login

Author Topic: LucasM's Helpful MST3K DVD Set Stuff [Consolidated]  (Read 415 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4086
LucasM's Helpful MST3K DVD Set Stuff [Consolidated]
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:32 PM »
In my "Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks & Exclusive Shout! Bonus Discs" thread, over the course of its multiple pages, I added some stuff I'd done that might be of interest to people who might not have read that thread as it has progressed.  But those things I came up with are buried in there and therefore likely to be missed.  So I figured I'd consolidate the 'good stuff' here.

Please note: These aren't exact quotes of my posts.  I've edited them slightly to streamline them or clarify content, and I've added SHOUT!'s volume XXXIX data to the lists here.

INDEX OF RELEASED DVDs SORTED BY EPISODE NUMBER

There's a Legend 'round these parts:
"V" = 'volume'
"IND" = a release that was sold as an individual disc (not in a set)
"ESS" = in the 'Essentials' two-pack ['Manos' was also sold as an 'IND']
"TSC" = 'The Singles Collection' composed of All "IND" except for 'Beginning of the End' and 'Batwoman'
"20th" = '20th Anniversary' set, is also Volume 13
"25th" = '25th Anniversary' set, is also Volume 28
Sets 1-12 and all individual disc issues were Rhino, sets 13-on are all Shout! Factory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

INDEX OF RELEASED DVDs SORTED BY SET NUMBER

Same legend for what the labels mean:
"V" = 'volume'
"IND" = a release that was sold as an individual disc (not in a set)
"TSC" = 'The Singles Collection' composed of All "IND" except for 'Beginning of the End' and 'Batwoman'
"ESS" = in the 'Essentials' two-pack ['Manos' was also sold as a single-disc]
"20th" = '20th Anniversary' set, is also Volume 13
"25th" = '25th Anniversary' set, is also Volume 28
Sets 1-12 and all individual disc issues were Rhino, sets 13-on are all Shout! Factory.

There were four sets that were released in tins.  Those were: the 20th Anniv/vol XIII set, the Gamera/vol XXI set, the Turkey Day/vol XXXI set, and the 25th Anniv/vol XXVIII set.

There were two tins with cardboard slipcovers inside the tins.  They were: the 20th Anniv/vol XIII set, and the Gamera/vol XXI set.  The vol XIII tin was HUGE, as it also contained the crow figure inside the tin, where the other two plastic figures were outside the slipcover in the additional cardboard/plastic packaging they came in.

There were three sets that had plastic figures in them.  They were sets XIII (Crow), XVI (Tom Servo), and XIX (Gypsy).  The tins had only one crossover with the figures.  That was the 20th Anniversary set, which was also set XIII with the Crow figure.

Thanks to majorjoe23 and Retro Muppet Pastor, we can add this here for those finding the tins problematic or aesthetically displeasing on their shelves:
I think this is the set that Shout where Shout put the cardboard box up on their site for free (the buyer played $5 or so shipping). I’ve got it on the shelf in the regular box, with the tin tucked away.
I just ordered one from Shout Factory.  It's free, but they charge six bucks for shipping.
I just ordered the two cases they had, it remained only $5.99 shipping for the two of them.

For those not following the link, the one RMP linked to was the Turkey Day (volume XXXI) cardboard slipcover, the other they have available is the 25th Anniversary  (volume XXVIII) cardboard slipcover.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:11:55 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4086
Re: LucasM's Helpful MST3K DVD Set Stuff [Consolidated]
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »
And here's the 'Do-It-Yourself projects' things:

Since the Rhino sets had nothing indicating the episodes released on the spines, and the SHOUT! sets have the film titles written so small, I printed short inserts on cardstock that slip in at the bottom of the open end of the slipcover, with the episode numbers in that box on it.  That way the episode numbers would be visible on the spine, since those were not used on the packaging of either company.  The insert cards were used so that there was nothing that would damage/degrade the box.  Here are some of the box spines showing the episode number cardstock inserts.  [Boxes flanked by my Moore Creations statues.]

[For any wondering 'WTF's up with the right-to-left box order?', I got in the habit a while back of ordering things on shelves so that if they were taken directly off the shelf in clumps and stacked face up, they'd remain in order from the top down.]

If anyone likes the spine number insert cards I made, I kept the entire file and could save it as a PDF that you could just print out on card stock (or thick paper) and use for your own sets.  If interested, PM me and I'll send the PDF.

Given this is the last set, and therefore, the last Bonus discs, I created a slipcover for the four Bonus discs, using the slipcovers for the SHOUT! sets as a model.  I spent a LOT of time making stuff as a kid, using paper, cardstock, double-sided tape, glue, etc., so this was almost second nature.  [To give you an idea how much I did stuff like that, I asked for a professional paper trimmer (19"x19" wood base with heavy metal blade assembly) for my 'Jr High graduation' present (something my folks did).]  However, my color printer which handles 11x17" cardstock is not currently working, so I left the slipcover for the MST Bonus discs blank/white.  (Since I'm not displaying it, spending hours creating a perfect-looking custom sleeve would have been a waste for me anyway, so I don't feel I 'lost out' on it with it being blank, but they are easier to keep together (and vertical) in a slipcover.)  I did not make it so it could open on the spine like the SHOUT! ones do, just a solid slipcover (a 5-sided one-piece 'box' with no 'movable parts').

Thanks to Retro Muppet Pastor (in the following post), I can now show both the thing itself, and the basic 'blueprint' sketch of it (i.e. what it looks like pre-assembly).  I'm including the blueprint and instructions in the spoiler after the picture of it (for the instructions, once I started, I just kept typing - had no idea it would be that involved to write out clearly).

Instructions and 'blueprint' for slipcover assembly (if anyone is interested):
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 132
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:24:09 AM »
I think Shout Factory owns the rights to Fire Maidens of Outer Space (I saw their trademark on a video for the trailer) so it's curious that they couldn't get that one on DVD.

I was thinking of using this guide to make up some box sets, my own volume 39 and 40.  I could probably try and design the set, then just get Kinko's FedEx to print it out.  But that might be more trouble than it's worth.  The Rhino solo DVDs are all in individual cases, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to put the 11 unreleased episodes in just individual cases.

I just wish I could have found higher quality source video.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
I think Shout Factory owns the rights to Fire Maidens of Outer Space (I saw their trademark on a video for the trailer) so it's curious that they couldn't get that one on DVD.

The rights holders may have agreed to a release of just the movie and not the MST3K version since MST3K alters the film.

It's probably why Shout hasn't released any un-MiSTied movies even though they released the MST3K episodes.

I could be wrong though. Copyright law makes my eyes bleed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:13:22 PM by ManUnderMask »
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.