Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 209
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
I love Bomberman but I don't know if I've played that version of it.

Super Bomberman was very easy.  Too easy if you ask me, and I hate difficult video games.

The original Bomberman on NES I think was not quite as easy, but it was much longer.  Super Bomberman has, I think maybe 48 levels.  Original Bomberman had 100.  Also I think the levels were more than 1 screen big.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2760
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Super Bomberman's time to shine was as a party game. The single player mode wasn't much, but when you got 3 or 4 people together, it was the bomb! (Pun intended!)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 270
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
I don't care what anyone says. Demon's Crest is still hard as shit. If you were just fighting against an army of Arthurs, then things might be a lot more fun and easier. as it is though, you're up against demons far more powerful than you are and they can easily and repeatedly kick your ass over and over again.

• Big Montana
Bonk's Adventure
System: Turbo Grafx 16

26 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #1 Cole Stratton

Year of Release: 1990

Details

Bonk's Adventure is a 2D platform video game developed by Red Company and Atlus as the first game in the Bonk series that was released in 1989 in Japan and 1990 in North America for the TurboGrafx-16.

The game's protagonist is Bonk, a strong and bald caveboy who battles anthropomorphic dinosaurs and other prehistoric themed enemies. Bonk's mission is to rescue Princess Za (a small pink Pleisiosaur-type reptile) who has been kidnapped by the evil King Drool (a large, green, Tyrannosaurus-type dinosaur).  In the Arcade version, Bonk is also assisted by a female version of himself

Bonk attacks enemies by "bonking" them with his large, invincible forehead. Bonk starts the game with three hearts' worth of health, which are depleted to blue as Bonk takes damage, and three extra lives. Bonk's health can be restored in increments by collecting fruits and vegetables.
Bonk can also collect pieces of meat as power-ups; these lend him special abilities and make him stronger. There are three stages of power-up: his normal self, a second stage during which he can stun enemies by pounding on the ground, and a third stage where he becomes temporarily invulnerable. Meat can be found in two varieties: big meat and small meat. The effects of meat are additive but wear off over time. A small meat gives Bonk the second stage of meat power and a large one takes him to stage three. Eating a small meat while in stage two will also put Bonk into the third, invincible stage of meat power. When the third stage effect wears off he returns to the second state and remains there for a while before turning back to the regular Bonk. Eating either size of meat while in the third stage of meat power-up will reset the timer on Bonk's meat power.
Bonk can occasionally collect red heart power-ups that refill an entire heart worth of health, or even more rarely, a large red heart, which restores all of Bonk's missing health. There are also two rare, blue heart power-ups in the game which will increase Bonk's maximum health by one heart.
Bonking an enemy will typically knock it backward and slightly into the air. Defeating an enemy yields points and also releases a small "smiley" power-up. Bonk's smileys are totaled at the end of each stage after defeating the boss of that stage. The player is given additional points and a caveman type congratulation based on how many smileys were collected.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/jpturNJSjK0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/jpturNJSjK0</a>

Personal Thoughts

I put this game on my list, but at #25.  Maybe I should have put it higher.  It's a fun little cartoony platformer.  It's pretty easy.  I had it on TurboGrafx back in the 90s, and later got it for Wii Virtual Console.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
Bonk got exactly 26 points because it was right at the bottom of my list and right at the top of Cole's.

• Big Montana
Mega Man 7
System: Super Nintendo

29 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #9 PsychoGoatee

Year of Release:1995

Details

Mega Man 7 is the seventh entry in the original Mega Man series.  It was the first and only entry in the original series released on the Super Nintendo.  Taking place in the 21st century (the ambiguous year 20XX), Mega Man 7 begins directly after the events of Mega Man 6. Thanks to the efforts of Mega Man and his friends, Dr. Wily was finally brought to justice. However, Wily had always known that he might be imprisoned one day, and so he had constructed four backup Robot Masters in a hidden laboratory: Burst Man, Cloud Man, Junk Man, and Freeze Man. If they did not receive any communication for six months, they would activate and begin searching for their master.

After six months, the robots activate, round up an army, and go on a rampage throughout the city in which Dr. Wily is being held. Mega Man is called into action. Upon driving into the city with Roll and Auto, he sees that it is in ruins, and that he is too late to stop Wily's Robot Masters from liberating the evil scientist. Mega Man gives chase, but is stopped by Bass, a robot with capabilities much like Mega Man's own, and his robotic wolf Treble. After a brief skirmish, Mega Man is informed that the two of them are battling Wily as well. Bass and Treble then take off, leaving Mega Man confused, but convinced that he has new allies and determined to again stop Dr. Wily's plans.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/CHjiUOQ_4dg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/CHjiUOQ_4dg</a>

Personal Thoughts

My cousin had a copy of this game on SNES that I played a few times.  I never played it all the way through until probably around 2009 or so when I played the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on Game Cube.  Most of the Mega Man games I've played were great, except Mega Man X6, which was just way too difficult.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2434
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Shocked that I was the only other one to pick Super Bomberman.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 270
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
I love Megaman 8, Megaman X, and Megaman 1 and 3, but 2 will always be my top favorite. I don't think I've ever played 7 before.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 81
  • We are the road crew!
7 is fun stuff. Agreed 2 is the best though for sure, speaking of NES, I played Bonk's Adventure on NES, great game. And Bomberman is also cool.

• Big Montana
Toejam and Earl
System: Genesis

31 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #10 Pak-Man

Year of Release:1991

Details

ToeJam & Earl is an action video game developed by Johnson Voorsanger Productions and published by Sega for the Sega Genesis video game console. Released in 1991, it centers on the titular ToeJam and Earl—alien rappers who have crash-landed on Earth. As they attempt to escape the planet, players assume the role of either character and collect pieces of their wrecked spacecraft. ToeJam & Earl's design was heavily influenced by the role-playing video game Rogue, and took from it such features as the random generation of levels and items. It references and parodies 1980s and early 90s urban culture and is set to a funk soundtrack.
The game was positively received by critics, who praised its originality, soundtrack, humor and two-player cooperative mode. It attained sleeper hit status despite low initial sales, and its protagonists were used as mascots by Sega. ToeJam & Earl was followed by two sequels: ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron and ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth, released for the Sega Genesis and Xbox, respectively. The sequels' commercial and critical success was mixed. A fourth title, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove, is currently in development with funds from Kickstarter. The game was re-released for the Wii's Virtual Console in December 2006 and re-released again on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade in November 2012.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/nJHKkkarGSw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/nJHKkkarGSw</a>

Personal Thoughts

I played this game a bunch in the early 90s.  I don't think my family ever owned a copy.  We just borrowed it from our friend Steve sometimes.  I never completed it though.  It's a fun and quirky little game.

• Big Montana
Super Mario All Stars

31 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #9 Johnny Unusual

Year of Release:1993

Details

Super Mario All-Stars is a compilation cartridge of 4 earlier NES Mario titles: Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, and Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels (which is actually a port of the Japanese version of Super Mario Brothers 2).  The games are updated with Super Nintendo graphics.  A save feature has also been added.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/A9caWLiWzT0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/A9caWLiWzT0</a>

Personal Thoughts

I remember seeing the ads for this game and getting super excited.  Got a copy at Electronics Boutique.  Enjoyed it greatly.  With 4 great games in one, you get a lot of bang for your buck.  I love these kinds of compilation games.  I also have, for my Game Cube: Mega Man X Collection, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, and a promotional Zelda compilation with 4 games (Zelda, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4517
  • Mr. Robot
Yep, it's just 4 good looking versions of Nintendo/Famicom games, but REALLY handsome versions of them.  On one cartridge.

• Big Montana
Yep, it's just 4 good looking versions of Nintendo/Famicom games, but REALLY handsome versions of them.  On one cartridge.

Plus, since Lost Levels had been never before released in North America, an entire new game was included for most people.

I heard there was another version of this that included Super Mario World, but I never owned that.  I didn't know about it and it would have been redundant.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 81
  • We are the road crew!
Gotta love Mario, he's the timeless classic of video games. And Toejam & Earl was memorable zany stuff. Digging the countdown!

• Big Montana
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

32 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #6 Quirk

Year of Release:1996

Details

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! is an adventure platform video game developed by Rare and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). It was first released on November 22, 1996 in North America, November 23, 1996 in Japan and on December 13, 1996 in Europe and Australia. It is the third instalment of the Donkey Kong Country series, the final game in the original trilogy, and serves as a direct sequel to Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. It was also re-released for the Game Boy Advance in 2005, with a new soundtrack. The game was made available to download on the Wii's Virtual Console service in 2007, as well as for the Wii U's Virtual Console in 2014.
The plot revolves around Dixie Kong and her cousin, Kiddy Kong, in their attempts to rescue the kidnapped Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong from series antagonist King K. Rool. The game is set in the "Northern Kremisphere", a fictionalised version of northern Europe and Canada. Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! utilises the same Silicon Graphics technology from its predecessors, which feature the use of pre-rendered 3D imagery. The game received positive reviews upon release. Critics praised the visuals and various aspects of gameplay, however most were divided over the game's soundtrack.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/pu3ndkvhdYI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/pu3ndkvhdYI</a>

Personal Thoughts

I never played DKC2 or 3, although I did own the original game.  It was a lot of fun, and I like platformers.