Author Topic: The Orville (2017)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 623
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: The Orville (2017)
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
I'm a little curious what was accomplished by saving the aliens from the exploding star.  There's only 30 of them left.  That's not nearly enough genetic diversity.  Their race is doomed.

Really? 

Probably. Genetic diversity is a factor, but another issue is what % of those people are female and capable of reproduction. If there were 29 women and 1 man left, they might have a chance. If it's 29 males and 1 female, they are royally screwed. A species growth rate is directly proportional to the number of females capable of reproduction. That's the definition of "female"     

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2487
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »
I'm a little curious what was accomplished by saving the aliens from the exploding star.  There's only 30 of them left.  That's not nearly enough genetic diversity.  Their race is doomed.

Really? 

Probably. Genetic diversity is a factor, but another issue is what % of those people are female and capable of reproduction. If there were 29 women and 1 man left, they might have a chance. If it's 29 males and 1 female, they are royally screwed. A species growth rate is directly proportional to the number of females capable of reproduction. That's the definition "female"   

I guess they shouldn't have bothered to save anyone then...

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 86
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »
Well, like I said before. Today? No, but that show is set so far in the future that their technology may as well be magic to us. They're just really good at making it sound plausible.

Trek used to be good at that. Then that supernova shit happened...
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »
It's such a let down when sarcasm fails to land. 

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
Does anyone have any idea why Halston Sage left? I've looked but I can't find an explanation. She seemed like she was really into it last year.

On a completely unrelated note, holy shit, they really upped their game in the digital effects department. When they're flying over Xeleya and Gordon says this the most beautiful planet in the Union. Yeah no kidding. I want to live there! (minus the spine crushing gravity). Especially for a TV show, that was amazingly well done. And the planet breaking up, also amazing.

Here's another unrelated question. So they have warp engines, replicators, holodecks, tractor beams...but no Transporter? Which is odd because the original reason why Star Trek had Transporters was so they could save money by not having to show shuttles taking off or landing. You'd think that the saving money idea would be the first thing they repurpose from ST.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
Does anyone have any idea why Halston Sage left? I've looked but I can't find an explanation. She seemed like she was really into it last year.

Only thing I could find is a scheduling conflict, she wanted to do a movie that was shooting at the same time that the Orville was shooting.  That movie is in post production now.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »
It's been a pretty disappointing season so far, IMO. Most of the stories have been character-driven, instead of having some thought-provoking external threat to deal with. The ad for the fourth episode looks interesting, though.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3615
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
Haven't seen any of Season 1 yet so I ordered it on DVD from China..
It sounds like it's better than Star Trek Discovery but if it doesn't hold my interest, I can always re-sell it for what I paid for it :-\

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2019, 03:52:02 AM »
Episode 6 ("A Happy Refrain") did the human-robot relationship story well, but I get annoyed when sci-fi shows devolve into soap operas that are more concerned with character relationships than actual story. I prefer sci-fi that explores contemporary issues put into different context or "what if" scenarios.

Plus, I miss Alara.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
I also miss Alara, last weeks episode gave her replacement more screen time and she did quite well.

In fact she was the best part of the mediocre episode, going to Moclan again for a bonk on the head social message is getting old.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
We all miss Alara. She was my favorite character.

And I too am getting tired of all the "soap opera" type stuff this season. I don't need to hear more about Bortis's relationships or Claire having sex with Isaac.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6726
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2019, 12:27:48 AM »
why didn't they take a shutt--oh. oh, i see. that's just bad writing.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »
why didn't they take a shutt--oh. oh, i see. that's just bad writing.
Yeah, I was thinking that too.

It's funny, I was wondering just a couple days ago... way back in the pilot Mercer asks Isaac "Aren't you guys, like, super racist? Why are you even here?" When are they going to get back to that? I guess I got my answer.

I expect they'll pull a "Best of Both Worlds" and either Isaac will hack the AI or the Union will hack the AI through Isaac and get them to shut down or change their minds. I don't recall them ever suggesting the Kaylon were really a hive-mind before this, but that's certainly the impression I got. This also reminded me a lot of that one Voyager episode with the sentient robots that were eternally at war with each other because they exterminated their Builders when they tried to make peace, and then just kept fighting.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »
Great space battle, but the story was so predictable.

It was good but no real surprises.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Thought this latest one was very good, similar to the TNG episode "The Wounded".  fairly serious episode, not much comedy, they didn't telegraph the twists as much as the previous episode.  Might be the best episode of The Orville so far.