Author Topic: Do Kevin and Bill Still Contribute to Writing?  (Read 565 times)

Offline geesus

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
Do Kevin and Bill Still Contribute to Writing?
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
As per the title really. I notice now in the credits section on the website, that Mike is listed as 'Head Writer' and there are contributing writers listed underneath but Kevin and Bill aren't among them? Are they strictly 'performers' now? If so, when did this change come about?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
Re: Do Kevin and Bill Still Contribute to Writing?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
An interesting question I would have thought so, but you can see how the wording would indicated that.

Offline geesus

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
It's not a massive deal, as the quality is as consistently good as ever, but I like to picture the guys crammed around the table bouncing ideas of each other during the writing process. Though as they all live in different parts of the country, I'm guessing they have never contributed to material in this way, but I'm certain that they all wrote jokes in the past, as I recall Mike commenting on the process during an interview once.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 731
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:52:39 AM »
It's not a massive deal, as the quality is as consistently good as ever, but I like to picture the guys crammed around the table bouncing ideas of each other during the writing process. Though as they all live in different parts of the country, I'm guessing they have never contributed to material in this way, but I'm certain that they all wrote jokes in the past, as I recall Mike commenting on the process during an interview once.

Mike, Kevin and Bill all live in the same place now.   They have said in a few interviews that each person tackles a specific section of the movie for the writing..  Had they ever listed Bill and Kevin as writers? I would always just assume if they riffed it they had a hand in writing it.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline geesus

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:37:04 AM »

Mike, Kevin and Bill all live in the same place now.   They have said in a few interviews that each person tackles a specific section of the movie for the writing..  Had they ever listed Bill and Kevin as writers? I would always just assume if they riffed it they had a hand in writing it.
Yup I've seen those same interviews, and remember Mike commenting on how the guys would write for different segments of the film being riffed. To be honest, I too would have presumed that they were still all working this way, to this day, if the website didn't present the credits the way I described. It is only for more recent films, so I presumed it was a situation that had changed recently, but as I mentioned, the quality continues to be as high as ever.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 616
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
They all still write and contribute to the process just as much as ever; more so because of the volume. I believe they're not listed on the contributor credits for redundancy/repetition.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:56:22 AM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline geesus

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 05:59:09 AM »
They all still write and contribute to the process just as much as ever; more so because of the volume. I believe they're not listed on the contributor credits for redundancy/repetition.

Brilliant. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/mst3k-and-rifftrax-star-kevin-murphy-on-what-makes-the-perfect-bad-movie

According to the podcast in the article, Kevin says he was recently put in charge of finding movies. Maybe that cuts into writing time?

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 616
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Nah, he's always been very involved with finding titles. My own speculation for Gammera is that live show writing while maintaining the same release schedule is probably what happened. Again, that's speculation on my part; based on the calendar/schedule.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.