login

Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Chrono Trigger is definitely among the SNES finest RPGs.  It has all sorts of interesting mechanics and the time travel aspect allows for some great settings.  I don't think Toriyama ever worked with Square since, which is a shame, since they seem to go well together.

I think he worked with them on Dragon Quest 8 and 9, after the merger with Enix.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 389
Sweet story Stethacantus :D Amazing that he still had all the original packaging. Shame about your controller though.

Contra 3 is my favorite Contra, largely because it forces you to play on the hardest difficulty.

Online linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 9
Contra 3 is my favorite Contra, largely because it forces you to play on the hardest difficulty.

You had to beat the game in order to unlock the hardest difficulty.

• Big Montana
So I never played the SNES version, only the DS remake.  I heard that in that big floating dungeon that comes out of the sea in 12000 BC, that you can collect all the treasure chests 3 times by running through it 3 times if you go in the correct order.... e.g 1000 AD, 600 AD, then 12000 BC.  Because if you open a chest in 1000 AD, it is still there in 600 AD (it won't be opened for another 400 years).  But it wouldn't work the other way because if you open in 600 AD, it will have been opened for 400 years in 1000 AD.

Is this at all true?  You couldn't do this in the DS version.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 302
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
I might be in the minority, but Yoshi's Island is WAY better than Super Mario World.

I've never played this.  I thought it looked kinda stupid.  Even when I bought the Super Mario Advance series years later I didn't bother getting this one.

I'm way too drunk right now to offer meaningful criticism, so let me just say this: Are you out of your mind!?

Agreed. Yoshi's Island is the best 2D Mario game. And you "thought it looked kinda stupid"?! Can we form a coup and oust this guy as listrunner? (I'm kidding. You're doing a great job.)
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

• Big Montana
I might be in the minority, but Yoshi's Island is WAY better than Super Mario World.

I've never played this.  I thought it looked kinda stupid.  Even when I bought the Super Mario Advance series years later I didn't bother getting this one.

I'm way too drunk right now to offer meaningful criticism, so let me just say this: Are you out of your mind!?

It's Baby Mario, which is just dumb.  I hate baby versions of things.  And Yoshi is a supporting character, not a star.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3930
  • Now you're playing with power!
Chrono Trigger is definitely among the SNES finest RPGs.  It has all sorts of interesting mechanics and the time travel aspect allows for some great settings.  I don't think Toriyama ever worked with Square since, which is a shame, since they seem to go well together.

I think he worked with them on Dragon Quest 8 and 9, after the merger with Enix.

Didn't even realize Enix got Dragonquest.

Online linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 9

Didn't even realize Enix got Dragonquest.

Enix is the original publisher of Dragonquest

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
Oh, really?  Now I'm just lost.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2331
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yup. Square and Enix used to separately be RPG kings. Dragon Quest was a juggernaut in Japan, and Final Fantasy started making it big on both shores. Then a whole bunch of mergers happened and things got confusing.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "They belong here more than we"
I never could get through Chrono Trigger. But for me, the best part of that game was definitely the music.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 389
Squaresoft lost a shit ton of money thanks to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and was facing bankruptcy.

Enix only had one in house project worth mentioning, but that project was Dragon Quest, which was the most successful JRPG series at the time.

Enix agreed to buy out Squaresoft, effectively combining Enix's money with Squaresoft's talent, forming Square Enix.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
Cool.  I guess I'm so used to callin' em Square Enix, it feels like it's always been that way to me.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 24

Sweet story Stethacantus :D Amazing that he still had all the original packaging. Shame about your controller though.

Not an amazing story, a Christmas Miracle! I never get missing stuff back. No one does. Especially something you just discovered was missing for 20 years. And still with it's original packaging? I've had family members borrow games for a couple of days and return them without the box.

The controllers may not be a lost cause. I am contemplating getting a SNES classic, then seeing if their controllers can work on the SNES. And there is always the possibility I could fix the original controllers. The only reason I never tried was at the time  I had a brand new N64 to play with, and the not wanting to do something wrong that causes the entire consel to explode thing.

Every game I play I start on the most difficult level. Last thing I want is to reach the stop stage for the easy level and have to repeat the early levels again.

• Big Montana
Super Mario Kart
System: Super Nintendo

84 Points
6 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #3 Edward J Grug III

Year of Release:1992

Details

Super Mario Kart is a 1992 kart racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. The first game of the Mario Kart series, it was released in Japan and North America in 1992, and in Europe the following year. Selling nine million copies worldwide, the game went on to become the third best selling SNES game of all time. Super Mario Kart was re-released on the Wii's Virtual Console in 2009, and on the Wii U's Virtual Console in 2013.

In Super Mario Kart, the player takes control of one of eight Mario series characters, each with differing capabilities. In single player mode players can race against computer-controlled characters in multi-race cups over three difficulty levels. During the races, offensive and speed boosting power-ups can be used to gain an advantage. Alternatively players can race against the clock in a Time Trial mode. In multi-player mode two players can simultaneously take part in the cups or can race against each other one-on-one in Match Race mode. In a third multiplayer mode – Battle Mode – the aim is to defeat the other players by attacking them with power-ups, destroying balloons which surround each kart.

Super Mario Kart received positive reviews and was praised for its presentation, innovation and use of Mode 7 graphics.It has been ranked among the best games of all time by several organizations including Edge, IGN, The Age and GameSpot, while Guinness World Records has named it as the top console game ever. It is often credited with creating the kart-racing subgenre of video games, leading other developers to try to duplicate its success. The game is also seen as having been key to expanding the Mario series into non-platforming games. This diversity has led to it becoming the best-selling game franchise of all time.Several sequels to Super Mario Kart have been released, for consoles, handhelds and in arcades, each enjoying critical and commercial success. While some elements have developed throughout the series, the core experience from Super Mario Kart has remained intact.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/PmkEpvatJpE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/PmkEpvatJpE</a>
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/bun8tA_ksZw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/bun8tA_ksZw</a>

Personal Thoughts

I played this occassionally, but I can't remember if I ever actually owned it.  It might have been a rental / borrow.  I was more of an F-Zero fan.  I did have the Mario Kart games for N64, GameCube, and Wii.  I fondly remember it being used derisively in Genesis commercials as evidence of why the Genesis is superior.  The commercials used Super Mario Kart to show what happens when a game system doesn't have “blast processing”.