login

Author Topic: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots Countdown! Part 2: Electric Boogaloo!  (Read 11220 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5115
  • Mr. Robot
Optimus Prime

98 Points, 5 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #1 Russoguru

Program Transforming and rolling out.

Optimus Prime is a transformer and the lead character in the Transformers franchise.  On the planet Cybertron, inhabited solely by transforming robots called transformers, two factions wage war: the noble Autobots and the insidious Decepticons.  The leader of the Autobots is Optimus Prime, and when the war lead the two factions to prehistoric Earth, they crashed, leaving both sides unconscious for millions of years.  Re-awakened once again, the Transformers took the forms of various vehicles and machines around the planet.  Optimus took the form of a transport truck and continued to fight against the Decepticons on Earth.

Optimus is a brave and noble leader and is deeply respected by his team.  Optimus possesses the Matrix of Leadership, an artifact that represents his claim to being the leader of the Autobots.  He was later killed in combat with Megatron while protecting Hot Rod, who would go on to be leader.  Optimus would return, however, in the Autobots greatest hour of need.

Trivia Optimus Prime was never intended to return to the series after the movie, but a public outcry (which surprised the producers) resulted in him returning.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OO7ehoOau5g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OO7ehoOau5g</a>

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 281
Honestly I think Michael Bay has forced me to delete Transformers from my memory bank.

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
Kryten

Kryten 2X4B-523P is a Service Mechanoid and one of the main characters in the TV series "Red Dwarf".  Kryten served aboard the ship Nova 5, until an accident killed the crew.  Kryten, in denial, continued to serve them for millions of years until he was discovered by the crew of the Red Dwarf  Due to his programming involving having a guilt chip, two crew members, Rimmer and Lister, wanted to abuse his power and teach the robot about rebellion, respectively.  Eventually Kryten chose the latter and left, only to return about a year later, becoming a full member of the crew.

Kryten is motivated by an over-active guilt chip and a preprogrammed desire to please.  Though he was taught to rebel, he constantly has difficulty doing so, even in small ways, such as harmless and obvious lying.  Over time, Kryten learns how to rebel, though still loves doing chores and helping out his shipmates.  Nonetheless, he is willing to express his disappointment and frustration with his new friends.  Despite his station, he is treated as an equal member of the crew.

Trivia The mechanoid Kryten is named after the title character from J.M. Barrie's play "The Admirable Crichton", an effortlessly competent butler to an upper-class Victorian family.

Somewhere in those Red Dwarf episodes Kryten referred to himself as having 2Q4B as his name one time. I think it occurred after the Beyond A Joke episode when he is rebuilt.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6836
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Kryten

Kryten 2X4B-523P is a Service Mechanoid and one of the main characters in the TV series "Red Dwarf".  Kryten served aboard the ship Nova 5, until an accident killed the crew.  Kryten, in denial, continued to serve them for millions of years until he was discovered by the crew of the Red Dwarf  Due to his programming involving having a guilt chip, two crew members, Rimmer and Lister, wanted to abuse his power and teach the robot about rebellion, respectively.  Eventually Kryten chose the latter and left, only to return about a year later, becoming a full member of the crew.

Kryten is motivated by an over-active guilt chip and a preprogrammed desire to please.  Though he was taught to rebel, he constantly has difficulty doing so, even in small ways, such as harmless and obvious lying.  Over time, Kryten learns how to rebel, though still loves doing chores and helping out his shipmates.  Nonetheless, he is willing to express his disappointment and frustration with his new friends.  Despite his station, he is treated as an equal member of the crew.

Trivia The mechanoid Kryten is named after the title character from J.M. Barrie's play "The Admirable Crichton", an effortlessly competent butler to an upper-class Victorian family.

Somewhere in those Red Dwarf episodes Kryten referred to himself as having 2Q4B as his name one time. I think it occurred after the Beyond A Joke episode when he is rebuilt.

from the last day: Yes, but personally I don’t much like the 2X4B. I think it’s a jerky middle name. Still, it could be worse. I once knew an android whose middle name was 2Q4B. Poor sucker!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 536
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Honestly I think Michael Bay has forced me to delete Transformers from my memory bank.
Michael Bay is one of the very few people on this Earth that I absolutely despise. I try to make that a very short list because I made a promise to myself that I would try very hard not to be such a dick anymore and to let go of a lot of toxic things in my life, including hatred. That way, at least I can rationalize some emotions such as despising... which is more okay with me than other emotions such as hatred.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5675
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Michael Bay is one of the very few people on this Earth that I absolutely despise. I try to make that a very short list because I made a promise to myself that I would try very hard not to be such a dick anymore and to let go of a lot of toxic things in my life, including hatred. That way, at least I can rationalize some emotions such as despising... which is more okay with me than other emotions such as hatred.
Me too. He represents everything wrong with modern blockbuster filmmaking.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 130
  • We are the road crew!
Optimus Prime is, call me crazy, one terrific guy, and he is high up on my list! When it comes to epic, I think of Transformers the movie 1986. Not to say the weekly show isn't cool too, but that movie, as we've honored on several lists, quite the thing. Also some of the comics are cool. Thumbs up, Optimus Prime.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I loved robots when I was a little kid but Optimus Prime was the one who really made me believe robots were totally awesome.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
T-800

99 Points, 10 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #8 Psycho Goatee

Program Terminate.

The T-800 is a robot assassin that appears in the movie "The Terminator" and it's many sequels and spin-offs.  In a post-apocalyptic future, robots have revolted against humanity.  The robots were defeated by a human, John Connor, but not long after, one of the robots, the T-800 is sent back in time to kill John's mother before her son can be born.  The T-800 immediately began systematically murdering every woman named Sarah Connor.  Eventually he was defeated.  Later, another T-800 was sent back in time, this time reprogrammed by John's faction to protect John as a young man.

The T-800 is a ruthless, relentless killing machine.  Though it looks human, the T-800 is covered in living flesh but contains a robotic skeleton underneath.  The machine is impervious to bullets and heavy physical damage.  The T-800 is emotionless, though reprogrammed T-800s have learned emotions for themselves.  Generally speaking, they retain their killer instinct but are very protective and understand the concept of self-sacrifice, which is what often happens to them.

Trivia Arnold Schwarzenegger originally wanted to play Kyle Reese. But James Cameron had a different idea and saw Schwarzenegger in the title role of The Terminator and Cameron said to Schwarzenegger, "This movie is not about the hero. It's about The Terminator."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t7jzmW9tYX0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t7jzmW9tYX0</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
Huh, I can't wait to see what familiar faces are likely to break the top 10.  ;D

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
To kinda quote Spaceballs: "8? What happened to 9?"

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Whoops.  Working on that now.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
BB-8

108 Points, 8 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #6 Linszoid

Program Astromech, Soccer Ball

BB-8 (or Beebee-Ate) is a droid character in the Star Wars franchise, appearing in both the 2015 Star Wars: The Force Awakens and 2017 Star Wars: The Last Jedi films. Spherical with a free-moving domed head, BB-8 is portrayed by both a rod puppet and a remote-controlled robotic unit.

BB-8 is a spherical robot with a free-moving domed head. It is white, with orange and silver accents and a black optical lens on its headpiece. BB-8 also possesses multiple panels containing various tools or ports. Scanlan said of the robot's personality, "We always imagined BB-8 as being quite manipulative. I think he knows he’s cute. He knows that he can win people over. And he uses that, like children do, to get his own way. In this film, he has a very important mission that he has to accomplish and so he uses his personality, his coyness, and all of those things." Of BB-8's gender he said, "I'm still not sure, dare I say, whether BB-8 is male or female ... BB-8 was female in our eyes. And then he or she became male. And that's all part of the evolution, not only visually, but in the way they move, how they hold themselves."

Calling the robot a "Swiss Army Knife that shouldn’t be trusted", he noted that while each of the BB-8's panels has a specific purpose, like a port or tool, not all of them have been absolutely defined to leave options for future films.

Trivia Ben Schwartz was recruited by J.J. Abrams to provide voice effects for BB-8 after the two met and became friends on the short-lived NBC show Undercovers (2010), where Schwartz was a supporting actor, and Abrams was an Executive Producer. Schwartz and co-voicer Bill Hader, a friend of both men, were asked by Abrams to not disclose their involvement in the film until it had its world premiere. They agreed, and Schwartz broke the news by posing for an Instagram post with him standing next to a BB-8 figure at the event.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mjsZa1luKwA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mjsZa1luKwA</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
Yay! BB-8 cracked the top 10! Sweet!  ;D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
One of my favorite moments in Star Wars history is when all the fans were complaining about how fake and obviously-CGI he was, and then they held that press conference with a fully functional BB-8 to show them how actually-real and not-at-all-CGI he was.