Author Topic: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots! Part 2!  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4395
  • Mr. Robot
List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots! Part 2!
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zo9hqmkEfEY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zo9hqmkEfEY</a>

Robots.  They are great.  Merriam-Webster's defines robots as "a machine that resembles a living creature in being capable of moving independently (as by walking or rolling on wheels) and performing complex actions (such as grasping and moving objects)".  So, yeah.  Why are we so fascinated with robots?  This is, of course, assuming you are fascinated with robots and why wouldn't you be?  But it taps into a lot of different aspects of curiosity.  Mankind can make life, certainly, but can we craft it?  Or can we make a tool with a certain level of autonomy that can replicate what a living thing is capable of.  And, of course, stories with AI raises questions about creatures that might have a radically different way of thinking or life experience.  But most importantly, robots are cool because they shoot lasers out of their eyes.  Pew pew!

So now we are looking to celebrate our favourite robots with a list.  So let's do that.

Now, for you first timers, here's how our very easy activity works:

HOW IT WORKS:

Create a list of your favorite robot, each numbered from 1 to 25 like so:

1. Your favorite robot.
2. Your second favorite robot.
3. Your third most favorite robot.
And so on until you get to #25.

Once the list is complete, send it to me via Personal Message, not via this thread.

When all submissions are in, I'll score them. Your #1 choice gets 25 points, your #2 choice gets 24, all the way down to your #25 choice, which gets 1. I add up the points, and then rank the robots in a list here in this forum for your enjoyment. Should you submit a list of less than 25 items, then your points are reduced accordingly. A list with only 5 entries only gets 5 points for the number one choice, so the more you can think of, the better.

Qualifications:
1) It has to be a robot.  Androids and synthezoids and stuff life that count.  Cyborgs or computers not so much.  Or, at the very least, said cyborg should be MUCH more of a robot than a person.  Like, Darth Vader definitely doesn't count.  The Terminator, which is a robot with a flesh covering, totally does.  Use your best judgment.

2) This can include real world robots, too.  So car-making arms and roombas count.

3) What about people disguised as robots?  Eh.... Only if it is a defining character trait.  Seems not in the spirit to vote for Homer Simpson because there was one episode where he disguised himself as a robot.  But if there's a character who has been often disguised as a robot you can vote for them or their robot guise, guys.

4) Mechs?  Those things that are like robots that you ride around in like a vehicle?  Totally counts.

I hope that covers everything and that I'm not forgetting anything.  The due date is April 22nd!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2581
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: List of Crap #109: Top 50 Robots! Part 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
"You're not the boss of Tigerbot Hesh!" is an often-used quote in this household. I have no idea how it comes up as often as it does.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
Definitely a go to for me for a long while.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2293
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
Got my preliminary list of 33, now on to the sorting.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Three lists already.  Hope to get a lot for this one.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
Mine sent.

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
Is Robocop more man or machine? (I searched but couldn't find an answer)

Should we specify Terminators (since there are a bunch of them) or does a simple" Terminator" vote cover them all?

Can we name robo-teams as a single entry (Metal Men) or do we have to specify each member?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:16:50 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 463
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:57 AM »
What about the "human" Cylons? Or would it be better to just vote for Cylons in general.

Which raises another question. If one person votes for a group, or class, of robots, and someone else votes for a specific individual from that group, how will those be tallied?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »
I see Robocop as more human but I'm willing to accept him, because I'm sure there are people who disagree with my assessment.  It's a "follow your heart" kind of deal.

Specifying Terminators:  If you just say "the Terminator", I'll assume you mean the T-800.  Since technically, different T-800 appear through the series, I'd just lump them all in together.

As for the Metal Men: I'd rather not take teams.  If it is a "type", (BTW, I was typing this before CJones asked his question) I'd take them as one (such as the T-800s or the Sentinels).  You can also include a type and a representitive from that type (a Cylon and... look I never watched the new Battlestar Galactica, but one of the characters who turns out to be a Cylon.  My preference for a team of robots like the Metal Men is individuals, but I'm willing to accept them as a group.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
I thought about the human Cylons and couldn't think of them as robots.  They were obviously mostly biological, so for me they were in the more human than machine category.

I thought the same for the Borg, but that one could go either way, once fully assimilated is a drone more machine than biological?

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
Is Robocop more man or machine? (I searched but couldn't find an answer)

Should we specify Terminators (since there are a bunch of them) or does a simple" Terminator" vote cover them all?

Can we name robo-teams as a single entry (Metal Men) or do we have to specify each member?

For my own list I'm tending to shy away from Cyborgs. I think in order for anything to qualify they should have a machine based brain. But that's just my opinion.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »
I'm mostly in your camp, except I will probably include at least one character who is robot EXCEPT for the brain (and no, it isn't Homer from that one Halloween Simpsons episode), and MAYBE a mech.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 71
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
I'd say being human, and remembering who he was before is pretty key to the story of Robocop. So even though he's fairly Robo, he's not a robot I think.

Looking forward to this, will put a list together soon.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 191
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »
I tried to stick mostly with 100% robots... but... on my list you might find an android here or there...
The problem wasn't so much compiling a list as it was putting them in order from least favorite to most favorite. I've always been a big fan of robots since I was a little kid. I never really felt scared or intimidated by Robots, whether they were real life bots or robots on the TV or silver screen. Well, to be fair I might have been a little intimidated by Hector from Saturn 3. Oh yeah... and of course one other whose name will remain a mystery until he's either been revealed on the LOC or when it comes time to reveal my own personal list.
"You're not the boss of Tigerbot Hesh!" is an often-used quote in this household. I have no idea how it comes up as often as it does.
Speaking of, does the phrase "Don't bite the main circuit Hesh!" get thrown around a lot?

Offline George-2.0

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »
Yeah I was leaning more man than machine with Robocop as well.

My list is in, with all my (such and such) geekery well represented.

A couple big names are missing (not a fan of... such and such a thing. But I'm sure y'all will take care of that).

I hope my top 5 -at the very least- make it. And though I can't imagine my #6 or #12 will... I luv 'em (who are they? Time will tell)

It'll be interesting to see how the top 50 unfolds.