login

Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers thread*  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers thread*
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
What if, instead of eliminating half the lives of the universe, he just doubled the resources?

Typical pessimist!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6819
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
wait, couldn't he use the mind gem to convince sentient creatures to be better at conservation?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2018, 07:08:27 AM »
wait, couldn't he use the mind gem to convince sentient creatures to be better at conservation?

There are a lot of things he can do with the full set of Infinity Stones, he is essentially an omnipotent being. But he doesn't because he is so set in his plan.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »

There are a lot of things he can do with the full set of Infinity Stones, he is essentially an omnipotent being. But he doesn't because he is so set in his plan.

I think that maybe the gauntlet and the stones are weaker than they were in the comics.  I have the distinct feeling that the Snapture burnt out the glove.  His transport away from Earth was part of that same action.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 363
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »

Of course Thanos isn't rational. He's an ideologue. If you look at any political tyrant in history, there's a lot of things they *could* have done better. Something about power and being set in their own ways, beliefs, and surrounding themselves with yes men seems to be a constant throughout history. Thanos fits all too well in that crowd.

This guy breaks it down perfectly. (warning: leans politically left, but you can invert the belief system and it will make just as much sense.)

And if you don't want to click the link, I'll share the text here in a spoiler for length:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And if you want the short version (I highly recommend reading what's above): Check your news. There are people everywhere with terrible solutions to very real problems. Imagine giving any one of them absolute power.

I think that maybe the gauntlet and the stones are weaker than they were in the comics.
Abso-stinkin-lutely! Re-watch Guardians 1 again. Why does Ronan have to touch the planet before he can destroy it after obtaining the power stone? No reason other than it's more dramatic that way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:01:27 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
What if, instead of eliminating half the lives of the universe, he just doubled the resources?
Typical pessimist!
Someone explained to me the reason Thanos couldn't just create more resources, unfortunately I can't recall it as of right now. I think that creating more resources has its drawbacks and is... at least in Thanos's eyes a solution that would work only temporarily.

Btw I know the Infinity Gauntlet appears to be complete toast at the end of IW... but Thanos was still able to use the Space Stone to escape. SO... does the gauntlet still work or not?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »

That would assume that Republican's have minds

:rimshot:

Sorry! Wrong thread!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
I wonder if the Gauntlet being damaged will be a factor in the next movie. It wasn't in the comics, so it seems like a deliberate change.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2018, 04:58:56 AM »
Btw I know the Infinity Gauntlet appears to be complete toast at the end of IW... but Thanos was still able to use the Space Stone to escape. SO... does the gauntlet still work or not?

Likely that escape was part of the same overall action as the snap that killed half the universe.  It's like having one wish but wording it in such a way to get two different things out of it. 

Stories about genies never seem to make it clear if you can use conjunctions and complex sentences in your wish.  Like could you say "I wish to have a billion dollars and a stunningly hot supermodel wife"?  Or does that count as two wishes?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the DVD of this contains special features?  The Blu-Ray does, but I can't find out for sure on the DVD.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
Does anyone know if the DVD of this contains special features?  The Blu-Ray does, but I can't find out for sure on the DVD.
AFAIK for at least the past 4-5 years now they have been phasing special features out of DVD's and have been reserving them for the Blu-ray and 4k Ultra HD releases. Nowadays most big releases have the feature only and little else aside from scene selection and language menus.

Getting back to something else I was addressing in this thread earlier...If Thanos DID use the Gauntlet to double the resources everywhere, in his mind that would be an even more cruel solution because doubling the resources would just eventually lead to more demand. To see the full solution I'm talking about, check out Comic Book Girl 19's Youtube channel.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2018, 02:23:10 AM »
AFAIK for at least the past 4-5 years now they have been phasing special features out of DVD's and have been reserving them for the Blu-ray and 4k Ultra HD releases. Nowadays most big releases have the feature only and little else aside from scene selection and language menus.

Oh poop.  I wish I had realized that before I started buying the DVDs.  I bit the bullet and bought a low end Blu Ray player for 35 bucks.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
Oh poop.  I wish I had realized that before I started buying the DVDs.  I bit the bullet and bought a low end Blu Ray player for 35 bucks.
I got a Sony blu-ray player really cheap like 4 or 5 years ago(But it was cheap so it's not exactly top of the line). I also have a PS3 i got back in 2015. I also have an Xbox one I just got almost a year ago. Between all those I technically have three blu-ray players and one 4k Ultra HD player... don't get me wrong though, a lot of times I just prefer to watch a DVD on my one remaining DVD player. Recently I got rid of my VCR along with all my VHS tapes so I'm stuck with just the disc format of media.... oh yeah, AND digital too, to be fair.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:15:14 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
So a couple of "titles" have leaked online.  One is Avengers: End Game.  The other is Avengers: Annihilation. Thoughts?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »
So a couple of "titles" have leaked online.  One is Avengers: End Game.  The other is Avengers: Annihilation. Thoughts?
I honestly cannot imagine it would be called "Endgame". Also, really not too keen on "Annihilation" either. Honestly, I would bet more on a title like "Avengers: A New Captain"(I know that sounds kind of silly but at least it makes sense... to a certain extent). I know, my opinion isn't exactly likely to sway the Russos decision or whoever's in charge of titling the film, but I really think that the safest bets are on titles like "Avengers Assembled", "The New Avengers", "Avengers Forever" or "Avengers: Secret War".