Author Topic: Frank Conniff's Open Riff Night  (Read 228 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 28
    • My website full o' stuff.
Frank Conniff's Open Riff Night
« on: March 31, 2018, 03:46:37 PM »
I didn't know where to post this, so I'll just post this here. Mods, if it's inna-pro-pro here, feel free to move it to the a-pro-pro forum.

Anyway, I have some news. Do any of you know that event in NYC (to wit, Queens; to even more wit, Astoria; to wit even further, QED) where Frank Conniff is having an open riff night on April 11? I've signed up as a riffer and am going to test my riffing chops (even though I'm a total n00b)!

In case you haven't heard of the event, here's the link: https://qedastoria.com/collections/shows/products/frank-conniffs-cartoon-dump-34

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 14
Re: Frank Conniff's Open Riff Night
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
So do you get to know what clips you'll be riffing on or is it totally impromptu?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »
So do you get to know what clips you'll be riffing on or is it totally impromptu?

Nope. It's totally ad-libbed.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
I'm doing this tonight! I'll give a review/rundown after I finish my thing (or "jawn" as the Philadelphians say).

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »
Okay, so here's my review:

The event was set up into watching 5-minute movie clips (such as one half of a 10-minute educational short or a five-minute movie clip of a riffable B-movie), and three riffers per clip. There were about seven clips total, so 7 x 3 = 21 open-mic riffers altogether. Second-place gets a movie pun card game called "Schmovie", and first place gets to see Neil Gaiman interviewed by Lori Anderson at the 92nd Street Y. In addition, Second-place and First-place riffers also get to riff with Frank Conniff and Myka Fox who was also a judge.

As for how I did…

You know how you watch game shows and think "Anybody can do it!" and "How can that person miss that answer? I wouldn't have done that if I were they!" but when you actually participate in one in front of a small group of people, you get intimidated? That was my experience. I have never riffed before in front of an audience, and though I have riffed in private with friends, doing so in public with other amateur riffers was scary! I was afraid I would trip over my words (I have autism), or say something that wasn't funny, or say something offensive, or not say something funny at the right moment, etc. But as with everything else, it gets better with practice, and that was why I went in the first place: to take that first step into becoming a better riffer.

I had a great time and would happily do it again!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:38:43 PM by Iron Curtain »