login

Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 130
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Super Mario RPG
System: Super Nintendo

55 Points
5 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #8 Pak-Man

Year of Release: 1996

Details

Super Mario RPG, subtitled Legend of the Seven Stars in its North American release, is a role-playing video game developed by Square and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It was released on March 9, 1996, in Japan and on May 13, 1996, in North America. Nintendo ported the game, with minor differences, to the Wii's Virtual Console service in 2008 and to the Wii U's Virtual Console service by late June 2016 to regions around the world. Nintendo re-released Super Mario RPG in the United States in September 2017 as part of the company's Super NES Classic Edition.[1]
Super Mario RPG is the first role-playing video game in the Mario series. The game contains fundamental gameplay similarities and inspirations to other Square role-playing video games, such as the Final Fantasy series, with a story and action-based gameplay derived from the Super Mario Bros. series.
The story focuses on Mario and his party as they seek to eliminate the game's main antagonist, Smithy. Smithy has stolen the seven star pieces of Star Road where all the world's inhabitants' wishes become Wish Stars, and Mario must return the pieces so these wishes may again be granted. The game features five permanent playable characters. Super Mario RPG was directed by Yoshihiko Maekawa and Chihiro Fujioka and produced by Shigeru Miyamoto. Yoko Shimomura composed the game's score, which was released on a soundtrack album in Japan shortly after the game's debut.

Gameplay would be too long, so here is the catch “Battle Against an Armed Boss” music.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/UQl7wDCKXSM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/UQl7wDCKXSM</a>

Personal Thoughts

I thought this was a great game.  Put it on my list.  Played through it many times on Super Nintendo, and later on Wii Virtual Console.  One of my favorite things is that the World Map is divided into these different sections that you progress through in a linear fashion.  You can go back at will, and I liked that it eventually came full circle.  You start and end at Bowser's Castle.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4362
  • Mr. Robot
As I understand it, the following Mario RPGs are actually much superior due to their great senses of humour, interesting gameplay and fun characters, but this still holds a big place in my heart.  Also a pretty good starter turn-based RPG for those new to the genre.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2525
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
As I understand it, the following Mario RPGs are actually much superior due to their great senses of humour, interesting gameplay and fun characters, but this still holds a big place in my heart.  Also a pretty good starter turn-based RPG for those new to the genre.
Most hold a special (earned) fondness for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door as the pinnacle of Mario RPGs, but Super Mario RPG was no slouch in the humor department. I love the big reveal and ridiculous overreaction to Mallow's big secret.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 183
  • "They belong here more than we"
Speaking of Super Mario RPG, why hasn't Nintendo made it available on the 3DS eshop channel??? It's a Nintendo game isn't it? I know there are legions of people that would love to take that game with them everywhere they go.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 444
The Super Mario RPG. The game Square decided to give us instead of Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). At the time I was pissed off about it. But having played both games, they probably made the right call.

Still, can't say I'm a big fan of SMRPG.

Oh,and here's Maria in Rondo of Blood

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WOKkDRx30rk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WOKkDRx30rk</a>

• Big Montana
I guess I was in a rush this morning (had to be out the door at 5:50 AM) and forgot to do the 2nd morning update.

I'm gonna slow it down a tad and do only 4 a day from here on out.  Will have more when I get home from work about 90 minutes from now.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
Star Fox

56 Points
6 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 Cole Stratton

Year of Release:1993

Details

Star Fox is a 1993 science fiction themed rail shooter game released by Nintendo.  It was the second three-dimensional Nintendo-developed game, behind 1992's X, also developed in co-operation with Argonaut Software. Star Fox was Nintendo's first game to use polygonal graphics. It accomplished this by being the first ever game to use the Super FX graphics acceleration coprocessor powered GSU-1. The complex display of three-dimensional models with polygons was still new and uncommon in console video games, and the game was much-hyped as a result.

This game takes place in a fictional solar system called the Lylat system, which is inhabited by anthropomorphic races such as foxes, frogs, birds, rabbits and apes. It contains the planets Corneria and Venom, representing good and evil, respectively. Andross, a scientist, has fled to Planet Venom after being banished from Planet Corneria, and has declared war on Corneria and unleashed an enormous army to wreak havoc on the Lylat System. General Pepper, the commanding officer of Corneria's defence force, dispatches a prototype high-performance fighter aircraft called the "Arwing". However, lacking in time to train pilots for the new fighters, he summons the elite mercenary team Star Fox to defeat Andross. Fox McCloud, the leader of the team, is accompanied by his teammates, Falco Lombardi, Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad.

The difficulty in Star Fox is set in a unique way. Most scrolling shooters, if they have selectable difficulty levels, allow the player to set the difficulty by choosing an option (e.g. "Easy," "Normal," and "Hard") at the beginning of the game. This option usually affects variables such as the number of lives a player has, the number of enemies encountered in the game, the speed of enemies, and so on. In contrast, at the beginning of Star Fox, the player is given a choice of one of three routes to take through the Lylat system. Each of these routes corresponds with a certain level of difficulty, but each route has its own series of unique levels. This gives Star Fox somewhat more replay value than other scrolling shooters that have a fixed series of levels each time the game is played. The three game paths all contain the planet Corneria (the first level) and Venom (the last level), but they each have different versions depending on the path taken.

Also, a notable line from the game “Do A Barrel Roll”, has been incorporated as an Easter egg in Google.  Go ahead and search for it right now if you're not familiar with it.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/k8dxLr_xVv4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/k8dxLr_xVv4</a>

Personal Thoughts

I played this a few times.  Was never a big fan.  I thought the graphics looked pretty awesome, although today they're very dated.

• Big Montana
Star Fox was originally at #29, which I thought would surprise a lot of people.  Then I realized I made a mistake in scoring and forgot to count Cole's inclusion of it.  So now here it sits at #14.

Offline Russoguru

And yet ANOTHER SNES game that should be on the 3DS EShop channel but as of now is not!  :P

• Big Montana
Earthbound

61 Points
5 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #1 Pak-Man

Year of Release: 1995

Details

Earthbound is a role-playing video game co-developed by Ape Inc. and HAL Laboratory and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. As Ness and his party of four, the player travels the world to collect melodies en route to defeating the evil alien force Giygas. It is the second game of the Mother series, and the only one to be released in the English language until its predecessor was released under the name EarthBound Beginnings in 2015 as part of Wii U's Virtual Console. EarthBound was released in Japan in August 1994, and in North America the next June.
The game had a lengthy development period that spanned five years. Its making involved a number of Japanese luminaries, including writer Shigesato Itoi, musician/songwriter Keiichi Suzuki, sound designer Hirokazu Tanaka, and future Nintendo president Satoru Iwata. Themed around an idiosyncratic portrayal of Americana and Western culture, it subverted popular role-playing game traditions by featuring a real world setting while parodying numerous staples of the genre. Itoi, who directed the game, wanted it to reach non-gamers with its intentionally goofy tone. Upon release, it was heavily marketed with a promotional campaign that sardonically proclaimed "this game stinks".
The player starts as a young boy named Nessas he investigates a nearby meteorite crash with his neighbor, Pokey.  He finds that an alien force, Giygas, has enveloped and consumed the world in hatred and consequently turned animals, humans, and objects into malicious creatures. A small, bee-like creature from the future instructs Ness to collect melodies in a Sound Stone to preemptively stop the force, but is killed shortly after when Pokey and Picky's mother mistakes him for a pest.

While visiting these eight Sanctuaries,Ness meets three other kids named Paula, Jeff, and Poo—"a psychic girl, an eccentric inventor, and a ponytailed martial artist", respectively—who join his party. Along the way, Ness visits the cultists of Happy Happy Village, where he saves Paula, and the zombie-infested Threed, where the two of them fall prey to a tra p. After Paula telepathically instructs Jeff in a Winters boarding school to rescue them, they continue to the city of Fourside and the seaside resort Summers. Meanwhile, Poo, the prince of Dalaam, partakes in a seemingly violent meditation called "Mu Training" before joining the party as well

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/nzaap7Zl3CE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/nzaap7Zl3CE</a>

Personal Thoughts

Another game I've never played.  I remember hearing of it though.  I seem to remember it came with a free player's guide, which is pretty special and uncommon for a game.  Usually you buy that sort of thing separately.

• Big Montana
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

63 Points
6 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #6 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release: 1992

Details

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time is a side scrolling beat 'em up style game.  Released in 1992, it was a Super Nintendo port of the arcade game, and the sequel to the earlier Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game.  The game supports 2 players in co-op mode.  The game opens with Krang, in a giant robo suit, stealing the Statue of Liberty.  The Turtles then pursue Shredder and Krang to the Technodrome.  As they are defeating Shredder, he pulls them into a time warp.  The Turtles must fight their way through multiple levels to work their way back to the present.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/hCHIg2JsD1Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/hCHIg2JsD1Y</a>

Personal Thoughts

I owned this game.  Obviously loved it since it is high on my list.  I remember liking it especially because it was pretty easy for a beat 'em up.

Offline Russoguru

Hmmm... for some reason I left this off my list. Yes, yes, I know it's a great game, and I'm sorry.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 38
Super Mario RPG was the last SNES game I ever played. That is because halfway through, my only working controller broke. I am sure that Nintendo deliberately designed the SNES controller to wear out, so you would need to buy a new one. Unfortunately by that time the SNES was being phased out, and Nintendo was no longer selling spare controllers.

The thing I remember most about Star Fox was deliberately killing the rabbit. You have four or five other ships that go on a mission with you and sort of help. You are not supposed to shoot them. But I accidentally shot the ship with the rabbit and it called me a jerk, or something like that, so for the rest of the level I blasted it's ship until it finally exploded. From that point on every game included killing the rabbit.

Earthbound came in this huge oversized box. There was nothing in it other than the game cartridge and the players guide. The only other game I can think of that came in an oversized box was Lethal Enforcers, and that is because it came with a gun.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 444
Super Mario RPG was the last SNES game I ever played. That is because halfway through, my only working controller broke. I am sure that Nintendo deliberately designed the SNES controller to wear out, so you would need to buy a new one.

While designed obsolescence is definitely a thing, my original controllers still work just fine. And if not, there's always emulation. 

The thing I remember most about Star Fox was deliberately killing the rabbit. You have four or five other ships that go on a mission with you and sort of help. You are not supposed to shoot them. But I accidentally shot the ship with the rabbit and it called me a jerk, or something like that, so for the rest of the level I blasted it's ship until it finally exploded. From that point on every game included killing the rabbit.

Earthbound came in this huge oversized box. There was nothing in it other than the game cartridge and the players guide. The only other game I can think of that came in an oversized box was Lethal Enforcers, and that is because it came with a gun.

Never played Earthbound. Was I really missing much?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2280
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Never played Earthbound. Was I really missing much?

Yes.
FINE