login

Author Topic: Are Your MST3K DVDs New or Used ( or used when you thought they we new?)  (Read 541 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 43
Unless you can't afford new, or want to buy the volume releases in the original Rhino boxes, you probably insist on buying your MST3K / Cinematic Titanic / Rifftrax DVDs as factory sealed and new. Even if you could buy them for a third of the retail price in good as new condition, you would only do such a thing unless the DVD was long OOP. You don't want any scratches, any wear, or any possibility of cooties or other germs from the previous owner. And you know when buying new, your money goes indirectly back to the DVD label, which gives them a profit, which gives them incentive for releasing more DVDs in the future. If you buy used, all of the money goes back to the seller and the DVD label sees none of the money. Buying used DVDs is as good as buying bootlegs or downloading pirate copies for free in terms of any money going back to Shout! Factory or the copyright owners. 

With exception to back issue comic books, I have always bought new. Or so I thought. In the past few years I began to realize that many of the DVDs and other items I had been ordering new ( and paying for new ) from Amazon were used in shrink wrap to make them look new. I have even begun to noticed used items on the shelves of stores like Barnes & Noble and Best Buy being sold as new. ( Going back to the 90s, I remember buying a new game from Electronic Boutique, only to find saved games on it, so crap like this has been going on for a while. ) Usually this is unnoticeable as those selling used as new would do so with items in mint condition packaging. But in the past few years Amazon and others have lowered their standards when it comes to mint condition, shrink wrapping obviously scuffed up boxes.

Below are pictures of two MST3K sets I bought as a gift for someone last week from Amazon that were suppose to be new. One of them was obviously used. Amazon didn't even ask me to return it, just simply sent me a replacement. Which allowes me to put both side by side. One is new, the other used. Look at each picture and see if you can tell which one is which.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:53:40 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
Re: Are Your MST3K DVDs New or Used ( or used when you thought they we new?)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:39:11 PM »
Used, or simply damaged in storage?

The only used MST3K releases I own is the MST3K MOVIE on VHS that I got years ago at a thrift store, and most recently the Rhino single disc DVD of BEGINNING OF THE END at a different thrift store. They also had the movie on the old Universal DVD, but I already own the Shout! Factory DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack, and didn't want to waste money. It's surprising because I barely ever find MST3K releases in stores, new or used. As long as the discs and tapes work, I usually don't mind how I get them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:58:28 PM by Toyland Chairman »
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:26 AM »
The missing sticker is the biggest piece of evidence.

I've always bought direct from Shout. Guaranteed new/authentic, nearly always came with a bonus disc, and arrived a month before official release date to boot.
Shame all they have left is barebones rereleases of Rhino eps.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 731
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
I have bought the last 10 sets from Amazon and never had an issue. I always make sure I am buying from Amazon and not a third party seller too. The OP has brought this up before and seems to have the worst luck in the world!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »

I am well aware that merchandise is often damaged on the shelves over time by customers constantly picking it up and putting it back. However, when that happens it is the shrink wrap that gets worn off first before the box it is protecting is worn. The MST3K boxes are worn under the shrink wrap without the shrink wrap itself worn off. That should be impossible. Besides, Amazon merchandise is supposed to be stored in a warehouse, not on a store shelf. It is only touched three times, by the manufacturer to be shipped to Amazon, and twice by Amazon employees, once to go on the shelf, and once to be removed and sent to the customer. That is hardly enough opportunity to stuff up and wear down a box.

I have bought the last 10 sets from Amazon and never had an issue. I always make sure I am buying from Amazon and not a third party seller too. The OP has brought this up before and seems to have the worst luck in the world!

If you are pre ordering or buying the DVD the week of release then it is not likely you would receive a used one. The odds grow over time. Back when Rhino was releasing the series I would buy them from stores on their release day.  Then the financial crisis hit and for a couple of years I didn't have the money to buy them. When I did get around to buying them Rhino had just lost the distribution rights and priority was buying the Rhino sets I didn't have yet before they became too expensive. Because of this I was about a year and a half behind buying the Shout! Factory volumes and didn't catch up on those until last year. So about half of the ones I bought on Amazon we're a year or so after their release date. The one I bought in the picture was as a gift for a friend, and was also over a year after it's original release date. That's not bad luck. It is just that the odds of receiving a used one increase over time as more and more customers return their sets for credit on their new purchases.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »

I am well aware that merchandise is often damaged on the shelves over time by customers constantly picking it up and putting it back. However, when that happens it is the shrink wrap that gets worn off first before the box it is protecting is worn. The MST3K boxes are worn under the shrink wrap without the shrink wrap itself worn off. That should be impossible. Besides, Amazon merchandise is supposed to be stored in a warehouse, not on a store shelf. It is only touched three times, by the manufacturer to be shipped to Amazon, and twice by Amazon employees, once to go on the shelf, and once to be removed and sent to the customer. That is hardly enough opportunity to stuff up and wear down a box.

I could imagine the case being dropped or bruised in a warehouse somewhere.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
I could imagine the case being dropped or bruised in a warehouse somewhere.

There's a big difference between damage from bashing and damage from wearing a box out via constant handling. In order for the box show in the picture to get that worn ( and it looks a lot worse than the pictures show as some of the finer damage, such the edges dulled, doesn't show up on film ) it would have needed to have been rubbed and scraped many times. That wouldn't happen if it was only moved a few times. Also, the protective shrink wrap, specifically designed to prevent merchandise on shelves from wearing out, ( the same reason comic book collectors put their books in clear plastic bags to keep them in mint condition, even after they are stuffed in boxes with other comic books. ) would need to have the plastic wrap completely worn through or removed for that damage to have happened.

Had it been just bashing damage then there would be no way of telling if it happened at Amazon or by the company shipping the package.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
UPDATE
It's not just Amazon who are pulling this scam. Today I was in a Barnes and Noble, and look what I found on their shelf. Notice how one volume has the Shout Factory sticker on the shrink wrap, and another volume is missing the sticker.

and look at the condition of the volume without then sticker. Is there any doubt this volume was pre-owned?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:35:57 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2380
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Isn't it possible they just got damaged in transit or in the warehouse and the re-shrinkwrapped them?
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
Isn't it possible they just got damaged in transit or in the warehouse and the re-shrinkwrapped them?

You wouldn't be asking that if you saw the box for yourself. The box was well worn. The edges were dulled and rounded. It was just obviously used. Meanwhile the  boxes with the stickers still on were in mint condition. Only the boxes without stickers looked used ( excluding the reprints of the Rhino volumes which came in hard plastic boxes which would not wear down anywhere as easily as the cardboard boxes.

BTW, according to the law, once the shrink wrap is removed then the item is used and should not be sold as new. That was how they were able to sell imported laserdiscs back in the 90s.  Such as the Japanese laserdisc for Song of the South which Disney refused to release in the U.S.  Once the original shrink wrap was removed, then the store could sell them as used, and for some reason it was legal when it was illegal to sell factory sealed Disney Laserdiscs pressed for other regions.  I remember buying games at Electronic Boutique. They would keep only an empty box on the shelf, and only give you the game ( which they kept behind the counter ) after you paid for it. Only, in order to put an empty box on the shelf, they had to open one of the games and store the cartridge elsewhere. When they sold out of that game then they would attempt to sell you the removed game and the shelf box. But even though the game was never actually used, they still had to sell it as used, and you ended up with a five dollar discount ( that is, if you didn't mind owning the shelf box everyone had been handling. ) I doubt the laws changed since the 90s. Open boxes and removed shrink wrap is used no matter how the shrink wrap was lost.

But as I said, this box is worn out. The only way that could have happened is if the shrink wrap was completely removed and then sat on the shelf for many months and was handled hundreds of times before Barns & Noble got around to re-wrappig it.