Author Topic: The Orville (2017)  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 12
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: The Orville (2017)
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
Last episode of Orville with Charlize Theron reminded me of the Next Gen episode "A Matter of Time" which was intentional I think.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »

Oh, and Charlize Theron as the guest star, and directed by Jonathan Frakes.  Didn't take long to get some big names on the show....

Liam Neeson had a cameo in the last episode.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7823
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
Reminded me of the movie Millennium.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2177
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Reminded me of the movie Millennium.

Yeah, there were similarities to that.  All the episodes so far have had their basic premise the same as some previous show or movie.

I have to wonder if the idea for this series was originally a straight up parody of all old science fiction shows and movies, but then they decided to make it more serious but still used the same basic story ideas? 

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 50
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
I don't think its that much like Millennium. The most i remember about that movie was the future was a hell hole. And they weren't stealing artifacts as much they were steeling people. Because the earth was so damn polluted that nobody could reproduce. Maybe the basic concepts the same. But the execution is completely different.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7823
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
The germ of the idea is the same: find "doomed" things, go back and steal them.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
Wow, episode 6 was very good, real tension, Seth pretty close to some real acting ability, scary bad guys...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3005
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
"Children, cut the crap right now. I swear to God, if I have to come back there one more time,  I'm going to loose my mind"

The fact that it was Isaac saying it was just hilarious.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
Yeah, the show just keeps getting better.

Great straight up survival episode, just the right amount of humor, actual character development for Isaac.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
"Into the Fold" is the best and most Trek feeling of the series thus far.  Penny Johnson Jerald the actress who plays the doctor really did an outstanding job.  Not even MacFarlane's lame jokes could ruin it.  I do like Norm Macdonald as a gelatinous alien blob though.

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
Need a
"Into the Fold" is the best and most Trek feeling of the series thus far.  Penny Johnson Jerald the actress who plays the doctor really did an outstanding job.  Not even MacFarlane's lame jokes could ruin it.  I do like Norm Macdonald as a gelatinous alien blob though.
  Need a episode about what gelatinous alien blob is doing on the Orville.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3005
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
Make It SOrville!!

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
Need a
  Need a episode about what gelatinous alien blob is doing on the Orville.

Well tonight's episode isn't about Yaphet alone, but he does have considerably more screen time than what we've seen before. And we know he works in engineering, where his ability to get into spaces no one else can is indispensable.

I thought this was a great, character driven full ensemble episode. My only complaint is that we never did get to hear Bortis sing  :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »
This has been bothering me about the last episode:

So once a year the blue guy knows he has that effect on people, but doesn't wear gloves or avoid touching people? The people he infected didn't give their consent, so he is a rapist, he is basically drugging people so they have sex with him. His attitude is that people have a good time for a few days and it's fine? And no one calls him on that?