Author Topic: What Christmas Movies do you watch?  (Read 350 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3102
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
What Christmas Movies do you watch?
« on: December 25, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »
My first time home for the holidays after 16 years and I'm starting my own tradition of watching some kinda-sorta Christmas movies including:
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Better Off Dead
and proly some MST3K/CT/RiffTrax Christmas riffs 8)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2429
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What Christmas Movies do you watch?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
I'm down with the old specials. Rudolph, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Twas the Night Before Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas. Also National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4066
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
It's a Wonderful Life.  That's kind of it, this year.  I guess a lot of people the Sound of Music a Christmas movie except there are no Christmas scenes.  It was my first time watching it.  Good movie, great songs, but I liked it more as a series of songs than as a story, I think.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
I need to add this to my list :o

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2236
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
I've been searching my house for half a hour for A Christmas Story ('83) but can't find it, I was sure I had it on DVD.  I know my mom had it since she loved that movie so much, and would watch it with my dad after she died, can't believe I didn't take it when I got stuff from his place but I wasn't thinking all that clearly during that week of hell.  I probably thought I already had it and had to make decisions about what would fit in my car so every square inch counted.

It's only $10 in HD streaming from Amazon so I bought it that way and will watch it while I make my crab cakes and lobster tails this evening.

I used to watch the Peanuts special and The Grinch special but haven't done that in many years.  So it's just that one movie.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 423
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
Is this where I come to be absolved for my holiday viewing atrocities?

I confess to having watched 'Tis the Season for Love, a Hallmark film starring this one woman that was on Saved by the Bell: The New Class as a teen and various Canadians the casting agency sent over to the shooting location. I forgot most of what happened but I am sure it dabbled in the standard worship of small town living and forgoing of one's ambitions (note: usually a female is the one responsible for aiming too high) to settle for ambitions other people had for you and that it was magical, fantastic and heart warming.

I confess to having watched Angels in the Snow. It's about Kristy Swanson and her awful family that all hate each other in a giant cabin in the mountains for the holidays learning a lesson about loving one another from a disturbingly considerate, loving family in need of assistance after having car trouble during a snow storm. Spoiler alert, the scary happy loving considerate visitors are actually dead!!!! This is easily one of my favorite first viewings of a Christmas atrocity this year.

I confess to having watched A Christmas Melody. It is directed by (!!!!!!!!) and stars Mariah Carey. Seriously. It also stars Lacey Chabert and some guy who growls his way through the film and through his botox injected face. The three stars are supposed to have all gone to high school together in spite of the fact that Lacey Chabert is thirteen years younger than Mariah Carey in reality and actually looks closer to twenty years younger than her and the guy looks and sounds like he's in his fifties. I'm not sure Mariah Carey spent more than thirty seconds on screen with any other actors. Most every moment she is on screen is a super tight one shot (this is one of those movies that almost never gives you any sense of spatial awareness)  in extreme soft focus with pink lights blaring around her to create a hazy pinkish halo around her. I am pretty sure this movie was shot on an ancient digital camera that made me feel slightly nauseated from the constant blurring and light distortion, but i bravely stuck with it all the way to the underwhelming end where Lacey Chabert learned the same lesson as the lady in 'Tis the Season for Love, that women should scale back their ambition and be content with small town life and a dearth of career opportunities.

I have many more, and given how very cathartic this was I will try to get back and provide brief thoughts on them as well. Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez in a Christmas romance? Again?!!!! Yeah, well, it's not as great as it sounds on the surface, but I still watched it. More later.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 423
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
I watched A Christmas Story twice this year. My younger son is at an age now that it appealed to him a lot more this year than in the past.

My favorite little moment now that I'm older is when Mrs Parker tries the bar soap for herself after sending Ralphie out of the bathroom. Melinda Dillon is brilliant.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
Mom wanted to watch another Christmas movie, so we watched The Shop Around the Corner. I forgot how dark it got at a certain point, having not seen it in years, but it is a pretty great movie still.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 76
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 12:03:44 AM »
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is kinda when it all REALLY kicks off. I watch that every year when I come home from Thanksgiving dinner. ^_^

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the REAL ONE, none of that 2000 crap)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman (That was a first in a long time for me)
The Snowman (That one, too. Probably haven't seen that since like 1990)
Blackadder's Christmas Carol
Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean (I like to pair that with the Blackadder special)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Home Alone
A Christmas Story
It's a Wonderful Life

I'll usually watch the Rifftrax Christmas Shortstravaganza, too. I always loved the shorts best and that was the first live show I went to so it holds a special place ^_^. The Christmas movies that MST3K and Rifftrax have done, not so much. Not because I don't like them, but because unlike the rest of this list, I'll watch those ANY time of year, so it doesn't so special to make a point to watch them at Christmas.

I've still got a couple movies I have to get through. Inclement weather caused me to stranded at my sister's house. I thought I was gonna go HOME the night of Christmas. NOPE, that just kinda got decided without any of MY input that I would be going home on the 27th instead. Really felt like an in control, grown adult then.

Never share rides, carpooling is a path to annoyance and disaster and not worth it. They're just gonna have to make a better atmosphere that can TAKE the punishment of some CO2.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:19:22 AM by NRRork »
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2342
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
I skipped a lot of them this year, and I'm not sure why. I usually watch Scrooged every year, and I couldn't find my copy. I also try and watch Charlie Brown Christmas and Garfield Christmas every year, and just didn't feel it this time. I still got around to A Christmas Story at least.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »
At Mom's behest, we watched Miracle on 34th Street.  I love the movie, but it was Boxing Day, Ma!  Move on!

Offline motoboy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
I have a bit of a crush on the woman from "Threee Magic Words" so we watch that DVD every Christmas and a couple other times a year.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
It's New Years Eve and I'm watching Space Balls..
Something off the norm I suppose :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2236
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »
I forgot about Hogfather (2007), I usually remember it between Thanksgiving and Christmas but not this year.

I don't know why it's not out in HD, it was shot with HD cameras, but it's only on DVD and in SD for streaming.