Author Topic: Suggestions for a reliable and FREE VPN.  (Read 680 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 47
Suggestions for a reliable and FREE VPN.
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »
A couple of weeks ago my internet stopped working. Eventually checking with my internet provider Spectrum I found out that they had suspended service because they detected that I had downloaded a show owned by NBC. Let's call that show the Sad Family Flashback Show or Guess How Dad Died: The Series. Anyway, the first ten minutes was preempted for news updates on one of the snow storms, so I made the mistake of turning the channel and telling everyone not to worry, because the entire episode would be available tomorrow on iN Demand. But as any of you who have iN Demand know, they sometimes skip episodes. A week passed and iN Demand had every episode BUT the one we missed.

So I did the same thing I always did whenever I missed a television show and iN Demand skipped it. I went to a certain website with a buccaneer theme, found a torrent, downloaded it, then burned the episode onto a DVD. I mean, doesn't NBC want me to continue watching the series rather than abandoning it because I missed an episode? Well, it turns out no, NBC would rather I missed the episode completely, because somehow me watching a program they aired for free on a national network would loose them money if I watched it a week later via torrent.

Anyway, I had my internet shut off with no prior warning, and had to negotiate with a guy in India pretending to be an American Spectrum employee to get it back. And the person on the other end of the phone advised me to get a VPN to block my IP so that Spectrum could never detect me doing the same thing again.

So I paid for a subscription to one of the best VPN services. The need came to download another NBC show, this time a late night weekend sketch comedy show that inexplicably cut off the beginning of a song by the music guest, and I needed the West Coast feed to see the entire song. About thirty seconds after trying this, the VPN popped up a notice:

"We have detected you are downloading a pirated video. This is a violation of our terms and services. As of right now your subscription is terminated."

And with that the VPN ( who will remain nameless ) disconnect. And they were not even obligated to refund the money I had already sent them.

So now I am looking for a VPN that does not prevent downloading torrents, does not monitor the content of downloads, has a decent data limit and is free ( I'll put up with the ads. I am only going to turn the thing on when I am downloading torrents. )
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:39:58 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 119
    • Riff Cover Art
Re: Suggestions for a reliable and FREE VPN.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:19:36 AM »
Nothing is reliable or even trustworthy when it comes to free. I personally use IPVanish... but it is paid.

Online WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 83
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Yeah, dunno if you're gonna be able to find a decent VPN that does all those things you want at the free level.  I've got Spectrum as well, and have had no problems with using PureVPN (which, while not being free, is relatively cheap, esp. at the three-year pre-pay level).
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Online WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 83
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
Found this while looking about on the net:

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/the-best-free-vpn-services-of-2018

Their #1 choice, Tunnelbear, has a dinky data limit at the free level.  But their #2 choice, Windscribe, looks like it checks all your boxes.  Their #5, ProtonVPN, looks like it might be suitable to you as well, as it doesn't have a data cap at the free level at all.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
I use PIA. It's not free, but I've tried several and this one works best for me. It also gets around Chrome's attempts at bypassing VPNs which a couple didn't do very well.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »
I have already read just about every online article that lists their picks for top 10 VPNs. The one I paid a subscription to I got from one of those articles. It was their #1 pick and was free. However, the free version had a very limited data cap. So I subscribed to the premium edition of the VPN with unlimited data. And then I find out they monitor for pirated videos. Basically doing exactly what I was paying to prevent, having my computer scanned.

The reason for asking here is to avoid useless VPNs.  I am sure there are those here burned by VPNs and can warn me off the useless ones and suggest the ones that actually work. I am looking for a free one because I have already blown my budget for software. I could afford paying for another VPN, just didn't want to pay for one the first time, and don't want to pay for a second one only to have that subscription cancelled too because I unknowingly violated one of their terms. I plan to only witch the VPN on for downloading torrents, and I only download torrents occasionally. ( such as when I miss  a television show that is then missing from  iNDemand. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »
If you really only use torrents occasionally, wouldn't it be cheaper to put the money paid monthly to the VPN aside as a fund to buy the episodes?

Single episodes of shows are $3 for SD and $4 for HD on just about any site that does streaming (Amazon, iTunes, Vudu).

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1315
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
If you really only use torrents occasionally, wouldn't it be cheaper to put the money paid monthly to the VPN aside as a fund to buy the episodes?

Single episodes of shows are $3 for SD and $4 for HD on just about any site that does streaming (Amazon, iTunes, Vudu).

That’s a good point. That’s a lot of work and money to try and not support content creators.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
If I am uploading a television show from a torrent, that means it was not available on iNDemand, was not on the network site, and was not yet available on pay sites like Hulu.  Those torrents are up within ten minutes of the show ending, while I have to wait a few days for it to show up on iNDemand or any pay or free website. Also, I f I have resorted to risking a virus by downloading a torrent, that almost always means it is not available anywhere else, that includes Hulu. Paying for the VPN was a mistake. But I was taking into account that occasional there is a need to download entire movies just to get a single screen capture. That was the case when I hosted the Santa Claus LoC. Many of the film's on that LoC didn't have images available on the internet, so I need to get a copy of the film just to get the image of Santa from that film.  Perfectly legal to do under fair use, as it only appeared as part of a thread. But Spectrum may assume I am downloading the movie to watch or burn and keep.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2399
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
FYI:  Episodes are usually available for purchase on Amazon or iTunes around 4 AM eastern time the morning after the episode airs, not days later.  I buy the season passes on Amazon for the couple of shows I watch just to avoid commercials (and because I cut my cable package down to basically OTA channels).  There used to be occasional glitches where Amazon wouldn't get an episode on time, but it's been years since that has happened to anything I watch. 

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
Not sure there is a free VPN that is worth a damn. Have been a long time subscriber to the witopia VPN service. Great at getting around sports blackouts and for use with the occasional torrent when I can't find something through any other means.

I'm a big fan of Amazon season passes too, but man, just last week they cut their encoding bitrates down to a near unwatchable level on a lot of what they offer. Hope they reconsider and fix that crap soon.