Correct, the iso file is the same.

The HD for Velvet Smooth will look better, despite the artifacts (and that's AFTER restoration), because it came from an actual film transfer so all of that color and picture data really is there.

Most of the HD material that we've been releasing for the past few years have come from film sources, so will look better when you play it on a TV as opposed to upscaling the SD file.

Good info, thanks!