Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS on its way out. WHAT GAMES SHOULD I BUY????  (Read 425 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 32
Nintendo 3DS on its way out. WHAT GAMES SHOULD I BUY????
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
A few years ago I treated myself to a Nintendo 3DS-XL. I bought a few games, but then for some reason stopped playing it for a couple or more years. The previous LoC had me thinking again about my gaming systems. When I buy a gaming system, I prefer owning a lot of games, enough to at least justify the cost of the system itself. It still bugs the crap out of me that I only able to buy seven games for the Game Cube ( Thanks a lot financial crisis! )

I was actually in Best Buy to see if they had a SNES Classic, just to see how much one would cost now that Christmas is over.  I found the 3DS section, and the pitiful small selection. ( Almost entirely Pokemon with a few cheap looking RPGs. ) Then I found one copy of Luigi's Mansion for $20, which usually goes for $45, so I grabbed the bargain.

So basically the 3DS is a dead system now that Nintendo wants everyone to buy the Switch. So I want to buy as many games as possible before they all go out of print, and sellers declare them collectors items and begin jacking up the price.

Here is what I own so far:
Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; Mirror of Fate
JAWS Ultimate Predator
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes
LEGO Batman 3 Beyond Gotham
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Spider-man: Edge of Time
The Amazing Spider-man
( Two Spider-man games and both have him trapped inside a building. Why? )
Wipeout

What should I get next, and are there any regular DS games worth getting?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2429
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Nintendo 3DS on its way out. WHAT GAMES SHOULD I BUY????
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
Wow. Where to start? The Phoenix Wright games are all fantastic. The Professor Layton series is great if you like puzzles. Bravely Default and Bravely Second are some of the best RPGs Square put out in a long time, the Fire Emblem series gives you a blend of RPG Melodrama and Strategy gaming that I adore. The Advance Wars series just gives you the strategy. The Etrian Odyssey series gives you old-school first-person RPG action with the gimmick that you use the touch screen to map out dungeons like you would with grid paper in days of old. Metroid Samus Returns is incredible. I'm probably forgetting others.

I kinda live on my 3DS.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 134
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
If you've got a connection to the 3DS Eshop channel, I highly recommend Pokemon Puzzle Challenge.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Well, here is something that sucks. So for the past couple of days I have been playing the Lego Batman 3. The game was finished long ago, so all I am doing now is finding all the hidden items using all the unlocked characters, and buying a few unlocked characters I do not own yet. The battery dropped down to where the warning light flashes, and I hooked the adapter up and....

Nothing.

Came back an hour later and the battery was still low. I also noticed the blue light indicating the device is receiving outside electricity is not lit. So basically, either the adapter broke, or the port for the adapter broke. The only thing for sure is the battery is not what is broken. I am going to take the gamble that the adapter broke and see about buying a new one ( they go for about $7, right? ) and if that is not what is wrong, then I have wasted money on a new adapter and need to spend a lot of money fixing the 3DS. ( Although, there are videos on Youtube that show you how to fix the thing yourself. That is, if you want to risk damaging the 3DS beyond repair. )

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:23:42 AM »
If I were you I'd call Nintendo, 1 800 255 3700 . It could be the battery and... for a price they'd send you a new one to install. I don't know what model you have, but they can probably provide you with the screwdriver you'd need to open it up. I know the last time I called they're no longer doing repairs on original first generation model 3DS systems anymore so that might be your best option.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:25:17 AM by Russoguru »

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
I always loved the Dragon Quest games. 4-9 were released for the 3DS. DQ 11 should be released this year.
Also for RPG lovers I highly recomend the Bravely Default games. Coup de Gravy!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 28
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
I always loved the Dragon Quest games. 4-9 were released for the 3DS. DQ 11 should be released this year.

I thought Dragon Quest 11 is going to be released for the Nintendo Switch, if I'm not mistaken…

EDIT: Read this.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:09:25 AM by Iron Curtain »

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
Where I work closed early due to the storm, so I dropped by the mall where the gaming shop was still open and asked if they could test the charger/adapter and as I thought, it is broken. They didn't sell replacements, so I am going to need to order one from Amazon. Perhaps I should order a few so I can still have a backup once Nintendo stops making them?

Looked into the Dragon Quest games and they are expensive. Some priced at nearly $200. The cheaper ones near $40. That was my problem all along with RPG. They were always expensive. The ones I got for the SNES we're on sale, which was not often. I don't remember getting any RPG games for the N64 other than Zelda.

The Final Fantasy games are less expensive, but I noticed the cheapest ones are not even RPG but something more like Rock Star where you hit the buttons to the music.

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
Dragon Quest 4&5 are reasonably priced on Amazon. There's also a slight sale on DQ8 and Bravely Second in the 3DS store right now.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2429
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
The Final Fantasy games are less expensive, but I noticed the cheapest ones are not even RPG but something more like Rock Star where you hit the buttons to the music.

Don't knock Theaterhythm 'til you've tried it. I get HOOKED on that thing every time I play. It helps that I looove Final Fantasy music.

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »

Don't knock Theaterhythm 'til you've tried it. I get HOOKED on that thing every time I play. It helps that I looove Final Fantasy music.

I just wish they released the Dragon Quest version in the West.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »
If you've got the "New" 3DS/2DS hardware I'd pick up some of the SNES titles offered on the Eshop channel like Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, Super Punch out, and Mega Man X. Those are some great games to have.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
So I ordered an adapter from Amazon. I picked one that claimed it fit in the 3DS. But it didn't. It was built for recharging the PlayStation remote controllers. Although the instruction booklet claimed it also worked on the DS/3DS if you jammed it in hard enough. I was not about to risk damaging an expensive electronic toy, so I sent it back for a refund. Then got another adapter from a different company, and it worked. Now that I know the 3DS is working I can get back to buying games.