login

Author Topic: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots Countdown! Part 2: Electric Boogaloo!  (Read 11666 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Trivia It was Paul Reuben's idea to make the identity of the actor providing the voice of Max a mystery and he was credited as "Paul Mall".

Yeah, he left some subtle clues in his performance, though.

I totally spaced (Ha HA!) on Max. When I'm thinking of robots, I don't often think of sentient spaceships. He totally counts, he just didn't come up in my mind when I was filtering through awesome robots. Love Flight of the Navigator to death.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5138
  • Mr. Robot
Roberto

28 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #9 Stethacantus

Program Be crazy

Roberto is a crazy criminal robot who frequently appears in Futurama.  He was originally built to be insane, but according to Roberto, they failed.  Of course, Roberto is clearly insane, so they succeeded.  Just don't tell Roberto that.  Roberto has threatened the Planet Express crew multiple times and has died twice, once from execution and later from eating Hermes skin, which is spicy from eating spicy food.  Which seems like kind of an unwoke joke. Anyway, Roberto was somehow rebuilt for reasons unknown.

Roberto is extremely paranoid and dangerous, often weilding a knife to threaten his victims.  He is often sent to a robot insane asylum and also escapes quite often.  He gets along pretty well with Bender, as they are both criminals who seem to love committing crimes.

Trivia Roberto was built in 3001, meaning he was around under one year old in his first appearance.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hg1fyWkJ_E8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hg1fyWkJ_E8</a>

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 293
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
Flight of the Navigator is definitely the best childrens sci fi movie of the 80s. It's amazing that Disney was able to produce such a movie which was different from their usual schlock. I'm happy that someone else also put Max on their list.

'Twas me. I love FOTN so much. That, and Girls Just Want To Have Fun, fostered my Sarah Jessica Parker crush as a boy.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Roy Batty

31 Points, 3 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #13 Charles Castle

Program Off world worker

Roy Batty is a replicant worker turned renegade in the film Blade Runner.  Replicants are bioengineered artificial humans designed to be workers.  Replicants are strong and powerful but have severely shortened life spans. Batty, wanting to extend his lifespan arrives on Earth with a crew of Replicants in the hopes of finding a way of doing so directly from the Tyrell Corporation, the company that created them.  This puts him into conflict with Rick Deckard, who is a "blade runner", a hunter of renegade replicants.

Batty is strong, intelligent, dangerous and unafraid to kill.  But despite is capability for brutality, he is motivated by his desire to keep living and cares about his companions.  He even is capable of showing mercy to Deckard, despite having every reason to want him dead.  Though that also might have something to do with his last act of defience before nearly dying.

Trivia Rutger Hauer came up with many inventive ideas for his characterization, like the moment where he grabs and fondles a dove. He also improvised the now-iconic line "All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain". He later chose "All those moments" as the title of his autobiography.

Spoilers for Blade Runner...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nIDlTGd7Y9U" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nIDlTGd7Y9U</a>

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
That guy is classy as hell, and I goofed by not including him. I did think of Pris for a moment when making my list though, who inspired the name Priss in the 80s cyberpunk anime Bubblegum Crisis as well folks. And I enjoyed the 1998 reboot of Bubblegum Crisis as well.

But anyhoo Blade Runner is great! I did not think the new one lived up to it, felt like it had too much modern blockbuster in it's DNA oddly enough, though the first half had some of those intimate moments and noir vibe I like.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot

Jet Jaguar

31 Points, 4 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #14 Linszoid

Program Monster fighting

Jet Jaguar is a size-changing robot who appears in the film "Godzilla Vs. Megalon".  Jet was built by Goro Ibuki for... reasons.  I mean, why not, right?  He looks cool.  Anyway, Jet is stolen by the people from the city of Seatopia who were looking to use Jet to lead the giant monster Megalon to Tokyo.  Goro regained control of the robot and soon Jet and Godzilla end up teaming against Megalon and his tag partner Gigan.

Originally, Jet was going to appear in his own film in an attempt to hop on the Ultraman bandwagon, but fearing that he wasn't a big enough name to carry his own film, Godzilla was added to his film and given top billing.  Though Jet appears in only one Godzilla film, he has appeared in a number of video games, as well as the TV series Godzilla Island, whih was a show with three minute episodes with character portrayed by action figures.

Trivia Jet was created by a fan for a contest and was submitted under the name "Red Alone"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-8GUDjP1pWM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-8GUDjP1pWM</a>

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
Jet Jaguar is great! I love the Godzilla series, but the MST3k ep definitely helps that particular movie out too. And I liked playing as Jet Jaguar in those xbox/gamecube fighting games Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and whatnot.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
That's it for tonight.  See you on Monday with more!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Jet Jaguar? really? I half expect him to axe the door I'm hiding behind just so he can do his Ed Mcmahon impression.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
That's it for tonight.  See you on Monday with more!

Monday??   :grr:  What, does the List of Crap not work on the Sabbath?

Just busting your balls.  Hey, I can host the next list, whatever the topic may be.  Just gonna put that out there right now if you wanna take a break.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Usually we don't do things that way.  But if I am the next host, I probably be happy to do a "co-host" and you can do the lion's share if it is a topic that interests you.  Like, I'll even do the math for you if that's the part that's boring for you.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
The Daleks

33 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #9 RVR II

Program Extermination

The Daleks are an alien race of mutants that appear in the TV series Doctor Who.  Originally, they were the Kaled race of peoples who were warring for thousands of years with the aliens known as the Thal on the planet Skaro.  Davros, a brilliant scientist, came up with an idea to mutate his people into a new life form in order to conquer the world and finally end the war.  He transformed them into Daleks: small slimy creatures capable of surviving in small tanks.  The war did end but the Daleks were trapped for many years in their base and the planet Skaro became extremely radioactive.

Eventually, the Daleks were free and encountered the Doctor, a time travelling alien and were defeated by him after they attempted once more to kill the Thal.  Later, the Daleks achieved intergalactic travel and with their conviction that they are the only worthy lifeforms, began a campaign of the extermination of all other forms of life, only to be stopped again and again by the Doctor.

Trivia The series was originally devised as an educational program for kids, with co-creator Sydney Newman having no intention of featuring "bug eyed monsters." The first episodes featured cavemen. But when the Daleks were introduced, the attitude of the program was forever changed. Even so, the series continued to alternate between science fiction and purely historical stories for several seasons.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O-9M69-rdE8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O-9M69-rdE8</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
The Vision

35 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #8 Russoguru

Program Helping people

The Vision is a robot superhero in the Marvel Universe.  A robot created by Ultron (though in some retellings, he's a repurposed robot because sometimes comics want to be needlessly complicated) to defeat the Avengers.  However, the Avengers convinced the Vision to turn against his creator and even tries about it like a big stupid baby.

The Vision went onto join the Avengers as one of their most trusted members.  He's been destroyed, rebuilt and most recently started a family, including a daughter Viv Vision, who has become a superhero herself.  The Vision has long struggled with the nature of his humanity but he is undeniably kind-hearted.  He has a multitude of powers including flight, shooting lasers and being able to change his density so he can become super dense and durable or can pass through matter with ease.

Trivia The android Vision was introduced in Avengers by Roy Thomas as an alternative to bringing back a Golden Age hero of the same name, an alien whose real name was Aarkus, as a new addition to the team. However, Thomas's editor, Stan Lee, insisted that the team's new member should be an android instead, for which Thomas created a new character, but with a similar appearance and mysterious nature to his desired choice.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NtVBqsgueRs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NtVBqsgueRs</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Robot Santa Claus

35 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #2 Stethacantus

Program Determining who is naughty and nice, murdering accordingly

Robot Santa is a murderous... Santa who appears in the TV series Futurama.  Robot Santa was initially created to be like the legendary Santa and give out gifts to good boys and to punish naughty ones.  However, Santa's standards were set ridiculously high, meaning next to no one gets put on the nice list.  Even worst, Santa attempts to kill all who are naughty, meaning that Christmas Eve has become an annual bloodbath.

Santa eventually targeted the Planet Express crew, who were able to fight him off.  Years later, they managed to defeat Robot Santa and have the robot Bender replace him and be like how Santa should be.  Unfortunately, after many generations of horror, the world wasn't ready for a "good" Santa and attempted to put the new Santa to death.  Robot Santa eventually freed himself and let Bender off with a grim warning.  Robot Santa is friends with Kwanzaabot and the Hanukkah Zombie.

Trivia Though voiced by John Goodman in his first appearance, he was voiced by John DiMaggio ever since.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nbMq4NCHuhU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nbMq4NCHuhU</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
There's only one robot from Futurama for me... and unfortunately that's not him either.