login

Author Topic: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots Countdown! Part 2: Electric Boogaloo!  (Read 9021 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 108
  • We are the road crew!
Nice to see C3P0 getting some respect. In Kevin Smith's epic spoken review of The Last Jedi, it was funny how he was pointing out that nobody seems to acknowledge C3P0 much. Legendary and hilarious droid that guy.

Also legendary and hilarious, gotta love Data. Recently watched TNG season 6 episode 18, Starship Mine, when Data is learning about making small talk and enthusiastically impersonating that guy who is an exuberant small talker, that was legendary.

On Marvin, I've seen both of those live action adaptations, and have had the books on my pile forever. Gotta read those.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 425
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Was Marvin in the movie? I can't recall because it's been so long since I've seen it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2525
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Was Marvin in the movie? I can't recall because it's been so long since I've seen it.

Yes, but I didn't like the design, big round head on small body.

Also, he was voiced by Alan Rickman, great choice but after the radio and TV shows it was really hard to hear Marvin with a new voice.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:48:13 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4893
  • Mr. Robot

Yes, but I didn't like the design, big round head on small body.

I never saw the movie, but I wasn't a fan of the design either, mostly because I always imagine Marvin as a clunky, boxy 1950's-style robot.  Still, the big round head is actually kind of a cute touch, since he constantly talks about having a brain the size of a planet...

Last day, last four entries.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
R2-D2

185 Points, 13 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #1 MartyS (Gromit)

Program Astromech

R2-D2 is an astromech droid who appears in the Star Wars franchise.  Let's skip over the prequels again, and start with the good movies.  A droid for the rebellion, he was granted a secret message for an important figure in the rebellion, Princess Leia Organa, to Obi Wan Kenobi.  He eventually was found by farmer Luke Skywalker who took him to Obi Wan.  R2-D2 then joined Luke, Obi Wan, his friend C-3PO, smuggler Han Solo and his partner Chewbacca on a mission to the Death Star.  Since then, R2-D2 has proven himself a powerful ally of the rebellion, often assisting Luke as a pilot and using his abilities to save his friends.

R2-D2 is often partnered with the droid C-3PO and often acts much more impulsively than his friend.  He is also more brave and clever, often showing up C-3PO's naysaying with his own abilities and despite the fact that he is not built for combat, his ingenuity has served him well in protecting his friends.  R2 contains a number of tools including rocket booster, holoprojector/recorder, periscope, fire extinguisher, hidden lightsaber compartment with ejector, small saw, electro-shock prod (electric shock), data probe, utility arm, and a life-form scanner.

Trivia George Lucas came up with the name R2-D2 during post-production of American Graffiti (1973). One of the sound crew wanted Lucas to retrieve Reel #2 of the Second Dialogue track. In post-production parlance, this came out as, "Could you get R2-D2 for me?" Lucas liked the sound of that and noted it down for future use.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ELPlgKB9n8E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ELPlgKB9n8E</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
So I think we ALL know what two robots will be in the top three... the question is what order they'll be in, and whether or not one of them will somehow be number one.

My guess is that it'll be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:57:25 AM by Russoguru »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Tom Servo

229 Points, 13 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #2 Darth Geek

Program Mockery

Tom Servo is a bot who appears in the TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Servo was one of 3 (possibly four.  Has it been established Cambot was built by Joel or was he just on the ship already?) robots made by Joel Robinson to keep him company in the Satelilte of Love after he was Stranded in Space (unlike the movie "Stranded in Space" in which no one is stranded in space.)  As Joel was being subjected to bad movies in an attempt to drive him insane, Tom and one of the other bots, Crow, would watch the movies with him, mocking them to keep their sanity.  Joel would go onto leave and Tom and Crow lived with the new test subject Mike Nelson for a while.  Eventually, they escaped and Tom and Crow lived in with Mike for a while.  Later, for reasons unknown, Tom and Crow returned to the Satelite of Love and became part of the tests once more, this time with Jonah Heston as the test subject.

Tom Servo, like Crow, is known for his acerbic wit and fun-loving attitude.  Though as much of a goofball as the other members of the crew, he is often more of an intellectual, both with surprising scientific acumen (though usually not as much as Gypsy) and has more sophisticated tastes in art (most of the time).  Tom, however, can get easily flustered in hard situations to the point where he will break down crying quite easily.  He also has an underwear collection that he is particularly proud of.  He and Crow see each other as brothers, which leads to both affection and friction between the two.  Servo also has a large number of duplicates throughout the ship.  It is also likely that, several times over, the Servo we know might not be the same as the original.

Trivia Servo was named after a candy dispenser called Servotron. J. Elvis Weinstein, who played Servo for the first two seasons, gave him the first name Tom.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K_rE-p9fgIM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K_rE-p9fgIM</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5530
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
I can hear Tom start crying already.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
Well, I guess I was... sort of, kind of, almost on the right track. So I'm guessing now that it'll be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
Has it been established Cambot was built by Joel or was he just on the ship already?
My assumption was always that Dr. Forrester had the camera there to keep track of his subject, and Joel made it into an independent robot.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
I didn't even intend to, but as soon as I started reading the description of Tom I read it in Kevin Murphy's voice.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 347
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Thought for the next list (before I forget it again): Top 50 Sports (real and fictional).
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 108
  • We are the road crew!
Tom Servo and R2D2, I gotta say, they're cool dudes.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Bender

249 Points, 13 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #1 Charles Castle, Cole Stratton, goflyblind, Linszoid, and Pak-Man

Program Bending

Bender Bending Rodríguez is a drunken robot in the TV series "Futurama".  Created in the late 30th century, Bender was built to bend steal girders.  However, he decided to quit when he discovered that the girders he bent were made to make suicide booths.  While attempting to commit suicide in a suicide booth, he met Fry, a young man from the 20th century who needed a job.  Together with Leela, a Fate Assignment Officer who decides she wants to change jobs.  The three of them end up joining the Planet Express delivery company, where Bender becomes the company's chef.

Bender is a heavy drinker, due to the fact that robots run on alcohol and he acts the most drunken when denying himself drinks.  He is a criminal and often delights in cruelty, ripping people off and violence and is more likely to do a job if it is a criminal endevour.  He has many vices and is extremely proud of them and his ability to indulge in them in extreme ways, if possible.  Despite his rude and crude attitude, Bender does have a sensative side and shows empathy for turtles, one of the few lifeforms he has empathy for.  He also is easily upset when people, especially his best friend Fry, treat him differently or ignore him, often causing him to act out or manipulate people to get attention.  Bender have many passions, including a desire to be a folk singer and a love of cooking, despite the fact that his inability to judge the taste of food makes him a terrible cook.
Bender's chest also contains a small door that seems to be able to keep a ridiculous amount of things in them. 

Trivia Matt Groening modeled the look of Bender after the robot Necron 99/Peace from the 1977 Ralph Bakshi animated post-apocalyptic fantasy film Wizards (1977).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1sNMHdaJx5c" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1sNMHdaJx5c</a>

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 254