Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 8862 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 71
  • We are the road crew!
Best racing series out there!

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 146
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Final Fantasy 3
System: Super Nintendo

85 Points
4 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: TIE #3 Johnny Unusual and Linszoid

Year of Release:1994

Details

Final Fantasy 3 (also known as Final Fantasy 6 in Japan) is a role-playing video game developed and published by Square for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Released in 1994, it is the sixth title in the mainline Final Fantasy series (and the last to use sprite based 2-D graphics). Set in a fantasy world with a technology level equivalent to that of the Second Industrial Revolution, the game's story focuses on a group of rebels as they seek to overthrow an imperial dictatorship. The game features fourteen permanent playable characters, the most of any game in the main series.

Final Fantasy 3 takes place on a large, unnamed world. During the course of the game, its geography and landscape change due to various developments in the game's plot. During the first half of the game, the world is divided into three major continents and referred to as the World of Balance. The northern continent is punctuated by a series of mountain ranges and contains many of the locations accessible to the player. Most of the southern continent has been taken over by the Empire, while the eastern continent is home to a large patch of land called the Veldt where monsters from all over the world can be found. Halfway through the game, the world's geographical layout is altered, resulting in its three large continents splitting into several islands of various size situated around a larger continent at their center. This altered layout of the game's locations is referred to as the World of Ruin.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/d15qmRzn2Pc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/d15qmRzn2Pc</a>

Personal Thoughts

I remember the commercials, but never played the game.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 146
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Ok that's all for tonight.  The Final Four tomorrow!
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • We are the road crew!
I enjoyed that game.

Quality countdownery!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4400
  • Mr. Robot
Final Fantasy VI is the RPG I've played the most.  I've played through it, like, three times... and never beat it.  Not because it is hard (though it is in parts) but for whatever reason, I had to stop by the time I got to the last boss.  I'll beat it some day, which will also give me the pleasure of playing it again.

I love Ultros.  He is the best Final Fantasy villain.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2591
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Final Fantasy VI is the RPG I've played the most.  I've played through it, like, three times... and never beat it.  Not because it is hard (though it is in parts) but for whatever reason, I had to stop by the time I got to the last boss.  I'll beat it some day, which will also give me the pleasure of playing it again.

I have a jillion games just like that. Don't know what it is with me. I'll dauntlessly play the game for weeks to get to the end and then, right before the final showdown, I'll drift away from the game. Maybe it's about the journey for me, or maybe I want to chase the Road Runner, but not really catch him. I dunno.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 339
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
It seems insane to me that anybody voting on this list would have never played DKC2 or Yoshi's Island, but then I've never played Chrono Trigger or the Final Fantasy games, which would disqualify my opinion in a lot of people's minds. When I was a kid, I didn't even know those games existed, although I don't have a lot of excuse for not playing them in the time since.

Just goes to show how varied people's experiences with that era of games were... or something.

I have a jillion games just like that. Don't know what it is with me. I'll dauntlessly play the game for weeks to get to the end and then, right before the final showdown, I'll drift away from the game. Maybe it's about the journey for me, or maybe I want to chase the Road Runner, but not really catch him. I dunno.

I did this with Earthbound, like, four times before I actually played all the way through. I'd get approximately to Fourside and just stop. When I'd try to pick it up again, I'd have forgotten what I was doing.

I've done the same thing three times now with Mother 3.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:32:49 PM by Quirk »
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • We are the road crew!

I love Ultros.  He is the best Final Fantasy villain.

I also have yet to beat FF6, or Chrono Trigger! Even though I dig both. It's a mystery what makes me drawn to finish an oldschool RPG or not, maybe the mood I was in, what I felt like doing that year for entertainment, etc. I've beaten a couple Dragon Quests (4 and 8 ), a few later Final Fantasys (7, X, XV), Tales of Symphonia, and that's it for my JRPG beating so far. Have played many though.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 39
I didn't have Super Mario Kart on my list. It was either that or F-Zero and F-Zero was a better racing game. Also, driving off the edge next to the finish line and the guy in the cloud laps you made Super Mario Kart too easy. But being able to attack the other cars was fun. Racing games got really good in the N64 era. If we do a N64 LoC, a lot of my top games would be racing games.

I own every Final Fantasy game released on Gameboy, and beat them all. From what I remembered, all the Final Fantasy games for the SNES began around $69 and never really dropped in price. The lone exception was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which was sort of a RPG training game, and became the only Final Fantasy game I bought for the SNES.

I know what two of the final four games will be, as the top 9 on everyone's list made the LoC, and #7 and #8 have not been on the countdown yet. I am pretty sure my #15 will also be in the top 4.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 464
  • 5000 deaths and counting
The lone exception was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which was sort of a RPG training game, and became the only Final Fantasy game I bought for the SNES.

The less said about Mystic Quest, the better. Yeah, I know, it was JRPGs for Dummies. They did realize this was the country that started Ultima, Wizardry and Bard's Tale, right?

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
I'm very surprised FF3 only made 4 lists

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2313
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
I have played very few JRPGs (or RPGs in general).
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 192
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
I'm very surprised FF3 only made 4 lists
Me too because it has had some serious staying power especially to this day.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 464
  • 5000 deaths and counting

Once it's obvious what's going to happen, I tend to loose interest. I did this with FF 10 and FF 12. Got to the end, but then couldn't work up enough interest to actually finish the game.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • We are the road crew!
Sonic 2 was also only on 4 lists, Sonic 1 on just 5 lists, eclectic is what we do on the LoC. :D