Author Topic: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots Countdown! Part 2: Electric Boogaloo!  (Read 11891 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
My list was well-represented!

1. Bender Bending Rodriguez (Futurama)
2. H.E.L.P.eR. (Venture Bros.)
3. Josef (Machinarium)
4. Marvin (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
5. Optimus Prime (Transformers)
6. Gir (Invader Zim)
7. Mega Man (Mega Man)
8. R2-D2 (Star Wars)
9. '80s Robot (The Muppets)
10. BB-8 (Star Wars)
11. Baymax (Big Hero 6)
12. Megatron (Transformers)
13. Wall*E (Wall*E)
14. K-2SO (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story)
15. HK-47 (Knights of the Old Republic)
16. Crow T. Robot (MST3K)
17. Iron Giant (The Iron Giant)
18. Sentinels (X-Men)
19. C-3PO (Star Wars)
20. B9 (Lost in Space)
21. Tom Servo (MST3K)
22. Johnny 5 (Short Circuit)
23. T-800 (Terminator)
24. Mechagodzilla (Godzilla)
25. Voltron (Voltron)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Mine:

1   R2D2            From: Star Wars
2   Robby The Robot   From: Forbidden Planet
3   Bender         From: Futurama
4   Tom Servo         From: MST3K
5   Crow            From: MST3K
6   Marvin the Paranoid Android   From: The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
7   Robot Devil      From: Futurama
8   Kryten         From: Red Dwarf
9   Data            From: Star Trek TNG
10   WALL-E         From: WALL-E
11   C3PO            From: Star Wars
12   790            From: Lexx
13   Gypsy         From: MST3K
14   K9            From: Doctor Who
15   Calculon         From: Futurama
16   T-800 Terminator   From: Terminator 2
17   K2SO            From: Star Wars
18   Buffybot         From: Buffy The Vampire Slayer
19   Class B-9-M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot  "The Robot"   From: Lost in Space
20   GERTY         From: Moon
21   Fix-it bots         From: Batteries Not Included
22   Gort            From: The Day The Earth Stood Still
23   Iron Giant         From: The Iron Giant
24   NOMAD         From: Star Trek TOS
25   The Replicators      From: Stargate SG-1

Just realized I didn't have BB-8 on my list, wasn't on my big list either, opps, there's always one that falls through the cracks, probably would have put him somewhere between 15 and 20.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:50:40 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 247
Good work as usual, but as for the list there was too much Futurama for my blood. And no B-9, strange. Thought he was a gimme?

But my biggest brain fart was Ava from Ex Machina, who I called -in my write-up- the greatest femme fatale in sci-fi since Maria in Metropolis (so how could I forget her?)

1. Mechagodzilla
2. Maschinenmensch, Metropolis
3. Crow T Robot
4. Gort
5. The Iron Giant
6. Kryton (Red Dwarf)

7. Backlash (Battlebot) – In hind-site I should have put him at #3. I actually own a mini working Backlash and have gabbed with its creator in the past (nice guy) and cheered his bot on his championship run one season. 'Lash actually went to the finals another time, but was so beat up from earlier matches that it didn't last long.

8. Tom Servo
9. The Vision
10. Ed-209
11. Robby the Robot

12. M-11 The Human Robot – Parker's “Agents of Atlas” was such a neat little comic. I was hoping we had another fan of that book (and this bot) on the forum.

13. Ziggo (Battlebot) – Cool spinner bot. Was named after a cat (with the image of a cat on the bot)

14. T-800, Terminator
15. T-1000, Terminator

16. Gerty (Moon)
17. Machine Man (Marvel Comics)
18. Red Tornado (DC Comics)
19. Platinum (Metal Men)
20. Astro Boy
21. Jet Jaguar
22. Sentinels (X-Men)
23. Ultron
24. Bishop (Aliens)
25. Awesome Andy (especially in Dan Slott's She-Hulk)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
My list with a few notes on the more obscure robots.

#1 IDAK  Omega 17
How could I not rank one of the IDAK androids at #1 on my list?  Back before Atari released the first gaming system, the phone was something attached to the wall and was only capable of making phone calls, there was only three television networks and the PC was still a decade away, kids would entertain themselves by playing outside with their other friends.  And what we did back then was use our imagination. You probably heard of games like "Cowboys and Indians" or "Cops and Robbers". Basically a forerunner of RPG where everyone pretended to be a character and improvised, usually recreating a scene from a movie or television show. We would do the same thing with television shows.  Whenever a group of four to fifteen kids would get together to play "Lost in Space" inevitably there would be a fight over who got to be the most popular character, what we called back then the "Crush, Kill, Destroy" robot. The "Crush, Kill, Destroy" robot made it into games of other shows, including"Star Trek",  "Space 1999", faced off against "Superman", and even made an appearance in a game of "Gilligan's Island".  ( Poor Gilligan. ) Even after Star Wars came out we would discus how more awesome the movie would have been if the "Crush, Kill, Destroy" robot had been in it.

#2 Robot Santa

#3 Bender

#4 Crow T Robot

#5 Tom Servo

#6 790

#7 Box
From the movie Logan's Run, Box was created and programed to collect and freeze food for the Domed City. When pollution and radiation eventually killed off sea life, Dome City switched to farming fish in aquariums. The problem was that no one bothered to deactivate Box. Left alone with nothing to freeze for hundreds of years, Box gradually went insane, freezing whatever unlucky animal occasionally came into his cave. Eventually Runners looking for a way to escape from Dome City began using Box's cave. No longer able to distinct between animals and humans, Box began freezing and storing any Runner he caught, which was probably all of them. His reign of terror finally came to an end when Logan and Jessica passed through his cave. Logan, a former Sandman, was armed with something no other Runner had; a blaster.

#8 Maria  ( Metropolis )

#9 Roberto

#10 Mars Pathfinder
The only real life robot to make my list, Mars Pathfinder was the first mobile robot to be sent to Mars. Pathfinder consisted of a lander/ base station and a rover called Sojourner that could travel away some distance and return with soil and rock samples.

#11 Robot Devil

#12 Gypsy

#13 Hedonismbot

#14 The Turk
Built in 1770, The Turk was exhibited throughout Europe as a mechanical man who could not only play chess, but won most of his matches. The entire unit was a cabnet with a chess board on top, and an automated man in a Turkish outfit permanently seated next to it.  Before each match the cabnet was opened to show there was nothing in it other than gears. The back of the mechanical man itself was opened up to show it was full of gears and pulleys and could not possibly be a costume.The Turk went through different owners, eventually ending up at a museum in Philadelphia where it was destroyed in a fire in 1854. It had always been assumed The Turk was some sort of magic trick and not an actual mechanical marvel. Decades after it's destruction, the son of it's final owner claimed that mirrors concealed a secret compartment where a chess expert hid inside the cabnet, working The Turk like a puppet.

#15 Gunslinger 
Before there was Westworld the series, there was the classic 70s science fiction movie Westworld( 1973 ), followed by it's sequel Futureworld ( 1976 ). The first film was written and directed by Michael Crichton in a plot he would basically recycle for Jurassic Park. An amusement park for the rich called Delos allows visitors to interact with androids who look exactly like humans. Delos had three sections, Medievalworld, Roanworld and Westworld. Each had buildings and landscapes that resembled the three eras, and were full of androids the guests were welcome to kill. For example, you could fight and beat an android gladiator in Romanworld, or joust with an android knight in Medievalworld. In Westworld you could get into shootouts with android gunslingers. However, something goes wrong with the basic programming and the androids who were suppose to lose, instad begin killing the guests. One of the most dangerous of the androids is known only as Gunslinger ( Yul Brynner ) stalks and kills almost all of the guests at Westworld. In the sequel Futureworld Delos is reopened with promises the androids now have failsafes to prevent them from harming humans. Westworld, where most of the carnage took place, is replaced with two other themed areas, Spaceworld and Futureworld. The only cast member from the original to return was Yul Brynner as The Gunslinger. but only in a dream sequence as Yul only agreed to one days work.

#16 Calculon

#17 Tik Tok

#18 Elektro
Built in 1938 an put on exhibit for the first time at the1939 Worlds Fair, Elektro performed for audiences and showed them the latest Westinghouse products. In reality Elektro was an earlier version of an audio-animatronic, no different than the ones on display at the Disney parks. A human host folowed a script, reacting to  Elekrto's pre programmed movements and pre-recorded dialog, giving him the appearance of having artificial intelligence. 

#19 Mechagodzilla

#20 The Iron Giant

#21 K-9

#22 Jet Jaguar

#23 Ro-Man from the movie Robot Monster

#24 C3-PO

#25 R2-D2

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
And no B-9, strange. Thought he was a gimme?

Me too.  I actually went and double checked since I thought I made a mistake, but no, I did the math.  He appeared on four lists, but he only acquired 19 points overall.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 294
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
Here's my list!

1.   Bender (Futurama)
2.   Johnny 5 (Short Circuit)
3.   ‘80s Robot (The Muppets)
4.   Baymax (Big Hero 6)
5.   Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

6.   Tik-Tok (Return to Oz/Oz Books)
7.   Watson
8.   Marvin the Paranoid Android (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
9.   Gort (The Day the Earth Stood Still)
10.   Tom Servo (MST3k)
11.   Crow T. Robot (MST3k)
12.   V.I.N.CENT (The Black Hole)
13.   Max (Flight of the Navigator)

14.   V.I.C.I. (Small Wonder)
15.   WALL-E (WALL-E)
16.   Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet)

17.   Jinx (Spacecamp)
18.   Roy Batty (Blade Runner)
19.   Eva (Ex Machina)
20.   R2D2 (Star Wars)
21.   BB-8 (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

22.   The Electric Grandmother (Ray Bradbury short story)
23.   Bubo (The Clash of the Titans)
24.   GERTY (Moon)
25.   Bishop (Aliens)
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
I am disappointed that no real robots made the list.

• Bubs' Strong Bad Robot
  • Omega WEAPON (from Final Fantasy 11)
  • Emerald WEAPON (from Final Fantasy 7)
  • Nintendo R.O.B
  • C.H.U.M (Martin's robot friend from The Simpsons)
  • Clamps (from Futurama)
  • Marvin the Paranoid Android
  • The Energizer Bunny
  • BB (from Deadly Friend)
  • Robo (from Chrono Trigger)
  • Paulie's Robot (from Rocky 4)
  • Data (Star Trek)
  • Ro-man (from Robot Monster)
  • Bender
  • Hedonism Bot
  • Tom Servo
  • The Crushinator
  • Evil Robot Bill (from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey)
  • Evil Robot Ted (also from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey)
  • The Robot Devil
  • Mega Man
  • Johnny 5
  • Gort
  • Rosie (from The Jetsons)
  • The Terminator
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:08:28 PM by Retro Muppet Pastor »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
22.   The Electric Grandmother (Ray Bradbury short story)

That's a neat choice. I loved the made-for-TV movie back in the day, and the episode of Twilight Zone that came before it.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
That creepy robot in Rocky 4

I had that as number 11.  I think if we hadn't named them differently, it would have made the list.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
That creepy robot in Rocky 4

I had that as number 11.  I think if we hadn't named them differently, it would have made the list.

Not unless someone else had him. An entry needed 23 points to make the list. Between us that robot had 16 points.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
1. BMO (Adventure Time)
2. Wall-E
3. Bender (Futurama)

4. Robot Man (AKA Cliff Steele)
5. Crow T. Robot (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
6. K-2SO
7. R2-D2
8. BB-8
9. Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
10. Tom Servo (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
11. Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
12. C-3P0
13. ASTAR (PSA)
14. The Iron Giant
15. Marvin the Paranoid Android (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
16. Buffybot (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
17. Awesome Andy (AKA Awesome Android) Marvel Universe
18. Joe Pi (Top 10)
19. HK-47 (Knights of the Old Republic)
20. Scud, the Disposable Assassin
21. Astro Boy
22. Mr. Butlertron
23. Skeets (DC Universe)
24. Kryten (Red Dwarf)
25. Mega Man

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Seeing the name Andy made me think of deputy Andy from Eureka, another favorite that I completely forgot about.  There were several cool robots on that show...

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
If I could redo my list, it would look something like this.
1. Optimus Prime
2. Vincent
3. Megaman
4. Tom Servo
5. Crow T. Robot
6. Maximillian
7. HK-47
8. BB-8
9. R2-D2
10. The Vision
11. Hal-9000
12. Bender
13. Data
14. The Daleks
15. Nebula(From Guardians of the Galaxy)
16. K-9
17. Ultron
18. IG-88
19. Megatron
20. L3-37
21. GLaDOS
22. Nardole
23. Cambot
24. 4-Lom
25. Tars