login

Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers thread*  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers thread*
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
I went back a few pages and did not find a thread for Infinity war so I just started this thread. Feel free to comment all the spoilers you want, but the second I'm done posting this thread I will be avoiding it completely until I come home from seeing the film late Thursday night.

The reviews btw are in and by and large, while they don't match how great the reviews were for Black panther, it's still pretty evident to me that this is a great movie.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 188
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers thread*
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »
I'm pretty psyched.  I had a ticket for a screening in the IMAX 2D auditorium tomorrow.  But then I got impatient and bought a ticket for a regular screening tonight.  Maybe I will see the IMAX version next week.  I never could get a straight answer on what IMAX actually is.  They say it shoots differently somehow, but I don't get how it is supposed to look different on the actual screen.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2752
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
IMAX is worth the extra money (to me) if you don't mind putting down the extra cash. I'm not even sure what looks different, but the screen is bigger and there's something about the way the image looks that makes it feel slightly 3D, even with 2D movies. Something to do with the film going sideways instead of downward.

• Big Montana
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
Holy crap that was awesome!  It absolutely lives up to the hype.  It was like 5 movies rolled in to one.  And that ending.....  what a cliffhanger.  Can't wait for part 2 next year!

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »
Yeah my feelings reflect yours Retro Muppet Pastor. This is most certainly the "Empire strikes back" of the MCU, and I guess that kinda makes Thanos Darth Vader. For now anyway, this is definitely my favorite movie of the entire MCU... better than Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Civil War, Avengers 1, and Thor Ragnarok. I think what a lot of people are going to take away from this film is a lot of very raw emotions. I know that's how I felt when the movie closed... with half the population of the galaxy dead(Hey, this is the spoilers thread, I warned you, it's in the title of the thread man!). Anyway I'm going to see it again with my Dad on Saturday and again with a very close friend of mine next Thursday night.

I feel that the bleakness of the ending was balanced out well by having so many great cheer worthy moments in the film. Everybody was fantastic and this movie reminded me why I love all these characters so much... even if it did have me shedding a tear or three.

Make sure and stay after the credits! There's a pretty cool easter egg that should leave viewers with at least... well, a smidgen of hope.
What the hell am I saying? This is the SPOILERS THREAD! At the very end Nick Fury calls on Captain Marvel for help(Correct me if I'm wrong though).

My only complaint was that first trailer we got that showed the Hulk at the very end... Bruce Banner does NOT turn into the hulk on the fields of Wakanda. In fact he's pretty much Bruce Banner for 99% of the movie. Now, I know a lot of people are going to say the film was overstuffed, and with tons of great characters it's easy to get sidetracked, but I think that Anthony and Joe Russo did in this movie what they always do best... get the viewer emotionally invested in what all the characters are going through, and you're already halfway there.

Thanos? I mean... god damn! Maybe I'm leaving out a few examples that I'm thinking of but he is one of the best cinematic villains of all time, he is just so well-rounded, so well-realized that he kind of takes the reigns away from the Avengers in this film.

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:33:48 AM »
I do like that they gave Thanos some good motivations.  He thinks he is doing good.  It's a pretty twisted morality, but in his own mind he's doing really bad things for the greater good.  It's not just a power play for the sake of power. 

I hated the new look they gave to Captain America.  I didn't recognize him for the whole film.

I know that in the comics, Nebula was somehow the key to stopping Thanos after he had collected all the stones.  I think she's still alive at the end.  I forget.  Any damage he did can be undone by another person with the gauntlet.  Iron Man is obviously instrumental in the eventual victory.  Doctor Strange saw this, hence his decision to give up the Time Stone to save him and his declaration at the end that "It was the only way".  Doctor Strange knows the one path that leads to victory, as indiscernible as it might be to everyone now.

Peter Dinklage as a giant was a real mindbender.

I wonder how this movie would hold up as a standalone feature.  It seemed like there was a lot of continuity lockout with all the references to previous installments.

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »
I am looking forward to the review by Peter Rosenthal (head film critic for The Onion).

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3429
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:38:23 AM »
Loki was the hardest death for me to watch. I think he may have been my favorite character inthe mcu

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
Whatever happened to Wanda Maximoff's voice?  Didn't she have an Eastern European accent?

People always talk about how hot Scarlet Johannsen is, but I think Elizabeth Olsen is the prettiest actress in the MCU.  The most handsome, of course, is Red Skull.

Speaking of which, that was pretty awesome to see Red Skull again.  I've spent nearly 7 years wondering what happened to him after he vanished into the Tesseract.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
I loved the connection they made between Rocket's love of prosthetics and Thor's need of prosthetics.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5361
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
I had an absolute blast with this movie! It felt long, but in the same way as Fellowship of the Rings where I could have watched it keep going for many hours past that.
While they did change Thanos' motivation from the comics, where he is in love with the personification of Death, this new motivation is almost actually better. Because not only is in unique, it's actually selfless. This movie did a great job with making Thanos a well rounded character.
The only thing I thought was missing was for a reason for Thanos to have paid attention to Gamora as a child. He says she is an impressive fighter, but we don't see her fighting. She's just in the crowd.
One thing that did seem odd. Did anybody else think that sometimes Thanos sounded more like Ron Perlman than Josh Brolin?
While he certainly isn't the only black person in the movie, having Heimdall be the first name casualty means this movie did kill the black guy first.
I did like what they did with Hulk. Having him lose in a one on one fight with Thanos right away is surprising and establishes Thanos as a significant threat. But more importantly having Banner unable to turn into the Hulk was something we haven't seen before. While they didn't say it out loud here, I'm sure they will in the next one. For once Hulk isn't angry, Hulk is afraid.

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
Didn't Loki die a little bit before Heimdall?

God.... that ending though.  It's so haunting.  I'm sure it will get better somehow in the sequel next year.  All these iconic characters turning to ash and evaporating.  It gives me the willies right now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:14:16 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5361
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
Didn't Loki die a little bit before Heimdall?

D'oh! Yes, you're right.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 12:17:09 PM »
Heimdall died first

Another great line was that Thor learned Groot in high scool.