Author Topic: Trace Was A Better Crow, Deal With It  (Read 6998 times)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
Re: Trace Was A Better Crow, Deal With It
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
Obviously they both have their fans... I think it has a lot to do with who you lost your virginity with (so to speak). I was a Trace guy to begin with, and since I resist change in most things, I just had a hard time getting used to Bill, but I was glad that he at least "sounded" similar...
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »
Actually, I thought Brandon Lee was the best Crow....

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
Actually, I thought Brandon Lee was the best Crow....

Yeah, well, ya see what he got for his trouble...
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
My two cents:

First of all, the riffs were written by comittee, and distributed fairly randomly, so the content of which Crow had funnier lines is not up for debate. If you were to read a transcript of an MST episode, it would be nearly impossible to tell who said what, so it comes down to delivery. I prefer Bill's Crow. Trace's Crow was funny, but Bill's Crow had more character. Servo, going all the way back to Josh, was always the pompous, intellectual bot, whereas Trace's Crow was just the other bot. But Bill gave Crow an impatient and sarcastic streak that I really love.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 04:04:09 AM »
Trace's Crow was just the other bot. But Bill gave Crow an impatient and sarcastic streak that I really love.

See, I just disagree with that (not that there's anything wrong with that). I always thought Trace's Crow was a perfect sarcastic entity. I just feel like he had more of an "edge" to his delivery (for lack of a better term). But what can I say, I'm a Trace fan , lol.

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 06:43:38 AM »
Personally, I find Trace's Crow voice to be slightly annoying. No offense to him, he's a funny guy and still had plenty of great jokes, but I myself am part of the "Bill-Crow" crowd. I think the voice worked perfectly. It gave him the right sort of personality and the inflection and such was always pretty funny. For example, whenever he'd talk down to Mike, the voice was just so perfectly sarcastic it made it really funny. As for impersonations, I think Trace's voice for Crow was too nasal to really be that accurate. But hey, that's just me.
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 07:14:35 AM »
I wonder if there are any people out there who started watching during the Trace era that prefers Bill... I bet not.  And by the "Trace era", I don't mean 1 or 2 episodes either  :P

I really think it's all about what you learned to love first. At least that's my theory.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 07:55:04 AM »
They're both really good, but...

MST3K had more clever, insightful riffs when Trace was there. Trace's Crow was usually the one to say them, so I can only guess that he wrote them. Plus, the host segments were MUCH better with him there. And, there seemed to be more filtering out of lame riffs.  After watching all of the MST3K episodes multiple times, I have to vote for Trace as MVP of the show.

Bill was great, though. In fact, he may have been the runner up if he was with the show longer. I love Bill's Crow's attitude and Bill has certainly proven himself in his Rifftrax appearances.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 09:37:02 AM »
Don't try and make this thread all serious! Poopyhead.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
LMAO ! Gotcha !

That'll teach ya !   :P

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
MST3K had more clever, insightful riffs when Trace was there. Trace's Crow was usually the one to say them, so I can only guess that he wrote them. Plus, the host segments were MUCH better with him there. And, there seemed to be more filtering out of lame riffs.  After watching all of the MST3K episodes multiple times, I have to vote for Trace as MVP of the show.

That really doesn't make much sense. Who came up with a riff in the writer's room had almost nothing to do with who eventually said it on the show. I agree that the host segments were better in the Comedy Central years, but riffs were more clever and insightful? It's not like the SciFi shows were 90 minutes of dick and fart jokes. I feel that the show only got sharper as time went on, as the writers and performers got more experienced.

Offline Axeman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Axemans 3D Homepage
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 05:24:23 AM »
As our foreign correspondent I have to say that I actually never noticed the difference.  I did not see the original airings, I had to get them all any way I could and in any order, so I never even noticed there were different people doing Crow.  Now that I've seen almost all the episodes (including several of the really lame KTMA years stuff i have to say that Bills Crow is my favourite, and that even in the Rifftrax I prefer the ones with Bills contributions in them.  Crow was the best robot and Bill the best robot performer.
www.axeman3d.com for all your poor-qaulity CGI model needs.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 09:08:43 AM »
Oh, yeah?  Welll... I though Josh Weinstein was the best Crow!  For that... one line he did in KTMA... that was... ummm... repeated ad nauseum for three or four episodes... you know, when Trace was out of town....  Actually, the clip kinda really sucked, but Josh was a good Crow, anyway!... I think....

Man, being a voice of dissent really sucks sometimes.

Offline Sinflux

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • Sinflux Clothing
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »
I wonder if there are any people out there who started watching during the Trace era that prefers Bill... I bet not.  And by the "Trace era", I don't mean 1 or 2 episodes either  :P

I really think it's all about what you learned to love first. At least that's my theory.

*raises hand*
Nicolas Cage is .... FU MANCHU!!

www.sinflux.com  Cool clothes for cool people *double thumbs up*

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • BEERx
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 09:19:35 AM »
*raises hand*

You need to go to the bathroom AGAIN?  ::)