Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "They belong here more than we"
You should really check out Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the night Edward, they're by far the best entries in the series and  they represent both sides of the Castlevania Spectrum: Classic Castlevania and Metroidvania.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 389
Castlevania 4 is certainly a good game, but it wasn't as good as CV3. That was the zenith of classic Castlevania IMHO.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
Castlevania 4 is certainly a good game, but it wasn't as good as CV3. That was the zenith of classic Castlevania IMHO.
I think Castlevania 4 was the better game because movement was much more accessible, the action with the whip was a lot of fun, and  there were a lot more levels if I recall correctly. It just felt a lot more fulfilling when you'd finish a stage. I always found Castlevania 3 to be really frustrating. The partner characters in Castlevania 3 were just too weak. One hit and they'd take like 3 or 4 damage.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2331
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
 Castlevania IV is such a great showcase for the SNES. If I recall, it was a launch title, or really close to it. If it was your first, you were treated to these beautiful songs and photorealistic (For the time) graphics. And of course there was mode-7. Blew me away.

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
#44A
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
System: Super Nintendo

21 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #5 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release:1996

Details

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals is a role-playing video game with puzzle elements developed by Neverland and published in Japan in 1995 by Taito, and in North America and Europe in 1996 by Natsume and Nintendo respectively, for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
The game is a prequel to Lufia & the Fortress of Doom. It follows the story of the first main character's ancestor, Maxim, and explains the origins of the war between mankind and a group of gods called the Sinistrals. Lufia II made a number of changes from the first game. Dungeons no longer have random encounters and there are hundreds of puzzles throughout the game, ranging from simple to extremely challenging. It also introduced new skills, such as a variety of weapons that could be used to stun monsters or solve puzzles, and IP attacks.

One notable feature of the game is the Ancient Dungeon, an optional dungeon encountered midway through the main storyline.  The game is 99 levels deep, players are returned to level 1, and there are no save points in the dungeon.  There are limited MP and HP recovery tiles.  Through careful progress, players can advance in level, generally reaching the upper 60s by the bottom (if they survive).

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/RBnYGYa6l3M" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/RBnYGYa6l3M</a>

Personal Thoughts

Love this game, obviously.  One of my favorites.  The spell system is novel.  Instead of learning spells, you buy scrolls.  It makes equipping your characters a more time consuming process, but I think it's neat.  I've played through many times, but never actually on an SNES.  Always on emulator.  I remember I first saw this in 1998.  It has a system called “Capsule Monsters”, where you get a set of 6 monsters you can recruit to your team.  You can evolve the monster into stronger forms by feeding it certain items.  I saw this, then 2 months later Pokemon came out and I thought it was based on the Capsule Monster system.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
#44B
Bugs Bunny's Rabbit Rampage

21 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #5 Stethcantus

Year of Release: 1994

Details

Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage is an action video game released exclusively for the SNES in 1994. The player controls Bugs Bunny as he fights traditional Looney Tunes villains in order to confront the main villain of the story, animator Daffy Duck. The game's title is derived from the 1955 animated short Rabbit Rampage, which follows a similar plot of Bugs at the mercy of an antagonistic animator, revealed to be Elmer Fudd.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/n57FxAwaQs0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/n57FxAwaQs0</a>

Personal Thoughts

Never played it or heard of it.  I've played some Tiny Toons games, but this one is unfamiliar to me.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 389
I've never heard of Rabbit Rampage either.

Lufia 2 I have heard of. Mostly good things. No random encounters is a big plus. Hundreds of puzzles? That sounds like Alundra  :-\  I should really give that game a try.

• Big Montana

Lufia 2 I have heard of. Mostly good things. No random encounters is a big plus. Hundreds of puzzles? That sounds like Alundra  :-\  I should really give that game a try.

Hundreds is an exaggeration.  I probably should have checked that before I posted.  There's like 1 puzzle per major dungeon, and they're usually not that hard.  Probably fewer than 20 in the whole game.  The hardest is the appropriately (but kind of unfortunately) named "World's Most Difficult Trick".  It is optional, but you get some nice treasure from it.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/RmWEBN4elS8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/RmWEBN4elS8</a>

• Big Montana
#44C
Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron
System: Genesis

21 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #5 Edward J Grug III

Year of Release:1993

Details

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron is a platform video game developed by Johnson Voorsanger Productions and published by Sega in 1993 for the Sega Genesis. The game is the sequel to cult video game ToeJam & Earl, released in 1991. The game concerns two alien protagonists, ToeJam and Earl, both of whom have escaped from Earth, where they had crash landed. After returning to their home planet of Funkotron, the duo discover a number of antagonistic Earthlings have stowed away on the spacecraft and are wreaking havoc across the planet. The player must hunt down these Earthlings and imprison them in jars before sending them back to Earth.
The game's platform format was a departure from the original ToeJam & Earl, a treasure hunt game with randomly generated levels, inspired by the game Rogue. Creators Greg Johnson and Mark Voorsanger originally began designing a game built on the concepts of the original, but changed to a more generic type of game due to a lack of support for their vision on the part of Sega. The game was critically well received, with reviewers praising the graphics, soundtrack, fluid action and two-player mode. It was also a commercial success, but fans of ToeJam & Earl were disappointed and confused by the radical change in direction.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/jwizXA9Di1k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/jwizXA9Di1k</a>

Personal Thoughts

Never played this game, although I do remember seeing it in Gamepro.  It looked like a generic platformer, and those are a dime a dozen.  The story is a fun concept though.  Earthlings invade another planet.

• Big Montana
Time for work!  3 more coming this evening.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 24

#44B
Bugs Bunny's Rabbit Rampage

Personal Thoughts

Never played it or heard of it.  I've played some Tiny Toons games, but this one is unfamiliar to me.

Rabbit Rampage was a major SNES release that got a lot of hype from Nintendo and even made the front cover of Nintendo Power magazine.

It was based on the classic Looney Tunes cartoon of the same name where Bugs Bunny is harassed by the animator of the cartoon who does everything from painting goofy hats on Bugs, to painting him into a bull ring with a bull. ( There is a companion cartoon where Daffy Duck is harassed by the animator. ) It was a fun game that looked exactly like the cartoon, and more importantly, had game play that complemented the film it was based on, rather than most of the other Looney Tune licence games that looked like the programmer never saw a Looney Tunes cartoon before.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • We are the road crew!
Kudos on putting together this cool countdown!

Lot of good games on here! Castlevania is great. Secret of Evermore and Breath of Fire are cool, played a good bit of those. Toejam and Earl are classy dudes.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2331
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yeah, Rabbit Rampage is the bomb. Sunsoft made a lot of really great games based on Looney Tunes licenses.

Panic on Funkatron got bumped off my list, but it was a painful cut. While I prefer the Rogueishness of the original, there was a lot of great humor. It looks like a standard platformer, but it's really more of a 2D scavenger hunt, where you have to fully explore each level. Plus it was funny. Bonus points always for games that can make me laugh.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
Never could get into Toe Jam and Earl...  :(

• Big Montana
#43A
Dungeon Explorer
System:Turbo Grafx 16

22 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release:1989

Details

Dungon Explorer is a Turbo Grafx 16 fantasy game.  It is similar to the game Gauntlet.  Players take control of a character of one of 8 character classes, each with different strengths, weaknesses, and special abilities.  Classes include fighter, thief, warlock, witch, bishop, elf, bard, and gnome (oddly spelled “knome” in game).  Later in the game 2 more classes, princess and hermit, are unlocked.

The story involves the quest to find the mystical Ora Stone and stop the devil Natas.  The world is wide open, with more areas becoming unlocked as the player progresses.  Monsters spawn endlessly out of generators, which can be destroyed to stop the flow of new spawns.

The game supports up to 5 players simultaneously using the Turbo Tap accessory.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ICR-YjEVviY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ICR-YjEVviY</a>

Personal Thoughts

I love this game.  Played it multiple times since 1991.  I've played multiplayer a few times, but never got a full 5 players.  I've always wanted to do that.  I found the princess character fascinating.  You rescue her somewhere on level 4, then get the password to unlock her.  She dresses in tomboyish garb, and is actually the best fighter of all.  Which really blew my mind back then and is still pretty uncommon among princesses in RPGs.

The music was pretty cool too.