Author Topic: Riffing a Good Movie...  (Read 23949 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Riffing a Good Movie...
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
Rifftrax is clearly an outgrowth from MST3K. So, I would hope that MN is not riffing movies that he actually believes are good. That would strike me as simply malevolent. You don't make fun of something you really value and enjoy. It would be like making fun of your wife just to be making fun of her. That's mean.

The bottom line is that they are just movies! Mike makes me laugh. If he does it at the expense of a favorite movie of mine then so be it. I rag on movies I like all the time because it is just a movie. If Mike riffed on my wife however then there would be trouble. Also if I held a movie in the same regard as my wife, I think I wouldn't have a wife for much longer.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3213
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »
Well put, Mr. Torso! :^)

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »
Personally i really dont care. I mean they have already done one movie i like already and im fine with that. All the Priceline jokes where really worth it anyways.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:07:43 PM by Road_Element »

Offline JohnH

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm a little surprised, but not much really, that I'm in the minority in that I really didn't like X-Men.  It was a big-budget goofy action movie that thought it was a lot more important than it actually was.

It was also based upon what I consider to be a particularly over-rated comic book.

Offline Robotech_Master

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
You can't ignore the whole MST3K pretext here. Rifftrax is clearly an outgrowth from MST3K. So, I would hope that MN is not riffing movies that he actually believes are good. That would strike me as simply malevolent. You don't make fun of something you really value and enjoy.

Note that even MST3K did "good" movies from time to time. For example, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is widely considered a classic of the cyberpunk genre; the fact that it was done on a cheap TV budget and is a little corny by today's standards makes it easy to ridicule, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a classic. In fact, I'd say that a number of the movies they did (not all, not even a majority, but a number of them) were considered good films in their day, and it was only the passage of time that rendered them hokey.

Besides which, there's a long tradition of making fun of (not to mention directly insulting) things or people you value as a means of paying tribute to them; it's called roasting.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 04:17:10 PM »
Im sorry but Overdrawn at the memory bank a classic???

That movie and Manos are the some of the only MST3K movies that I have a hard time watching with out wanting to drill a hole through my head.

:-",

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »
Im sorry but Overdrawn at the memory bank a classic???

You took the words right out of my mouth!

As for riffing on good movies, my worry is that every time I'd watch the movie after that, I'd have the riffs in my head and it would get in the way of just enjoying the movie. Kind of like how every time I hear Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik now, I get in my head the words "LOO-ney TUNES on Nick-e-lo-de-on!" (There was a commercial to that effect a few years ago.) I didn't care much one way or the other about X-Men; I liked it all right but didn't love it and never would have got around to watching it again but for Mike. But if it were a movie I really cared about, it would be different.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
Also saying that X-men is a good movie may be going alittle far.....servicable? Sure. Good....no.

I personally have a strong seething hatred for this and the other two x films....but thats just me and im a huge comic geek.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
As for riffing on good movies, my worry is that every time I'd watch the movie after that, I'd have the riffs in my head and it would get in the way of just enjoying the movie.

Well if Mike ever did Superman the Movie. I just couldnt force myself to watch it with mike's Rifftrax. I mean thats a movie i grew up with and loved ever since i was 5 years old. It would kinda hard to watch with someone riffing it. Now if he wants to do Superman 3.4. & Supergirl or even Superman Returns.  To me that would be fine.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 05:51:03 PM by Road_Element »

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »
Well I can understand that...but I can imagine that I would be able to watch X-men with out having the riffs in my head. I would still hate it...but I could do it.

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »
Even "sacred cows" need a tipping every now and then... think of it as a good natured roast of a deserving guest.

Like the Shatner roast... wait... scratch that.

Offline Conc

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Steve Concotelli
    • Sharecrow
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 10:14:15 PM »
Can you guys create .cro files for the versions of X-Men that you're using?  I will test them on my system at home, to see how universal they are.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 10:26:45 PM »
I'm assuming we just email them to you?

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2006, 10:43:40 PM »
I too, like the first X-Men movie. I thought it was well acted and well directed and there's some really great scenes. But at the same I really don't like the script and the direction the story line goes, and how they really changed the characters alot.

To tell you the truth, I didn't like the Riff Track a whole lot. Mike's little part about Magneto's background really bothered me. As a fan of comic, I sincerely believe some parts of the X-Men mythos are very poinant and darn right necessary when getting to the soul of the comic and why it has lasted nearly 40 years. And I know as a comic fan, some people think that they have the right and duty to call me a loser and tell me to grow up if I have ANY feelings whatsoever about the original storyline.

So, I thought the riff track came off as kind of pot-shotty and somewhat phoned in. Not that it wasn't fun, I wouldn't ask for a refund. I have mixed feelings about the movie and track. so that's that
I really do like pie.

Offline ecrose

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »
Any one else torn?

I am a long time fan of MST3K so I was really glad to see Mike and company back in action, but I am also a long time X-Men fan. I'm kinda afraid of what Mike and Bill might say, although as an X-Men fan I know there is a lot open to riffing. Just imagine if they would have worn their comic costumes, that alone would take up half the comments.

As far as doing good movies, I think some of the best comedy comes from so called good movies.  The blockbuster specials were hilarous. A funny person can find the humour in anything, and lets face it, even die hard X-men fans (such as myslef) know that this stuff gets a little ridiculous.