login

Author Topic: Embedding  (Read 616 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 358
Re: Embedding
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs</a>

And Likes are back also?! Thank you so much!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3006
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bjdAM7OKdqA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bjdAM7OKdqA</a> :highfive: :cheers:

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »
Back just in time for the List of Crap.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »
Yeah, it appears that the "Unread in menu bar" is going to take a bit more finessing. I'll take a look early next week. Hopefully Likes and embeds will hold everyone over for now :)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 300
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 10:07:51 PM »
Would it be worth looking at moving to a more modern software platform?

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 02:19:52 AM »
Yeah, it appears that the "Unread in menu bar" is going to take a bit more finessing. I'll take a look early next week. Hopefully Likes and embeds will hold everyone over for now :)

The content of those pages is being generated okay, but it's just the hyperlinks that are missing.  Normally, you'd think adding a hyperlink would be easy, but I learned early this year that adding a hyperlink can be really difficult sometimes.  I work as a software developer and back in January, our team worked on creating a new web based application.  I had the task of creating a hyperlink to the new application from our primary gateway application.  Basically users log in to this gateway application and can access various functionality both within the gateway application and in other external applications.  The link to the external application was in a navigation bar similar to what this forum uses.  I thought the solution would be as simple as putting in an ordinary hyperlink tag in a JSP somewhere, MAYBE updating some Java to include something in a list.  Turns out it actually involved making a bunch of specific additions to about 11 different database tables, and actually not a single line of code.

So... yeah.... Software can be stupidly difficult on ostensibly simple tasks.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3006
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 03:06:44 AM »
I like and embed this ;D

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
Would it be worth looking at moving to a more modern software platform?

Perhaps? I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to do a migration, but if there's a platform that has good results in doing that sort of thing, I'd be interested in taking a look!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 300
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
It just strikes me as so strange that Simple Machines doesn't have simple twitter/youtube embedding, seems those would be standard modern forum features.