login

Author Topic: Horror Movie a Day October 2017  (Read 3191 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Horror Movie a Day October 2017
« on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
It's that time of year again!  Challenge: 31 movies, 31 days.  For those who haven't done it before, these are the general rules:

1. Watching begins at midnight on October 1st, ends at midnight October 31st.  Use your own time zone to judge.  It is OK to finish a movie on the 31st if it runs over into the 1st, but a movie started on November 1st doesn't count.
2. Any movie that can reasonably be classified as horror or horror-themed counts.  The first Lucas Cruishank Fred movie does not count, as horrifying as it may be, but the Halloween-themed sequel would.  Yes, I know the general plots of these movies.  No, I have never watched either movie, and I am very glad that is the case.
3. Halloween TV specials DO count, and this year, I figure it would be a good rule change to say you don't have to watch two for it to count if they are half an hour long.  There are plenty of horror specials out there these days that are half hour and enjoying them on their merits is fine.
4. Frontloading does not count, but making up for lost time is perfectly acceptable.  You can't watch 3 movies on a Sunday and then miss Monday and Tuesday intentionally, but if you miss Sunday you can make up on Monday, or Tuesday, or even Wednesday.
5. Watching old favorites is fine, as is watching new stuff. Film franchises each do count as a separate movie if watched on a different day.  If you decide to watch the entire Nightmare, Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Saw franchises for the entire month, no one will stop you.  It might get a little repetitive, though.
6. Rules may be subjected to change, but most of all, just enjoy it.  The whole point is to have fun.
EDIT: Nearly forgot this one! 7. Watching a film that has MSTed, Rifftraxed, or covered by any other riffing group is not only acceptable, but encouraged.  This is the Rifftrax forum, after all.

Movie 1: The Void (2016)
Movie 2: Tales of Halloween (2015)
Movie 3: It Follows (2014)
Movie 4: Beyond the Gates (2015)
Movie 5: Dark and Stormy Night (2009)
Movie 6: From Beyond (1986)
Movie 7: Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Movie 8: Blood Moon (2014)
Movie 9: Lycanthrope (1999)
Movie 10: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Movie 11: Rifftrax: Swamp of the Ravens (1974/2013)
Movie 12: MST3K: Incredibly Strange Creature Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies (1964/1997)
Movie 13: Bottom Feeder (2007)
Movie 14: The Host (2006)
Movie 15: Invisible Ghost (1941)
Movie 16: Be Afraid (2017)
Movie 17: Revolt of the Zombies (1936)
Movie 18: Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Movie 19: When Animals Dream (2014)
Movie 20: Rifftrax: When a Stranger Calls Back (1993/2013)
Movie 21: Rifftrax: The Last Slumber Party (1988/2014)
Movie 22: Nightbreed: Director's Cut (1990/2014)
Movie 23: Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 28/Bob's Burgers Wolf of Wharf Street (2017)
Movie 24: Arachnophobia (1990)
Movie 25: Big Bad Wolf (2006)
Movie 26: Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
Movie 27: Hotel of the Damned (2016)
Movie 28: South Park: Sons of Witches (2017)
Movie 29: What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
Movie 30: Halloween II (1981) with bonus It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown)
Movie 31: Van Helsing (2004)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:31:11 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 853
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Horror Movie a Day October 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
We will see how far I get this time around. I always try to get it done but never seem to manage. Are we starting our own post and updating as we go?

1: Evil Dead 2
2: We're Still Here
3: Suspiria
4: Dead Alive
5: IT (2017)
6: Hills Have Eyes
7: SAW
8: NOTLD
9: ReAnimator
10: Brain Damage
11: Changling
12: Halloween
13: Friday the 13th: Part II
14: Devil's Rejects
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:23:35 AM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
And back. My personal ground rules for this: I can't watch anything that I've gotten credit for in the last, sigh, 7 years of this list. So if I go to see, say, Rifftrax Live's Night of the Living Dead, I don't get to list it since I've used it in 2013. But if I go see It again, that's cool since it's not in any list. Again, that's just what I'm doing for my own entertainment. Here goes:

1) Oct 1: Death Note (2017)* (Magic death-dealing notebook)
2) Oct 2: Most Likely to Die (2016)* (Psycho)
3) Oct 3: 5harknado: Global Swarming* (2017) (Sharks)
4) Oct 4: Cult of Chucky* (2017) (Mass produced doll possessed by a serial killer)
5) Oct 5: 13 Daemons* (2016) (Evil role playing game)
6) Oct 6: Don't Kill It* (2017) (Demon)
7) Oct 7: Dethgasm* (2016) (Rock and Roll Demons)
8  Oct 8: New Year's Evil* (1980) (Psycho)
9) Oct 8: Ghosts of Darkness* (2017) (Ghosties)
10) Oct 9: Blair Witch* (2016) (In the title)
11) Oct 10: Rifftrax Live: Plan 9 from Outer Space (2009) (Aliens raising the dead)
12) Oct 11: Little Evil* (2017) (Antichrist)
13) Oct 12: The ABCs of Death 2 * (2014) (Anthology)
14) Oct 13: El Bar* (2017) (Virus, and humans) (En Espanol!)
15) Oct 14: Beyond the Gates* (2016) (Evil VCR game)
16) Oct 15: Jurrassic Shark* (2012)
17) Oct 16: The Horror at 37,000 Feet* (1973) (A haunted plane)
18) Oct 17: Revenge of the Creature (1955) (Gillman)
19) Oct 18: The Savage Bees* (1973) (Bees)
20) Oct 19: Panic at Lakewood Manor* (1977) (Ants)
21) Oct 20: Nightbeasts* (2010) (Sasquaches)
22) Oct 21: Dark Dungeons (2014) (Dungeons & Dragons)
23) Oct 22: Ice Shark* (2016) (Sharks. Under the arctic ice)
24) Oct 23: Terror Out of the Sky* (1978) (Bees. Again)
25) Oct 24: Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell* (1987) (None. It's a collection of trailers of Horror films)
26) Oct 25: Tag* (2015) (Honestly, I'm not sure how to describe it. The wind, I guess?)
27) Oct 26: Zombeavers* (2014) (Zombie Beavers)
28) Oct 27: Rifftrax: Mind Ripper* (2017) (A Mind ripper)
29) Oct 28: 13 Ghosts* (1960) (Ghosts)
30) Oct 29: The Minion* (1999) (Antichrist)
31) Oct 30: Tsunambee* (2015) (Bees. Kinda)
32) Oct 31: Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Beast of Hollow Mountain (2016) (Dinosaurs!)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:42:33 PM by Compound »

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »
1. The Void (2016): Viewable on Netflix
What originally appears to be a simple case of a drunken man stumbling in front of a police car ends up becoming a nightmare as the cop, the man, and the skeleton crew at a local hospital get wrapped up in a darker, deeper evil waiting to be unleashed.

The less I say about the movie, the better.  I certainly enjoyed it, as well as its almost total reliance on practical effects (there are maybe two or three digital effects shots, nothing gore-related), though you can tell it was a crowdfunded project (the acting isn't to par, some of the effects a little TOO rubbery).  In fact, I don't remember how I heard about this originally, just that I stumbled across the project awhile ago by accident clicking around online, and was happy to see it made it to Netflix.
For those who don't mind spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Considering how "new horror movies on Netflix" fare goes, I am hopeful it is a good sign of things to come.  However, this morning I watched the opening credits of the next movie, and I'm a little concerned on how THAT will go...

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
Does it count if it terrifies me, even if the movie is not traditionally considered "horror"?  I am here specifically thinking of the movie Goodfellas.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3463
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I always wish you guys would post about this a week before it starts. Because we're a day ahead, (and because Halloween isn't a big thing here) I never remember about it until I'm already at least a day behind, and then I don't participate :P
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »
Does it count if it terrifies me, even if the movie is not traditionally considered "horror"?  I am here specifically thinking of the movie Goodfellas.

Up to you, Muppet. The forum police aren't going to stop you. There's not really any goal here other than to do it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:51:08 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
Reviews:

Death Note (2017, Netflix version)
A Seattle teen is given a notebook which allows him to kill others with the stroke of the pen...

Well, despite the protestations of every anime fan on Twitter, this wasn't bad. Granted, I'm not a big fan of the anime so I wasn't really weighing it against that. (And I've seen the Japanese live action version which was... special.) So, I'm not really sure why the anime fans were miffed. Because it's in Seattle? Because Misa wasn't all Gothy? Because there was no INTENSE. CHIP. EATING. ACTION!? Because Ryuk looks... not very good? (To be fair, they do try and keep him in the shadows most of the time. He looked better in the JP version with older CGI SFX) Because the ending wasn't Light dying like a little whiny jerk? Which, to be fair, is a highlight or the series. It's not a masterpiece, but it's watchable as its own thing. Caveat, I'm on this site. I have lower standards than the rest of the world. I'll watch Ghosthouse and think "Well, that wasn't too bad."

Most Likely to Die
At a get together for their 10 year class reunion, a group of friends is hunted by someone who may be connected to their past actions in high school...

A fairly standard psycho film, with a few variations. One, Jake Busey is in this and dear lord, he looks more and more and more like his dad every time I see him. Two, Perez Hilton is in this. I might have skipped this had I known that. Thirdly, oh dear lord. Someone has a gun in a slasher film. And uses the damn thing. It doesn't really work, but damn it, I appreciate the attempt.  Anyway, it's a serviceable slasher film, but there's nothing really amazing about it. Nor is there really a reason to watch this over, say, Terror Train, Class Reunion or any of a dozen other slasher films with the same theme.

5harknado: Global Swarming
All across the Earth, tornadoes filled with sharks ravage the world.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that the Sharknado films might be a wee bit silly.

Anyway, when one of your best acting performances comes from Chris Kattan, your film might be in trouble. Anyway, I liked 4. It was silly but a bit fun. This one? Oy. Where to begin? The guest "stars" are getting more and more tenuous as stars. (And a high number of examples of "I've had too much plastic surgery.") Blatant product placement for Comcast in a "Wayne's World was more subtle" way. And a ridiculous plot twist spotted a half hour away. Seriously, when I start saying out loud "They're going to time travel, aren't they?" and they end up going that route, yeah, your little shark-filled tornado film might want to throttle it back on the silliness scale.

Offline 4eyedraven

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 05:16:44 AM »
Oct 1-3 Mr Mercedes TV series. Brutal. These horror shows are just getting too good.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
I always wish you guys would post about this a week before it starts. Because we're a day ahead, (and because Halloween isn't a big thing here) I never remember about it until I'm already at least a day behind, and then I don't participate :P

You should set a reminder on your calendar.  You can set those years in advance.  I already have a reminder for early 2024 to book lodging for the 2024 solar eclipse.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 06:26:26 AM »
Reviews:

Death Note (2017, Netflix version)
A Seattle teen is given a notebook which allows him to kill others with the stroke of the pen...

I had heard of Death Note, but I always assumed it had to do with music.

5harknado: Global Swarming
All across the Earth, tornadoes filled with sharks ravage the world.

You know, I've come to the conclusion that the Sharknado films might be a wee bit silly.

Anyway, when one of your best acting performances comes from Chris Kattan, your film might be in trouble. Anyway, I liked 4. It was silly but a bit fun. This one? Oy. Where to begin? The guest "stars" are getting more and more tenuous as stars. (And a high number of examples of "I've had too much plastic surgery.") Blatant product placement for Comcast in a "Wayne's World was more subtle" way. And a ridiculous plot twist spotted a half hour away. Seriously, when I start saying out loud "They're going to time travel, aren't they?" and they end up going that route, yeah, your little shark-filled tornado film might want to throttle it back on the silliness scale.

Are they STILL making those movies?  You say it's the 4th one?  Their status as "campy, silly fun" was tenuous from the get go, but now they're just getting tiresome.  Rifftrax doing Sharknado twice pissed me off a lot.  Was there seriously time travel?

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
Movie 2: Tales of Halloween (2015) viewed via Netflix
To be fair, the full title is "The October Society's Tales of Halloween."  And yes, it's yet another in the long line of horror-themed anthologies.  Compared to most, it's actually decent, but certainly aims along the 'campier' side of things.  While V/H/S 2 wins the crown with the best overall (post 2000, anyway) segment with the cult, this one probably is the most coherent and cohesive.  It's wraparound narrative is surprisingly simple and fits the theme: a town experiences the craziest Halloween, with ten stories by different directors (crammed into 90 minutes, which is shocking considering most are two hours or more).  Here is the rundown (this is why it took so long to post a review, there are ten stories and I wanted to make sure I got them titled correctly):

Sweet Tooth: A boy hears a tale of a nasty, candy-loving monster from his older sister and her boyfriend.  And of course, the monster is all fake...right?  This one has been done before, but it's a decent enough version of this kind of story.
The Night Billy Raised Hell: The titular Billy fails at pulling a prank on his weird neighbor, who promises a night of pranking he'll never forget.  One, this one is definitely played for laughs, and...holy crap, that's Barry Bostwick?  Anyway, fun story, and directed by Darren Lyn Bousman, which is kind of surprising.
Trick: Four thirtysomethings find themselves terrorized by trick or treating children, but it's the reason why that is the most chilling.  Decent story, but saying much more than that would spoil it.
Grim Grinning Ghost: Another story of a ghost at Halloween, which may be more true than originally thought.  Almost exactly the same thing as Sweet Tooth, but more slow burn horror, and nowhere near as good.  Oh, but the bigger thing is the cast: look for Lin Shaye, Lisa Marie, Barbara Crampton, and Stuart Gordon in bit parts.
Ding Dong: A weird spin on Hansel and Gretel, where a henpecked husband watches in terror as his possessed wife grows ever closer to doing something nasty as children keep coming to the door for candy.  Definitely more of a "What the hell is going on?" story than the rest, and definitely one of the weakest of the bunch.
The Weak and the Wicked: A kid dressed as some sort of hellish avenger saves a kid from being bullied, but ends up targeted by the bullies himself.  But he has a trick or two up his sleeve.  Decent tale, but funny in that the lead is Keir Gilchrist, from It Follows, my third movie of the month.
This Means War: And now Dana Gould, too?  Anyway, a neighborhood Halloween buff sees his neighbors put up a more impressive (and louder) Halloween display than his.  Kerfuffles ensue.  Played for laughs, an enjoyable segment without a supernatural component.
Friday the 31st: A Jason-alike finds himself facing something even weirder than he is.  Another "What the hell?" segment, but hilarious in its over-the-top gore and ridiculousness.  One of the better segments of the whole thing.  Neil Marshall plays one of the corpses, if you catch him.
The Ransom of Rusty Rex: Kidnappers...oh, come on, Sam Witwer, Jose Pablo Cantillo AND John Landis?  This thing is half cameo shout-outs.  OK, kidnappers grab the child of famed millionaire Jebediah Rex, only to get confused when he is happy NOT paying any ransom.  Another played for laughs almost exclusively, and it works.  Enjoyable segment.
Bad Seed: Neil Marshall heads up the final segment, which serves as both a wrap-up AND a standalone, as a world-weary cop who must deal with a killer pumpkin.  Yes, it goes exactly as you might expect.  Drew Struzan has a cameo as a crappy sketch artist, which should delight fans of his work.

Overall, yeah, an anthology usually lives and dies on the strength of its segments, but this one holds up to a repeat viewing.  The stories are coherently told in the time frame they have, and are linked together pretty well.  Oh, and for some reason Adrienne Barbeau introduces most of the segments (not all, for some reason) as the Town DJ...yes, she kind of reprises her role from The Fog, but other than the horror theme, there's no reason as to why.  Not bad, not great, but probably overall one of the more rewatchable anthologies.

Offline 4eyedraven

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
V/H/S 2 is one jump-scare after another right? That one is harsh.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »

Are they STILL making those movies?  You say it's the 4th one?  Their status as "campy, silly fun" was tenuous from the get go, but now they're just getting tiresome.  Rifftrax doing Sharknado twice pissed me off a lot.  Was there seriously time travel?

No, no. I liked the 4th one. It didn't take itself seriously, but in a good way. This is number 5. It did take itself seriously. And the ending, yes with time travel, sets up number 6.

Offline 4eyedraven

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
Oct 4-5 Calvaire (ordeal)

Demented rural village in France where the women have all gone.  The men are left to mate with farm animals. A male singer is stranded in the village, they dress him up like a woman and they fight over who gets to marry him. They make him the town whore. He finally runs away through the swamp but the viewer is left to wonder if he actually decides to go back to the village because he was loved.

The best scene was the bar where the men dance with each other. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owrlQlLExY

The direction was amazing. Look at this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BLBHUcBVCk