Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Super Metroid
System: Super Nintendo

106 Points
5 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #1 Russoguru

Year of Release:1994

Details

Super Metroid is a side-scrolling action-adventure video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. The third installment in the Metroid series, it was released in Japan in March 1994, with other territories later. The story takes place after the events of the Game Boy game Metroid II: Return of Samus (1991); it follows the protagonist and playable character Samus Aran, who travels to planet Zebes in an attempt to retrieve an infant Metroid stolen by the Space Pirate leader Ridley.

Samus can run, jump, crouch, and fire a weapon in eight directions; she can also perform other actions, such as wall jumping—jumping from one wall to another in rapid succession to reach higher areas. The "Moon Walk" ability, named after the popular dance move of the same name, allows Samus to walk backwards while firing or charging her weapon.

Throughout the course of the game, the player can acquire power-ups that enhance Samus's armor and weaponry, as well as grant her special abilities, allowing them to gain access to areas that were previously inaccessible. The Morph Ball allows Samus to curl into a ball, roll into tight places and plant bombs; the Spring Ball adds an ability to jump while in Morph Ball form. The Speed Booster can be used to run at high speeds, and can crash onto barriers and enemies. The Space Jump allows Samus to jump infinite times to cover great distances, and the Hi-Jump Boots allow for a higher jump. The Grapple Beam can be used to swing across open areas. The X-ray Scope is used to see items and passages through hidden walls and other surfaces.

The heads-up display shows Samus's health, the supply mode for Reserve Tanks, icons that represent weapons, and a map display showing her location and its surroundings. The inventory screen allows the player to enable and disable weapons and abilities. While the beam weapon can be combined, the Spazer and Plasma beams cannot be used simultaneously. The backup units called Reserve Tanks can be used automatically when Samus's health is depleted. The game also features an automap to help players navigate the different areas of the game. Additionally, the player can use the map computer found in each part of the planet to reveal unexplored areas.  To save their progress, the player must find and use one of the save stations scattered around the planet.  The game can also be saved at Samus's gunship, which fully recharges her health and ammunition as well. Super Metroid has three endings based on the time taken to complete the game, which determine whether Samus poses with or without her suit. The best ending is achieved when the game is completed under three hours.[

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/yB317FOcU0Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/yB317FOcU0Y</a>

Personal Thoughts

I never got into the Metroid games.  I think the only one I ever played through was Metroid Fusion on Game Boy Advance (though I played it on my Game Cube).  I find the non-linear fashion too puzzling.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:57:08 PM by Retro Muppet Pastor »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • "They belong here more than we"
Awwww Super Metroid wasn't number 1?! Aw come on, that game is totally the sidescrolling game to end all 2D sidescrolling games. Not only that, but the last time I played through it, I got through it in 2 hours, 3 minutes. Love it.

• Big Montana
Awwww Super Metroid wasn't number 1?! Aw come on, that game is totally the sidescrolling game to end all 2D sidescrolling games. Not only that, but the last time I played through it, I got through it in 2 hours, 3 minutes. Love it.

It had some pretty stiff competition.  The actual #1 was a bit of a surprise to me actually.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3933
  • Now you're playing with power!
The only Metroid game I've played is for the NES and even that one I played on the Wii.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
The only Metroid game I've played is for the NES and even that one I played on the Wii.
You're really missing out by not playing Super Metroid. It really is an amazing game. It holds up even to this day.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 392

Super Metroid is way WAY better. There's a reason they play this at every GDQ event.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
Super Metroid is way WAY better. There's a reason they play this at every GDQ event.
And while I'm well aware there are speed runs that take less than half an hour, my best time on Super Metroid is something like 2 hours and 3 miinutes.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2332
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
By the way, I kept forgetting to reply to it, but someone earlier in this thread was wondering weather the SNES Mini's controllers work on the old system. They don't Totally different plug type. They DO work with a Wii Remote, so it's an awesome way to play a virtual console game.

• Big Montana
Donkey Kong Country
System:Super Nintendo

153 Points
9 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #3 Russoguru

Year of Release: 1994

Details

Donkey Kong Country is a 1994 platforming video game developed by Rare and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the first game in the Donkey Kong Country series. It was re-released for the Game Boy Color (2000), Game Boy Advance (2003), Wii Virtual Console (2007), Wii U Virtual Console (2014), and New Nintendo 3DS (2016) with a perfect pixel mode. Nintendo re-released Donkey Kong Country in the United States in September 2017 as part of the company's Super NES Classic Edition.[2] It was followed by two sequels, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest in 1995 and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! in 1996.

The game centres around Donkey Kong and his nephew Diddy Kong, who must recover their stolen hoard of bananas from King K. Rool and the Kremlings. Development of the game first began shortly after Rare's Tim and Chris Stamper ran experiments with a Silicon Graphics workstation, rendering realistic 3D sprites. Nintendo became interested in Rare's work and soon acquired 49% of the company which culminated in the production of a new title using Alias and SGI technology for the SNES console. The Stamper brothers expressed an interest to create a standalone Donkey Kong game, and assembled a team of 12 to work on the game over an 18-month development cycle.

Donkey Kong Country is the first Donkey Kong game that was not produced or directed by Shigeru Miyamoto, the character's original creator. It was directed by Tim Stamper instead, although Miyamoto was still involved with the project. Following an intense marketing campaign, Donkey Kong Country received critical acclaim and more than nine million copies were sold worldwide, making it the third-best-selling SNES game.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/K6xhiOtC_dM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/K6xhiOtC_dM</a>

Personal Thoughts

I owned this game and played it through.  It was a fun game, and I really should have gone for the other two in the series.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:56:47 PM by Retro Muppet Pastor »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3933
  • Now you're playing with power!
DKC was a pretty good game.  Sure, it was a big step forward in graphics, but the real fun was that what a lot of the Nintendo platformers do well, which is creating subtle euphoria whenever you get something or bash the baddies.

• Big Montana
No point in staggering this too much longer....

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
System: Super Nintendo

166 Points
8 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: TIE #2 Russoguru, Johnny Unusual, and Linszoid

Year of Release:1992

Details

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. It is the third installment in The Legend of Zelda series and was released in 1991 in Japan and 1992 in North America and Europe.
The plot of A Link to the Past focuses on Link as he travels on a journey to save Hyrule, defeat Ganon and rescue maidens related to the Sages. A Link to the Past uses a 3/4 top-down perspective similar to that of the original The Legend of Zelda, dropping the side scrolling elements of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past introduced elements to the series that are still commonplace today, such as the concept of an alternate or parallel world, the Master Sword, pieces of heart, and other new weapons and items. Critics and players alike have commented on the similarities between A Link to the Past and the Nintendo 64 sequel Ocarina of Time, with some even referring to the latter as a "spiritual remake" of A Link to the Past.

Released to critical and commercial success, A Link to the Past was a landmark title for Nintendo and is widely considered today to be one of the greatest video games of all time. Over four million units of the game have been sold worldwide. A Link to the Past was ported to the Game Boy Advance with slight changes (see The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords), and is available for the Wii, Wii U, and New Nintendo 3DS via the Virtual Console. Nintendo re-released A Link to the Past in the United States in September 2017 as part of the company's Super NES Classic Edition.

Players assume the role of hero Link, a young boy living with his uncle south of Hyrule Castle. Princess Zelda, a descendant of the seven sages, is held captive in the castle dungeon by Agahnim, a treacherous wizard who has set forth a chain of events to unleash Ganon. Sahasrahla, a descendant of those who forged the Master Sword, mentors Link on his quest. Series antagonist Ganon remains sealed in the Dark World. It is revealed late in the game that Agahnim is an avatar of Ganon, used by the King of Evil to infiltrate the Light World.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Z6hjG6MCcZ8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Z6hjG6MCcZ8</a>

Personal Thoughts

I owned this and played it a ton.  Fantastic game.  The most memorable thing to me is a puzzle in the 5th Dark World dungeon.  You have to push a block on to a switch to open a door, but there are no blocks in that room.  So you have to push it in from above.  But there's this confusing system of toggling red and blue blocks that you need to get around.  For the longest time I couldn't figure it out, so I would skip ahead to the 6th dungeon, get the staff that lets you create blocks, and just use that.

I played many times, on original SNES, on emulator, and most recently on a Game Boy Advance port.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • We are the road crew!
Link's purple/pink hair on his sprite in that is one of the classic choices, it kind of works. OoT is my fav though. Also Landstalker is great. I liked Four Swords with 4 people also, twas fun.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 24
I know what #1 is.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2332
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yeah, it's pretty predictable from here, and it's a worthy title, but I thought for sure Link to the Past would top it. This is the pinnacle of Zelda for me. They've come close, but never topped it since.

• Big Montana
I know what #1 is.

Yeah, it's pretty predictable from here, and it's a worthy title, but I thought for sure Link to the Past would top it. This is the pinnacle of Zelda for me. They've come close, but never topped it since.

Well if it's that obvious, I might as well stop delaying and post it.