Author Topic: Live show  (Read 4623 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Live show
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
Waiting for the show to start. They're not showing the preshow. Just silence. Haven't seen a show this packed in a long time.

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
Re: Live show
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
Psst. I know I would never get there...but if someone has been there, can he or she put down the link for the digital goodies for this show?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
Had the pre-show stuff in the theater we were at. Not a Doctor Who fan at all-only ones I've sat all the way through before were the 2 previous Doctor Rifftrax movies. But needed a laugh and glad I went as it was very funny-liked it more than the summer shorts show. First one with technical difficulties though. Guys apparently couldn't see the short for about the first minute so few riffs and a few where the timing was way off until their monitor problem was fixed.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
Also noticed Kevin laughing more and longer doing this one than on previous live shows.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »
Wow. I'm not a Dr Who fan but this was the best live show of the year and one of their best shows period. I'm really glad I went.

The short was great even with the tech difficulties. Was it picture or sound? Bill kept saying we need the movie in our monitors. I thought they weren't hearing it. But it didn't ruin it at all. A great short and if I could find it I would use the kid's legs on fire as my new avatar here.

So many memorable riffs. The cyber guy missing his cue. The hose stealing. A decent crowd at my show and people recalling riffs at they lingered in the theater hallways. The movie was about twenty minutes too long but that's the way it goes.

Loved it!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:48:18 PM by losingmydignity »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
Also noticed Kevin laughing more and longer doing this one than on previous live shows.

I noticed this too. I expect a lot of callback riffs in future trax.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
Even with the technical difficulties the short was great.

Some really great riffs during The 5 Doctors.

So weird seeing classic Dr Who on the big screen.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 166
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
I wasn't a Whovian before this show and after seeing this event, I definitely am not one now! I dozed off during the movie, it was really hard to keep my attention, too bad they won't be releasing a VOD, but let's hope they can release an MP3 of it! After all, Mothra will get an MP3, so this one should too!

EDIT: There were so many great riffs in this one, but my favorite would have to be the Sanford & Son reference: "I'm comin', Elizabeth!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:19:12 PM by Iron Curtain »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Good show. Lots of laughs. I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, and after watching this I don't think I know any more, but the jokes all landed nicely none-the-less.

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
  • Electro-Syntho-Magnetic
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
I *am* a Whovian and I loved it.  Five Doctors is legendarily dumb and dull, and they gave every goofy thing the quality riffing it deserved.

And as a Who fan, one thing I clearly noticed was that they were careful to make fun of every stupid thing on-screen, but they didn't belittle the franchise as a whole.  They only mocked *this specific story.*  I really appreciated that, as past Rifftrax on major franchises have had a tendency to make you feel like a moron for liking the franchise in question.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
I had a great time at the show. One of the best by Rifftrax. I really want this to get a release, even if it's just a MP3.

I think  I laughed the hardest at the confused Cyberman. The timing on that joke is so perfect! There's just enough time for them to say the joke and people to laugh at the implication that is happening, and THEN he goes back, making it even funnier.

Am I the only one that was waiting for Tegan to eventually rip into the First Doctor? He really was an asshole through the whole thing, especially to her. I don't know anything about her character on the show, but with her punk hairdo and 80s style, she seemed like a character that wouldn't put up with that kind of shit.

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
Tegan typically mouths off at the Doctor at every opportunity.  Her passiveness in this story is just one of the many reasons it's kinda rubbish.

Offline Mysteryman

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »
The movie was about twenty minutes too long but that's the way it goes.

That was actually the extended version of The Five Doctors, and like many extended versions, it mainly just shows you why those parts were cut in the first place.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
My experience with Doctor Who is pretty limited, but are the companions normally this useless? I know with multiple Doctors it allows them to do the things the show normally need multiple people for, but this was particularly embarrassing. Literally the only thing they do, the one guy suckerpunches The Master, and two of them tie him up while unconscious.

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
Companions are definitely more active, in general.  To be clear: The Five Doctors is not good, not even for Doctor Who, nor thought of particularly well outside of the novelty or nostalgia.