Author Topic: The Orville (2017)  (Read 419 times)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
The Orville (2017)
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »
This new show is catching my attention :o
The Orville is set to capitalize on disgruntled Star Trek fans
https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/08/31/star-trek-orville-disgruntled/

Online Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
Re: The Orville (2017)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
It's from Seth Macfarlane, and if you know how I feel about Family guy, you can just imagine how I feel about this particular series.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
I am looking forward to this way more than Discovery, I'm not signing up for the streaming service, especially since I don't like anything I've seen from Discovery so far.   Well, I don't like it as Star Trek, but it might be an OK science fiction show, so if it comes out on bluray in a year or 2 I might pick it up.

I thought the comedy in the trailer was better than his animated stuff, and if it's true that the trailer does have most of the jokes in the first hour that leaves a lot of time for more drama, so maybe he really has produced an homage to Star Trek instead of a parody.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:47:59 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:27:00 AM »
Definitely more interested in this than Discovery, planning to check it out.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
I guess as first episodes go it was OK.

Can't say it was good, just OK.

Here's hoping it gets more interesting as it goes along.

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
I'm worried it'll just be A Million Ways to Die in the West IN SPACE!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:32:24 PM »
It is watchable and doesn't induce cringing, but that's damning with the faintest of praise.

The comedy isn't very funny. The science fiction isn't very interesting. Even with those failures, it didn't balance either very well. Both as a comedy and a science fiction story, it is almost implausibly generic. Like what a character in a fictional TV show would point to as a generic science fiction TV show. And a character's story starting with finding his wife in bed with someone else is extremely tired.

Tonally it is bizarre, if only in how dull it is. The special effects also didn't justify the glory shot of the ship with no punchline or pay-off. The must have though things were going to look a lot better in post, instead of "at least its not Babylon 5" CG effects.

Storywise, it wasn't that great either. The act breaks were also bizarre in how limp they are. Usually, that's a good time for a twist but instead it comes down to "Oh, no, someone got the drop on our heroes with the gun." The way the characters used the time device is serviceable, but I would have preferred if maybe they either were presented as more of fuck-ups at first, used the time speed up device on themselves, giving themselves the time to get their act together to defeat the faux Romulans. Or they shoot it at the planet and the planet is given 100 years in a few seconds to exceed their technology so that they can help defeat the baddies... only for our heroes to find that there's been a lot of political and societal change in what was once an R & D outpost and now they are a full country looking for independence. But I suppose that's just me.

I could see this as a show that becomes good down the line, when it finally decides what the heck it wants to be. So maybe I'll check back if it makes some "American Dad"-style course correction sometime in the future. For now it seems like a shrug of a show.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
And a character's story starting with finding his wife in bed with someone else is extremely tired.

Since you don't know the characters at all yet, and Seth not having the greatest acting skills, that scene has no emotional punch to it.  There is a scene later on where he talks to his friend about finding his wife in bed with that guy, and it's a better scene.  So they broke the TV/movie concept of show it or talk about it, don't do both, they should have scrapped that opening scene and used that screen time elsewhere.

Tonally it is bizarre, if only in how dull it is.

Yeah, the first half was very dull, got better once they started the mission.

Now that all the setup is out of the way maybe future episodes will be more like the second half of the pilot.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 05:15:25 AM »
Early reviews say the third episode is the best so far.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »

Now that all the setup is out of the way maybe future episodes will be more like the second half of the pilot.

The second half is definitely better but even then its still struggling to be good.  Again, I'm hopeful that it will learn to be funny, be smart and surprise us.  Heck, American Dad, as I mentioned earlier, was good with all of that sometime in the third season and a lot of the episodes were really good science fiction stories ("The Vacation Goo" was the episode that really made me stand up and take notice, with a clever take on virtual reality).  And I also like that for the most part (certainly compared to other Seth shows), its actually kind of a PG sitcom.  There's not a lot of that these days (outside of great shows aimed at kids that happen to get a huge grown-up audience), so if the show pulls it off eventually, I'll be happy.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

The second half is definitely better but even then its still struggling to be good.  Again, I'm hopeful that it will learn to be funny, be smart and surprise us.  Heck, American Dad, as I mentioned earlier, was good with all of that sometime in the third season and a lot of the episodes were really good science fiction stories ("The Vacation Goo" was the episode that really made me stand up and take notice, with a clever take on virtual reality).  And I also like that for the most part (certainly compared to other Seth shows), its actually kind of a PG sitcom.  There's not a lot of that these days (outside of great shows aimed at kids that happen to get a huge grown-up audience), so if the show pulls it off eventually, I'll be happy.

Yes, it will have to improve on several levels, most importantly character development, right now they are not very interesting.  At least one needs to stand out, I slogged through a lot of Voyager just to see if the Doctor had a good scene, so all it takes is one.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
The first episode is a lot better than the average 1st season episode of ST.TNG. That season most of the episodes were 45 minutes of characters complaining about something, then maybe ten minutes of actual adventure before the wrap up and ending credits. It did not get any better until the Borg showed up.

Since this was supposed to be a comedy, once the characters are fleshed out or dropped then the humor will improve, just like on regular sitcoms. Also, this episode only left time for half an adventure, not a full episode adventure. So there will definitely be improvement. The question is will FOX keep the show on long enough to improve and then find an audience

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
According to IMDB the 5th episode is directed by Jonathan Frakes, it usually takes a handful of episodes to get a cast settled, so I think the 5th episode will be telling.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »
I laughed really hard at the dog licking its balls. It would've been far funnier without the call-out by the cast, but even that got a chuckle from me.

I enjoyed the shit out of it. It's mostly fueled by nostalgia, but that's OK.  Felt like a cross between TNG and Buck Rogers.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 03:28:29 AM »
Erica and i have labeled it "Star Trek where the characters react like normal people." At least that's the human characters. So far, that's interesting enough for us to keep going.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing