Author Topic: Season 12  (Read 6395 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 177
Re: Season 12
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 05:32:29 PM »
To me, a radical idea of a way to not overwhelm folks with too many minutes/hours of content at once (which reeks of a Netflix concern and not a concern fans would express) would be to release 1 episode a week.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 06:43:48 PM »
Netflix already does this with some shows, so for whatever reason they decided not to do it with MST3K.

It does seem like a pretty natural fit to me.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 04:39:12 AM »
I'd prefer it too.  However, Netflix seems to mostly save weekly stuff for stuff like Joel McHale and The Break, where it is weekly by nature (terrible rap band) or stuff that simul-casts with networks (which they have done with a couple of anime now).

That said, what I want is for them to do short letters segments and shorts between seasons from time to time, just for some consistent output.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 93
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »
I posted this on MSTie Facebook groups, but I'll post it again here:

I was thinking. The "Watch Out For Snakes" tour had shown that Joel has clearly been listening to MSTie's criticisms of Season 11, and as a result, made those two shows as classic as can be. So even if we get a reduced number of episodes for Season 12, what if we trade off quantity for quality, and instead get what many would regard as classic episodes in lieu of a shorter season? That's what I'm hoping for…

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2801
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »
I doubt they're going to be splitting the movie if they only have 6 episodes to begin with. I'd hope we're getting more than 2 movies this year. It doesn't make any sense from a "bingable" perspective either, because it means you're just injecting credits in the middle of the binging experience where you really don't need them.

Also of note, Joel promised a movie that's been in popular demand, and another that was made in the last 5 years.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
I'll agree that 6 episodes with 1 or 2 that end up good to great would be better than another 14 episodes that are mostly just OK.
Still hope whatever direction they're going to make it more binge friendly isn't too great a departure from the proven formula though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5401
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
I posted this on MSTie Facebook groups, but I'll post it again here:

I was thinking. The "Watch Out For Snakes" tour had shown that Joel has clearly been listening to MSTie's criticisms of Season 11, and as a result, made those two shows as classic as can be. So even if we get a reduced number of episodes for Season 12, what if we trade off quantity for quality, and instead get what many would regard as classic episodes in lieu of a shorter season? That's what I'm hoping for…
I agree, the live tour was fantastic, and improved over even the best of Season 11.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 05:15:37 PM »
Still hoping (despite what Joel said at the time) that recordings of the 2 live shows get released-in part because I really enjoyed Eegah! and in part cause I didn't get to see the other one. Don't want Eegah! or any re-riffs to be a part of Season 12, but it wouldn't surprise me if the other movie is the movie that Joel is talking about people wanting to see in Season 12.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
I'd prefer it too.  However, Netflix seems to mostly save weekly stuff for stuff like Joel McHale and The Break, where it is weekly by nature (terrible rap band) or stuff that simul-casts with networks (which they have done with a couple of anime now).

Weirdly, the next bunch (6) of Joel McHale episodes will drop all at once?
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
The concept of "seasons" is dying off. It was mostly an American phenomena where networks were willing to pay for runs of 40 episodes of television shows. This gradually dwindled to 24 episodes as they figured out viewership dropped off in the spring and summer months, and their biggest sponsors paid for the bulk of advertising between September and January.  Elsewhere in the world runs of episodes were called "series", and you would get anywhere between 13 to 3 episodes each new series. In America a "series" was every episode of a show, since the season including reruns lasted the entire year and ran right into the next season, giving the effect of the same show being on continuously.  But if you watched programs in the UK, a run of episodes would be much shorter, and the next run of episodes would not be called the next season, but considered an entirely new series. And new series were filmed whenever. They weren't broadcast on a season schedule. The first 13 episodes of something like Monty Python was followed by five months before the next 13 episodes, and then two years before the next 13 episodes. 

Viewership in America is changing. Shows are now being sold on a worldwide basis. All of this is contributing to the new normal being seasons that are shorter than Americans are use to, and airing inconsistently.  It is beginning to make more sense for both the networks and producers. For the networks, shorter seasons means committing less money when the risk of committing money to  the standard 24 episodes would force a play or pay situation where a season would continue to run even though the ratings have dropped. For the producer, it is easier to retain the original cast if they only have to commit to 6-13 episodes rather than the previous 6 months they were stuck filming a season, which often meant they either had to pass on movie roles, or quit the show for a movie role and have their character written out of the series. And filming less episodes means a season no longer needs to be padded out to a full 24 episodes with weaker episodes.

If MST3K is going to do a 6 episode season, it is possible that we may eventually see two or more seasons in a year, depending on cast availability and how often Netflix is wiling to finance the next season.  It also makes more sense for Shout! Factory. It is much less expensive to sell a six season box set ( they still need to pay royalties for each individual movie ) which can be sold for a much more reasonable price than $90, something more like $40 fir a season set. Also, concentrating on fewer episodes per season allows Shout! Factory to negotiate for higher profile and more recent films. The original MST3K relied on public domain and cheap independent films. But if you ever want to see something like Batman & Robin on MST3K, then it could only happen if Shout! Factory is negotiating for and budgeting for fewer episodes.

Another bonus for Shout! Factory would be less lag time between the Netflix release and Shout! Factory release. Netflix wants a longer exclusive to insure that every episode is rented, rather than having viewers who only got around to renting half the episodes and watched the rest on DVD or Blu-ray. Figure a six month season would be about half the lag time between Netflix and Shout! Factory release. So everyone is happy.... well, except the viewer who wanted the standard 24 season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:28:34 PM by stethacantus »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 258
Season 12 Started Filming Today!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »
That's according to a quiet little note at the bottom of the Today in MSTstory section of Satellite News.

And we all know those guys have a hotline to Joel so...

And no one has even made a comment there as of this writing so I'm the second to know, okay? Kiss me, minions!

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 94
Re: Season 12 Started Filming Today!
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
Joel just sent out an email saying the same thing.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Season 12 Started Filming Today!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »
That's according to a quiet little note at the bottom of the Today in MSTstory section of Satellite News.

And we all know those guys have a hotline to Joel so...

And no one has even made a comment there as of this writing so I'm the second to know, okay? Kiss me, minions!

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=33833.msg994652#msg994652
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
No kiss?

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana