Author Topic: Why was so much of the movie missing?  (Read 801 times)

Online Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: Why was so much of the movie missing?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 05:02:35 AM »
If I'm not mistaken MST eps minus host segs clocked in at about 120 minutes.

Minus host segments?  The episodes were 2 hours long with commercial, host segments, opening and closing credits.  The full episode without commercials comes in about 88 minutes.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »

Minus host segments?  The episodes were 2 hours long with commercial, host segments, opening and closing credits.  The full episode without commercials comes in about 88 minutes.

Sorry I meant minus commercials and host segs. Just talking about riffing in the theater, the movie. I think the last theater sequence is a little shorter than the others. So about 118 minutes of movie?

Online Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »

Sorry I meant minus commercials and host segs. Just talking about riffing in the theater, the movie. I think the last theater sequence is a little shorter than the others. So about 118 minutes of movie?

118 minutes is almost 2 hours.  It's about 88-90 minutes per episode without commercials.  When you subtract the host segments, it's even less movie.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2104
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Yeah, you get about 70-80 mins of riffing once you subtract the other stuff, so the same as what you get now. You can easily check this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094517/

1h 32min
FINE

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »

More like 93-97 minutes. With commercials it was 120 minutes.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:12 PM »
After watching Mind Ripper tonight, I'd argue that the MST3K excuse doesn't fly. If an MST3K riffed movie ended with showing 7 minutes of credits, they would have riffed over those credits. Cutting 30 minutes out of an hour and 45 minute movie and leaving 7 minutes worth of unriffed credits at the end doesn't sit right. I can understand cutting some unfamily friendly scenes here and there to try and keep releases PG, but Rifftrax started as riffing entire movies and not doing that for the new VOD business model seems like a cop out.
It won't stop me from buying any releases, but a lot of what was cut from Kill and Kill Again (as an example) was very very riffable and it's disappointing we didn't get it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:51:02 PM by wihogfan »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:42 AM »

More like 93-97 minutes. With commercials it was 120 minutes.

I should not do math when I'm tired.

Offline dbsommer

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Loathe though I am to admit it, I now recall the original well enough that cutting it made it even worse than it already was. How could they not riff on a crack skydiving team attacking our intrepid heroes? They somehow managed to cut out the fact Hot Dog would annoyingly say 'Hot Dog' every 5 minutes, out of the movie completely.

Yes, his own name was also his catchphrase.

As it is, this actually felt incredibly rushed, and the only reason he needed to recruit his 'crack team' was to throw him at the bad guy, and for someone to hold the helicopter blade. Did Hot Dog do anything in this clipped version? Besides wearing the same guard outfit everyone else was?

What was there was good, but if you have to cut nearly a third of a movie to make a good riff, it's probably a better idea to use a different movie.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 596
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
For what it's worth - this has been discussed at company meetings and it has been decided that we're going to lighten up on the editing. This, Mind Ripper, and one other to come, were edited and written before that discussion happened but there is going to be less of this kind of thing going forward. Still edits in some movies, but used more sparingly.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
Thanks Thrashalla.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
That's good news. Thank you.

Offline V.E.R.A.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
For what it's worth - this has been discussed at company meetings and it has been decided that we're going to lighten up on the editing. This, Mind Ripper, and one other to come, were edited and written before that discussion happened but there is going to be less of this kind of thing going forward. Still edits in some movies, but used more sparingly.

Thank you - that is great news.   If the guys ever get around to riffing the rest of K&K again we would love to see it.  I've seen the rest of the movie since then and the material there really is priceless.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 696
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
That is good to hear. Too bad you guys couldn't get the HD version that is out on blu-ray now. 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »
That is good to hear. Too bad you guys couldn't get the HD version that is out on blu-ray now.

Crappy old movies lost some of their charm if the picture is crystal clear. Give me VHS quality or give me death!
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Phileaux

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »

Bad move.

Golden Corral's new slogan.
;D

In truth, I actually love the Golden Corral running gag.  If I were a rich man, I would hire someone to go through every Rifftrax of the past few years and make a supercut of every time they used that gag.  Or if I had the patience I'd do it myself, but you'd have to watch over 100 Rifftrax to flush them all out.  They've been going to that well for years now.

I do honestly detest the Nick Nolte jokes, and grit my teeth whenever I know one is coming.

I was a bit surprised to find that nobody's at least made a text list of them all.

And you're not the only one on the Nick Nolte bits. If they retired him for good I wouldn't mind at all.