Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 114
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
What I like about the Donkey Kong Country series is that they didn't try to reinvent it midway through.  All three games look to be about the same.  Simple 2D platforming.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4162
  • Mr. Robot
Never played that one.  I don't think?  I remember the first one strongly and kind of remember the second.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 157
  • "They belong here more than we"
The original Donkey Kong Country was the BEST of all three. But DAMN was it hard. To this day I still haven't beaten King K. Rool.

• Big Montana
NBA Jam
System: Super Nintendo, Genesis

34 Points
3 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #3 Cole Stratton

Year of Release:1993

Details

NBA Jam (sometimes "Jam" for short) is a long-running basketball video game series based on the National Basketball Association (NBA). Initially developed as arcade games by Midway, the game found popularity with its photorealistic digitized graphics, over-the-top presentation and exaggerated style of two-on-two basketball play. The successor to Midway's Arch Rivals, the original 1993 NBA Jam allowed players to jump many times above their own height, make slam dunks that defy human capabilities, and freely shove or elbow opponents out of the way. It also featured a variety of secret characters, as well as the ability to track player records and statistics between play sessions.
After the release of NBA Jam Tournament Edition, Acclaim, the publishers of the home versions of the Jam games acquired exclusive rights to release games under the NBA Jam name. Acclaim released one arcade game, NBA Jam Extreme, featuring the trademark over-the-top style of the previous games. Meanwhile, Midway continued its own series of NBA games with NBA Hangtime. After NBA Jam Extreme, Acclaim started publishing titles exclusive to home consoles with a more realistic style. Acclaim then attempted to return the series to its arcade roots with one more console game, 2003's NBA Jam, before the company closed its doors in 2004.
6 years later, Electronic Arts acquired the rights to the name and in 2010 they released NBA Jam for the Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game was an attempt to replicate the original Midway games on newer consoles and original lead designer/programmer Mark Turmell was consulted on its development.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/U3lSW6RP4x8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/U3lSW6RP4x8</a>

Personal Thoughts

I played this for either SNES or Genesis, I forget which version.  It's one of the few sports games I ever enjoyed.  I can't say why it became such a rare exception.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
Uh oh.  I just realized I made a scoring mistake.  #29 should be ranked higher because I forgot to count someone's list.  Which... uh.... might push everything else back a rank.  Might not get any more posted until tomorrow when I figure this out.

Edit: Nevermind.  Looks like the scoring mistake just shoots the previous #29 up to #14.  Everything from #15 through #28 moves down a rank, and everything #30 and below is unaffected.  Just need to edit the writeups to reflect the new order.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:30:18 PM by Retro Muppet Pastor »

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 330
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
I initially hated DKC3. The characters are ugly and the bosses are lame. But when I gave it a fair chance, I was surprised to find that the level design is rock solid. Every level takes a new gameplay concept and explores it completely. This is an approach taken by later Mario games and the Retro Donkey Kong Country games.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

• Big Montana
Gunstar Heroes
System: Genesis

35 Points
3 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #5 CJones

Year of Release:1993

Details

Gunstar Heroes is a run-and-gun shooter video game, and the first game developed by Treasure and published by Sega. Treasure's debut game was originally released on the Sega Genesis in late 1993, and later on, ported to the Game Gear by M2. In February 2006, Gunstar Heroes was released as part of the Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box Collection for the PlayStation 2. It is also available on the Wii's Virtual Console. In 2009, it was released on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. In 2015, a 3D Classics version was released on the Nintendo 3DS eShop.
The game's premise was altered slightly for its western release, but is generally centered around the exploits of the Gunstars, a mercenary family out to stop the Empire, a dictatorship that seeks to revive an ancient weapon by using the power of four gems hidden throughout the planet. It has been listed among the best video games of all time by various publications.
The game's backstory concerns an evil organization that created an extremely powerful robot, Golden Silver, for use as a weapon to destroy civilization from the moon. Through the efforts of the Gunstar family: twin brothers Red and Blue; sister Yellow; and older brother Green, Golden Silver is defeated and the four gems that served as its power source were taken and hidden throughout the Earth. The Gunstars, exhausted, seal themselves in stasis pods on the moon while civilization rebuilds itself. As time passes, Golden Silver begins to be seen as a God that will lead righteous people to paradise. General Gray, leader of a dictatorship knows as the 'Empire', sends an expedition to the moon in order to excavate the four gems and awaken Golden Silver, so that he can use the android's power to rule over the planet. There, the leader of the expedition, Professor Brown, finds the Gunstars in stasis. The Gunstars learn of the Empire's plan, and learn that Green is helping the Empire to resurrect Golden Silver. The Gunstars convince Professor Brown to betray the Empire and help them stop the revival of Golden Silver.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/9v3B1hzMwnQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/9v3B1hzMwnQ</a>

Personal Thoughts

Never played it.  Never heard of it until recently.

Offline Russoguru

Yeah Gunstar heroes was probably one of the best titles on the Genesis. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that it's THE best title on the Genesis.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 58
  • We are the road crew!
Gunstar Heroes rocks for sure, have had a lotta fun with that one co-op. And DKC is good stuff, cool music too.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2457
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Ahh, Gunstar Heroes. My jam was the laser plus the flamethrower. It made a kind of laser sword that was all kinds of fun.

Offline Russoguru

I'd pair the homing weapon with the blue laser and it would create a homing laser. Damn it was a kick ass weapon but it could also lock onto things you didn't want it to lock onto.

• Big Montana
Actraiser
System: Super Nintendo

35 Points
3 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 Pak-Man

Year of Release:1990

Details

Actraiser is a 1990 platform and city-building simulation game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System developed by Quintet and published by Enix, combining traditional side-scrolling platforming with urban planning god game sections. A sequel, ActRaiser 2, was released for the Super NES in 1993. In 2007, ActRaiser became available on the Wii's Virtual Console download service in Europe, North America, and Japan. A version of the game was also released for European mobile phones in 2004.

The plot follows a god-like being known only as "The Master" (God in the Japanese version) in his fight against Tanzra (Satan in the Japanese version), also referred to as "The Evil One." According to the instruction booklet, The Master was defeated in a battle with Tanzra and his six lieutenants. The Master retreated to his sky palace to tend to his wounds and fell into a deep sleep. In the Master's absence, Tanzra divided the world into six lands, one for each of his lieutenants; they later turned the people to evil.
After several hundred years, the Master awakens fully recovered to discover that he has lost his powers due to the lack of belief in him. As the game progresses, the Master defeats Tanzra's lieutenants and recovers his powers by rebuilding the civilizations of his people and communicating with them through prayer. After all lieutenants have been slain, the Master commences an assault on Tanzra's stronghold, Death Heim, eventually defeating him.
After the defeat of Tanzra, The Master and his servant revisit the many civilizations that they had helped to build and observe the people. During their observations, they note that nobody is at the temple worshiping the Master. The servant observes that, although the people once prayed to the Master in times of trouble, they no longer feel a need to because they are not in danger. The Master and his servant then enter the sky palace and depart into the heavens to await a time when they may be needed.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/_5KQR_piPiw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/_5KQR_piPiw</a>

Personal Thoughts

The name sounds familiar, but I've never played this before. From the description it sounds confusing.  Is it a platformer or is it Simcity?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2457
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Actraiser

The name sounds familiar, but I've never played this before. From the description it sounds confusing.  Is it a platformer or is it Simcity?

It is both! You start by building up a civilization, but at some point in its development, it needs some divine intervention to destroy some evil being. Then you descend from the heavens and kick it platform style. It's peanut butter and chocolate. Soundtrack rocks, too.

Offline Russoguru

and the best part... you get to play as GOD.

• Big Montana
Final Fight
System: Super Nintendo

35 Points
4 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #7 PsychoGoatee

Year of Release:1989

Details

Finl Fight is a side-scrolling beat-'em-up video game produced by Capcom. Originally released as an arcade game in 1989, it was the seventh title released for the CP System hardware. Set in the fictional Metro City, the player controls one of three characters: former pro wrestler and mayor Mike Haggar, his daughter's boyfriend Cody, and Cody's best friend Guy, as they set out to defeat the Mad Gear gang and rescue Haggar's young daughter Jessica.
The game began development as a sequel to the original Street Fighter released in 1987, but the genre was switched from a fighting game to a beat 'em up and the title was changed following the success of Double Dragon. Final Fight was ported to various home consoles such as the Super NES and was followed by a few sequels. Its development team later worked on the original Street Fighter II and some of the characters from Final Fight later appeared as playable fighters in other entries of the franchise such as the Street Fighter Alpha sub-series.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/2qCN-YOi14o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/2qCN-YOi14o</a>

Personal Thoughts

I've never played this.  I'm not really a fan of beat 'em ups (with a few exceptions).