login

Author Topic: The Av Club's best movies of 2017  (Read 376 times)

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2379
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1273
Re: The Av Club's best movies of 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
!!!! Yeah!  So happy to see the Florida Project at the top of that list.  It really was an amazing film, and I'm dying to see it again. 

My top three of the year made that list: Florida Project, Get Out, and Three Billboards.  I haven't seen Ladybird yet, but I gather I'm probably going to like it.  The only movie on that list I disagree with that I saw would be Dunkirk.  Visually it was cool, but there were essentially no character arcs or anything to hold my interest.  And I won't disagree with the addition of Star Wars, but it would also be at the bottom of my list.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4483
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »
Get Out, Logan and Baby Driver were all pretty great.  Hoping to find some time to watch Dunkirk with the folks this Christmas.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 249
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »
Logan was just so depressing. I felt that the overall tone of the film was at odds with what the character should represent.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4483
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 04:25:49 AM »
I disagree.  Wolverine isn't a sunshine and hope hero like Spider-Man or Superman.  He's a man with a sordid past looking for redemption.  And oftentimes, redemption is a lifelong process with no finish line... well, except the obvious one.  I will say I'm not sure if I'd consider it one of the year's best (only because I don't watch all that many movies in theatres and a lot of the really good movies don't get released in my hometown), but I thought it was pretty damned strong.  I also feel that making it a sadder superhero story made much more sense here than anytime the DC movies try to be "dark but cool".

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2724
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
Logan is the first comic book move I've ever thought might be worthy of an Acadamy Award. Doesn't mean I like it better, but there was a lot more art to it than you usually get with your whiz-bang superheroes. Especially Wolverine.