login

Author Topic: Season 11 DVD/Blu-Ray coming April 17th  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: Season 11 DVD/Blu-Ray coming April 17th
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
I just hope they keep up the full-season thing. I got my set through Kickstarter, which is probably why the full box-set exists to begin with. There won't be one for Season 12, so Shout could get greedy next time.
Now that DVD sales are part of the profits from the show, I'm sure they are doing a much more thorough job of getting the different releasing rights for the movies beforehand. So there shouldn't be the searching and negotiating and everything else Shout had to do to get 4 episodes released at a time.
You are right that Shout can potentially split them up into more sets to make more profits. But the show is still available on Netflix. So DVD isn't even the only way to see them.

But the show is only available in the Anglophonic regions in the geopolitical global north. People who want to watch the show in, say, the Netherlands are out of luck. The DVDs and Blu-Rays of Season 12 will be the only way people outside of those rich Anglophonic territories will be able to legally access MST3K in Season 12 (and hopefully beyond).

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 180
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
I'm guessing any sales of sets in the Netherlands don't top 3 digits if that. Unless there is some kind of major cult following there  which would be surprising given that they apparently don't have access other than via DVD sales there.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:05 PM »
I'm guessing any sales of sets in the Netherlands don't top 3 digits if that. Unless there is some kind of major cult following there  which would be surprising given that they apparently don't have access other than via DVD sales there.

You'd be surprised. The Dutch are excellent English-speakers. Also, I wasn't just talking about the Netherlands; I was talking worldwide.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 180
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
I didn't get a chance to watch the "Final Countdown" live stream that took place on the last day of the kickstarter campaign and was hoping it would be included on the backer DVD/Bluray set despite knowing that it had numerous technical issues. Highlights were included, but...well, anyway, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIny9avjZc

EDIT: Now a little over an hour into watching this (just because I didn't have anything new I was dying to watch and working on some other things with this kind of on in the background tonight)...definitely a whole hell of a lot of technical difficulties and it's not by any means great, but as a lover of rarities and the obscure, I'm enjoying it. 

EDIT 2: 2 hours in...and it's very telethon like. Entertaining if you go in with low expectations like I did but audio quality ranges from just OK to pretty terrible.

EDIT 3: Fast forwarded through a few things...the songs by the Joel's co-hosts are the best thing. They're not really great hosts, but their songs are good and while I'm not a fan of Game of Thrones, their George RR Martin song is great.

EDIT 4: It was a Joel telethon, so it featured several magicians. Not a big fan of magicians, but the last one was the best mainly because his act was as much comedy as magic. The musician chick that had written a letter when she was a kid that was read on MST3K and then she was on a recent Turkey Day marathon singing the MST3K theme song (Thurkey Day 2014 or 2015 I think, but I could be wrong) sang a song with her band about mid way through the telethon that was MST3K themed that made me tear up a bit..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:05:02 PM by wihogfan »