Author Topic: List 'o Crap #108. Top 50 Animated Movies  (Read 1505 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 358
List 'o Crap #108. Top 50 Animated Movies
« on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

Alright, let's get this thing started. Mods, please sticky.
Any movie that is animated counts, be it traditional hand drawn animation, CG animation, or stop motion animation. However, the movie has to be fully animated. So no "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", even though that's one of my all time favorite movies. Movies with very little live action, such as used as a framing device, are acceptable.

Now let's talk about what constitutes a "movie". It has to have been show in a theater, somewhere, at least once. It doesn't have to have been an American theater. Also, it has to be at least 45 minutes long (I am open to discussion on this part)

PM me your list of the best 25 animated movies. Your #1 will be worth 25 points, #2 worth 24, and so on. You're perfectly welcome to send me a list with less that 25 entries. However your entries will be weighted to the bottom of the final list. I will compile all the points together to make a comprehensive Top 50.

I will accept lists until New Year's Day. That's two weeks from today.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2277
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: List 'o Crap #108. Top 50 Animated Movies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:59 PM »
What about movies that are entirely puppeteered or "Supermarionated?"

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »

You mean like Team America? Yes, I will accept movies like that.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Any movie that is animated counts, be it traditional hand drawn animation, CG animation, or stop motion animation. However, the movie has to be fully animated. So no "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", even though that's one of my all time favorite movies.

Now let's talk about what constitutes a "movie". It has to have been show in a theater, somewhere, at least once. It doesn't have to have been an American theater. Also, it has to be at least 45 minutes long (I am open to discussion on this part)

This is why I didn't even begin to start a list yet. Had I not waited for the rules then most of my list would have been Looney Tunes and Tex Avery shorts.

#The movie has to be fully animated
That does not just bar Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but Mary Poppins, Song of the South, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, and the original Pete's Dragon. How about if the film has a wrap around live host segments where actors introduce the film? Or has a cut away scene with live actors?

#It has to be shown in a theater, somewhere, at least once.
So all of those direct-to-video Marvel and D.C. movies are out. What about movies that were intended for theaters but got shelved and later released directly to video?

CG animation such as Pixar counts. But what about motion capture films? If most of the film was made using actors wearing motion capture suits on a green set which was used to generate the CG cartoon, is it still animation or visual effects? I can think of a couple of films I am considering that were made this way.

You mean like Team America? Yes, I will accept movies like that.

So films like Team America: World Police and Thunderbirds Are GO count. But what about muppet films?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:58:03 AM by stethacantus »

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:39:49 AM »
"It has to have been show in a theater, somewhere, at least once."

Somewhere... but how about at any time? Can it have been shown in theaters years later? There's a film I planned to include, but it was first released direct to DVD. Then like, 15 years later received theatrical showings at film festivals.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:41:26 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »

Somewhere... but how about at any time? Can it have been shown in theaters years later? There's a film I planned to include, but it was first released direct to DVD. Then like, 15 years later received theatrical showings at film festivals.

Yes, that is acceptable.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
Dammit, I'm afraid some of the movies on my list don't qualify. I might have to sit this LOC out completely because of that.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2277
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
Not a fan of Disney/Pixar? It's going to be hard for me to not make my list nothing but them.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
Dammit, I'm afraid some of the movies on my list don't qualify. I might have to sit this LOC out completely because of that.

I have a few movies on my list that are questionable, but instead of mentioning them here I will directly PM CJones and ask if they are permitted before sending in a complete list.
Not a fan of Disney/Pixar? It's going to be hard for me to not make my list nothing but them.

I have only seen three Pixar films from start to finish, one which I watched on ABC only because I was too lazy to change the channel when it started. I have been meaning to see all of them eventually. So my list will be thinking on Pixar. Not that it needs any help, as I suspected it will take over the top 10.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3902
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »

Yes, that is acceptable.

Congratulations, "Bravestarr: The Movie".

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »

Yes, that is acceptable.

Congratulations, "Bravestarr: The Movie".

YAY For Bravestarr... uh, no wait... mine is a much cooler flick.  ;) It was a critical flop that is now considered a classic. Funny how time can do that.

Edit: after going through release dates, looks like I have my 25. There are a lot of the biggies left off... but I figure y'all will take care of them. Maybe some of mine are obscure and thus, could be considered wasted picks, but I love them, so the're not a wasted pick for me.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:18:36 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2147
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
My Letterboxd says I have watched 303 animated films.

I'm sure a lot of those don't qualify, but I should have a problem making this list at all.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »
All 25 of my entries are 8 Crazy Nights.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Please tell me you're joking.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Please tell me you're joking.

You'll never know! You'll spend the whole list wondering, WILL 8 CRAZY NIGHTS BE NUMBER ONE?!
FINE