Author Topic: Season 12  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
Season 12
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
Confirmed at the very VERY end of Turkey Day.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Season 12
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Any more details?
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2808
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:41:31 PM »
Just that Netflix gave them Season 12. I'm sure details will be rolled out whenever Joel gets around to telling everyone.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »
I'm not living in the USA anymore so different time zone. Went to bed after watching first half hour of the marathon. Woke up to the last half hour and waited until the end. I had a feeling they were going to make the announcement.
What a great way to start my Friday.

But don't blow it this time, guys! : )

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4315
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
Yup. From the Kickstarter 'Bring Back' newsletter, Joel says, "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return has officially been renewed for another season on Netflix in the 'not too distant future!'  I wish I had more details to share, but so far, that's literally everything we're able to announce – and, of course, I'll tell you more as soon as I can."

My ONE hope for season 12?  They don't edit the films at all any longer.  Cutting films to fit an exact one hour 30 minute (two hour TV) time slot doesn't make sense when they are on Netflix.  The MST episodes should vary by as much as the source films vary.  (Of course, they'll have at least 3-4 more minutes available each episode regardless, because they won't have thousands of names to credit for the Kickstarter any longer.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:17:22 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
I like to think they're keeping their options open so they can syndicate the new episodes, if that's even a possibility with Netflix shows. It'd suck if they had to cut material to make it fit if, say, the Hallmark Channel decided to air them.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Here's the announcement if anyone missed it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hpm9nHqXoaw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Hpm9nHqXoaw</a>

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »
I like to think they're keeping their options open so they can syndicate the new episodes, if that's even a possibility with Netflix shows. It'd suck if they had to cut material to make it fit if, say, the Hallmark Channel decided to air them.

I'm guessing part of the reason the show was so long in negotiation is that SHOUT retain more of the rights, as opposed to most of the shows they make. So I'm betting it is an option.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4315
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »

I'm guessing part of the reason the show was so long in negotiation is that SHOUT retain more of the rights, as opposed to most of the shows they make. So I'm betting it is an option.

Yes, but every other syndicated TV show is edited for syndication, with only original airing stations getting the full shows.  Why should these be different?

Why not have the full episodes to begin with (and to get hard copies of on DVD/Blu-ray) and then the edited syndicated versions would still be available to possibly convert late-comers?  I just (still) don't see why it would be considered detrimental to have the full films.  To me it would be far more appealing, because it would mean they don't have to sacrifice what little story integrity there may be in these films to fit an arbitrary run time.  [It also ceases to excuse riffs based solely on poor transitions or plot holes created by their having cut scenes from the films in the first place.  Incidents of which were apparent in episodes in the original runs on Comedy Central & Sci-Fi Channels, and seemed likely in some parts of season 11.  Those are cheap shots.  It would also result in a (very) few more riffs based solely on creative viewing.]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:01:48 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 04:52:28 AM »
Watched most of the marathon but fell asleep halfway trhough the last episode, so missed this announcement until seeing it in my email this morning. Surprised it was announced on Turkey Day.

Wasn't an announcement and not nearly as big of news, but during one of the intros Joel casually mentioned that they're hoping to do another live tour next summer.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 94
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »
We like this news VERY much!

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »

Yes, but every other syndicated TV show is edited for syndication, with only original airing stations getting the full shows.  Why should these be different?

Why not have the full episodes to begin with (and to get hard copies of on DVD/Blu-ray) and then the edited syndicated versions would still be available to possibly convert late-comers?  I just (still) don't see why it would be considered detrimental to have the full films.  To me it would be far more appealing, because it would mean they don't have to sacrifice what little story integrity there may be in these films to fit an arbitrary run time.  [It also ceases to excuse riffs based solely on poor transitions or plot holes created by their having cut scenes from the films in the first place.  Incidents of which were apparent in episodes in the original runs on Comedy Central & Sci-Fi Channels, and seemed likely in some parts of season 11.  Those are cheap shots.  It would also result in a (very) few more riffs based solely on creative viewing.]

I’m guessing Netflix’s algorithm shows that comedies over 90 minutes get fewer views, so they encouraged Joel to make that the max length.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 05:10:53 AM »
So I'm guessing we already know two of the films that might be riffed. They did a SuperArgo and Eegah! during the live tour. Was there another?

And don't forget Joel said they would probably riff shorts. I'm hoping so.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:17:48 AM »
I don't think so.  I feel like they went out of their way to say they wanted to make the live experience special, so I don't think they'll be doing Super Argo.  Plus they already did Eegah.  I think if they were going to do a re-riff, it would probably the Crawling Eye, which might make for a fun gimmick episode.

That said, I am WAY looking forward to the return of shorts, even if they are presented in youtube shorts or something (youtube shorts would also be a great way to do more mailbag segments.)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 84
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
I don't think so.  I feel like they went out of their way to say they wanted to make the live experience special, so I don't think they'll be doing Super Argo.  Plus they already did Eegah.  I think if they were going to do a re-riff, it would probably the Crawling Eye, which might make for a fun gimmick episode.

That said, I am WAY looking forward to the return of shorts, even if they are presented in youtube shorts or something (youtube shorts would also be a great way to do more mailbag segments.)

I read an interview with Joel and Jonah a few days before Turkey Day ( which I unfortunately can't find right now, else I'd link it), where they talked about possibly releasing "concert films" of the two live shows, separate from S11 and S12.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."