Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 8857 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 146
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Ah the 90s!  Pogs!  Pete & Pete! Bill Clinton!  Other nostalgic pop culture things that I can't remember.  Perhaps most enduring in my mind were the video games.  That and the endless commercials for long distance services, the predecessor to today's endless commercials for cell phones.

During the first half of the 90s, the 8-bit consoles (Nintendo and Sega Master System) were on their way out, making way for the next generation.  To compete in the 16-bit market, Sega released the Genesis and Sega CD, Nintendo released the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and NEC released the Turbo Grafx 16.  TG-16 came first, then Genesis, and finally Super Nintendo.  Competition was fierce... moreso than it seems console competition is today.  I remember being on Prodigy, an online service that was sort of a pre-cursor to the Internet, back in 1990 through 1993.  There were intense flame wars between Sega fans and Nintendo fans.  It was the first time I had ever seen such a thing.  Eventually the flame wars devolved into something made of pure hatred that had nothing to do with either system.  "Nintendo vs. Genesis" gave way to "Bashers vs. Anti-Bashers". 

So enough of the history, let's get to the list.  Let's talk about ties.  These happened quite a few times.  When there was a tie, the item that was on more lists won out.  If all were on the same number of lists, the item that had the highest position on an individual list won.  Somewhere around #40, I ran into these unbreakable ties where all items were on exactly one list, and at the same top position.  I had to break this up into sub items (e.g. 40A, 40B, 40C) because it would have been unfair to arbitrarily rank one higher.  Consequently, the list actually expanded to 58 items. 

Details are all pretty much cribbed from Wikipedia.  I'm not a particularly skilled writer, and with 58 items it would have been just too difficult to give a decent writeup from my own thinky-parts.  The "Personal Thoughts" at the end was all my own though.

I added in a picture or two, and a video.  Usually a playthrough, but for RPGs I went with something shorter because role playing games are very long.

That said, here we go with the Top 58 Games of the 16-Bit Era.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:10:27 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
U.N. Squadron
System: Super Nintendo

16 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #11 by Russoguru

Year of Release: 1989

Details

U.N. Squadron is a 1989 side-scrolling shooting game released by Capcom for the CPS arcade hardware and for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game was released in Japan as Area 88 ( and is based on the manga series of the same name, featuring the same main characters. Here, their mission is to stop a terrorist group known as Project 4. It was followed by the sequel Carrier Air Wing.

The game is a typical side scrolling shooter, going against the trend of other Capcom shooters, such as 1942, and 1943: The Battle of Midway, which are vertically scrolling shooters. However, like other Capcom shooters, the player has an energy bar that is consumed over the course of a single life as the player sustains damage. This trait is highly uncommon among other comparable arcade-style shooters which normally use a system of reserve lives, where one of which is lost upon a single enemy hit. Before entering a level, the player can purchase special weapons or added defenses in the shop. The player earns money to buy weapons by destroying enemy planes and vehicles during levels and, when the level is finished, any unused weapons are converted back into money.
The player can choose between three mercenary pilots: Shin Kazama, Mickey Simon, and Greg Gates. Each pilot flies a specific plane and has slightly different capabilities.
The game was converted to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Famicom in 1991. Unlike in the arcade version, each pilot can use a range of planes. All pilots start out with $3000 and the basic F8 Crusader, and can buy other aircraft and weapons as they progress.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KytTuahMons" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KytTuahMons</a>

Personal Thoughts

I've never heard of this game until it was submitted for the list.  So I can't say much.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:41:40 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
Kirby's Dreamland 3

16 Points
3 of 11 Lists  Highest Rank: #13 by Russoguru

Year of Release:1997

Details

Kirby's Dream Land 3 is the fifth platformer video game starring Kirby. Specifically, it is the third game under the Kirby's Dream Land name. Although the first two games were largely unrelated, Dream Land 3 features many similar characters to Dream Land 2. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards was the sequel to this game.

After the events of Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby and Gooey are on a fishing trip, when all of a sudden, Dark Matter appears and shatters the planet's rings. He then proceeds to possess various Dream-Landers, including King Dedede. Kirby and Gooey then team up with Rick, Coo, and Kine, as well as new characters Pitch, ChuChu, and Nago.

Interesting trivia: this was actually the last Super Nintendo game released in North America.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/djamgcRUuj4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/djamgcRUuj4</a>

Personal Thoughts

I haven't played many Kirby games.  I played Kirby's Adventure for NES a few times, but that's about it.  I watched the Saturday morning cartoon Kirby: Right Back At Ya, back in 2004.  I think that was the last year I watched Saturday morning cartoons. 

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 192
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Sweet! Two picks from my list, I like the way this list is going so far.  ;D

• Big Montana
Secret of Evermore

17 points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #17 by Linszoid

Year of Release:1995

Details

Secret of Evermore is an action role-playing game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It was released by Square in North America on October 1, 1995. In February 1996, it saw release in the PAL territories of Europe and Australia. A Japanese release was planned to follow the North American release by a few months,but was ultimately cancelled.
The story of Secret of Evermore follows a boy and his pet dog as they are inadvertently transported to a fantasy world created by an eccentric inventor. The player guides both the boy and his shapeshifting dog through Evermore, a world that is composed of separate realms, each resembling a different period of real-world history. The gameplay shares many similarities with Secret of Mana, such as real-time battles, a ring-shaped menu system, and the ability to switch control between the two characters. Despite similar game mechanics and a similar title, it is not an entry in the Mana series.
Secret of Evermore is unique in that it is the only game developed by Square designers in North America.

The protagonist wields four different styles of weapons throughout the game: sword, spear, axe, and bazooka. Almost all swords, axes, and spears have four versions, and repeated use of them can increase their skill levels to a maximum of three, unlocking a new charged attack with each level. The range and power of each type of weapon increased the more it is used; for instance, spears at a high enough level may be thrown at an enemy across the screen, while the swords and axes can cut swathes of destruction around the boy's vicinity. With the exception of the Bone Crusher, all swords, axes, and spears can cut through vegetation; some weapons are required to break rocks and other barriers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dEu8wDAQuDk?rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dEu8wDAQuDk?rel=0</a>

Personal Thoughts

Another one I've never heard of.  I probably saw an ad for it back in the day, but I never played it and don't remember it.

Offline Russoguru

Ha ha!-- Aww... I forgot all about Secret of Evermore.  :(

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 464
  • 5000 deaths and counting
I was the other person with UN Squadron. In Japan it's called Area 88 and is based on the manga/anime of the same name. I've seen the anime, and it's surprisingly dark. The main character is essentially kidnapped and forced to work as a fighter pilot for a group of mercenaries. He has to earn $1.5 million or work for three years to buy back his freedom. But it turns out he really likes killing people.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4400
  • Mr. Robot
Secret of Evermore is one I always wanted to try, but never did.

• Big Montana
Breath of Fire

18 points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #12 by Linszoid

Year of Release:1994

Details

Breath of Fire is a role-playing video game developed by Capcom originally for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Initially released in Japan in April 1993, the game was later made available in North America in August 1994 by Square Soft, who handled the title's English localization and promotion.
Recognized by Capcom as their first traditional role-playing video game, Breath of Fire would set the precedent for future entries in the series, and features character designs artist Keiji Inafune, as well as music by members of Capcom's in-house sound team Alph Lyla. In 2001, the game was re-released for the Game Boy Advance handheld system with new save features and minor graphical enhancements, with the English version being released in Europe for the first time. In 2016, it was released for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console.
Set in a fantasy world, Breath of Fire follows the journey of a boy named Ryu, one of the last surviving members of an ancient race with the ability to transform into mighty dragons, as he searches the world for his sister. During his quest, Ryu meets other warriors who share his quest, and comes into conflict with the Dark Dragon Clan, a militaristic empire who seeks to take over the world by reviving a mad goddess. The game experienced mostly positive reception upon release, and was followed by a direct sequel, Breath of Fire II, in 1994.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oxmU6rURGvo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oxmU6rURGvo</a>

Personal Thoughts

I've never played this one.  I never heard of Breath of Fire until 2000 when I played Breath of Fire 3 on Playstation.  That one was one of my favorite RPGs.  I played Breath of Fire 4 briefly, but never got very far.

• Big Montana
Sonic and Knuckles
System: Genesis

19 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #10 by Quirk

Year of Release:1994

Details

Sonic and Knuckles is a 1994 side-scrolling platform video game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the Sega Genesis. An installment in the main Sonic the Hedgehog series, it is a direct sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 3, which released earlier that year. The story follows Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna in their respective quests to save Angel Island; Sonic tries to prevent Dr. Robotnik from relaunching his orbital weapon, the Death Egg, while Knuckles scuffles with Robotnik's minion, known as EggRobo.

Sonic and Knuckles was promoted with Sega's new Lock-on Technology.  The cartridge itself had an additional slot at the top.  You could insert any other Sega Genesis cartridge, although for most of them it would just present an error screen.  Attaching Sonic1 would let you play the sphere collecting minigame from Sonic 3.  Attaching Sonic 2 would let you play that game as Knuckles.  Attaching Sonic 3 gave you the most bang for your buck, concatenating Sonic 3 with Sonic and Knuckles, essentially creating a new game: Sonic 3 and Knuckles. 

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/vOYdR5mVZ-A" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/vOYdR5mVZ-A</a>

Personal Thoughts

I owned this game (along with the other 3 Genesis Sonic platformer games) on my Genesis back in the 90s.  Sonic and Knuckles on its own is good, but lacking.  There's no save feature so you have to play the whole game in one sitting.  I think it's harder to unlock Super Sonic too because you need all the Chaos Emeralds and all the Super Emeralds with half the number of bonus stages.  I'm not sure of that though.  I even tested this back around 2007, but forgot since then.

One of my fondest memories was playing this game in the summer of 2000.  My brother was there along with my cousin and his miniature dachshund, Nesbitt.  I spent a long day playing the game from the top, and getting all the emeralds.  Toward the end, I started to get loopy and think the dog was talking to me.

Offline Russoguru

I had Sonic and Knuckles at one point myself and honestly... I didn't get a whole lot out of it. I think by that time I was just done with the whole Sonic series as a whole. I did like Sonic 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast to some degree though.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 464
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Any fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog games should check out Freedom Planet (it's on Steam). It began as a Sonic fan game, but became it's own thing. And it's very good. The best "Sonic" game since Sonic 2.

• Big Montana
Super Castlevania IV

20 points
3 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #12 by Russoguru

Year of Release:1991

Details

Super Castlevania IV is a platform game developed and published by Konami and the first Castlevania game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game was originally released in 1991 and later re-released on the Virtual Console in 2006 for the Wii,in 2013 for the Wii U, and in 2016 for the New Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo re-released Super Castlevania IV in the United States in September 2017 as part of the company's Super NES Classic Edition.
Super Castlevania IV features expanded play control, 16-bit graphics featuring SNES Mode 7, and a soundtrack featuring brand new pieces and arrangements based on previous Castlevania music. Following the same setting as Castlevania on the NES, the game takes place in 1691 Transylvania, where the vampire hunter Simon Belmont must defeat the vampire Dracula. The game received critical acclaim with some calling it one of the greatest video games of all time
Super Castlevania IV is a side-scrolling platform game where the player takes control of Simon through eleven levels. Players begin the game with three lives, and it ends in a game over once they have lost them all. The player will lose a life if all of Simon's health gauge is depleted or if they do not finish the level within the time limit. The health gauge can be restored through food items that can be dropped from candles and enemies, or with the Magic Crystal, which is received after defeating the boss at end of each level. A password can also be entered to continue the game.
With Simon's whip, players can attack enemies in eight directions with the use of the control pad. By holding down the attack button, the whip will go limp and can be waved around with the control pad, which can be used to block projectiles. The length and power of the whip can be increased up to two levels by collecting an item called the Morning Star. The whip is not only used for fighting, but also for latching onto rings to swing over areas that are too wide or dangerous for the player to jump across. In addition to jumping, the player can control Simon to move while crouching.
Like its predecessors, players can use secondary weapons that consume Simon's "Hearts", which are dropped from candles and enemies. The secondary weapons include but are not limited to an axe which can be thrown in an arc, a watch which stops all enemy motion and a dagger that can be thrown across the screen. Collecting the items known as the Double and Triple Shots allows the player to throw secondary weapons up to three times in a row.
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Myn_YNHHvaE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Myn_YNHHvaE</a>

Personal Thoughts

I never got much into Castlevania.  I played Castlevania 1 & 2 briefly, and Symphony of the Night, but never many more than that.  It looks like a good solid platformer though.

• Big Montana
Ok that's all for today.  Gonna do 5 or 6 a day. 

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2313
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
I never played any Castlevania games. I feel like they would probably appeal to me, but I just never got to them.
FINE