login

Author Topic: Top 50 NES Games Countdown (LoC #104)  (Read 6382 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3816
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Top 50 NES Games Countdown (LoC #104)
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

(29 Points) 2 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 Kullervo
Skill Level - Difficult

Genre
Sports

Release Date
JP: July 26, 1988
NA: June 1989

You are a high school delinquent.  You and your friends do have one skill in particular: dodgeball.  You must play dodgeball.  A spin-off from Japan's popular Kunio-kun series, this features the characters travelling the world dodgeball tournament long before Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller went to the nationals.

Basically, you must beat up the opposing players with a volley ball and attempt to catch it when it is thrown at you.  Easy as that.

Trivia The original name of the game, when translated from Japanese, is Hot-Blooded High School Dodgeball Club

Legacy  One of the earlier combination of fighting action and sports in a game.  It was remade many times and had several sequels.

Commercial Break
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nJUxzBIa-fU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nJUxzBIa-fU</a>
That one's actually for the Super Nintendo version, but whatevers.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
(30Points) 2 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #3 Kullervo
You Released This Room

Genre
Puzzle Action Platformer

Release Date
JP: July 30, 1986
NA: July 1987
EU: March 30, 1990
You are Dana, an adventurer.  Demons have accidentally been released upon the world and it is up to you to figure out how to put them all back and restore light into the world.  To do this, you need to fight and think yourself through a series of puzzle-like rooms. You must make your way through 50 rooms, many of them themed around the Zodiac.

The game incorporates elements of the platform shooter genre. Dana can run, jump, create or destroy orange blocks adjacent to him as well as create fireballs to destroy demons. The orange blocks can also be destroyed by hitting them with the character's head twice. Along the way Dana can acquire items to upgrade his firepower and extra lives as well as items that award bonus points and unlock hidden rooms. With certain items, Dana must make, then break blocks (sometimes in a certain manner) to make these appear.

Trivia Bomb Jack, from the video game of the same name, makes a cameo appearance.

Legacy  An early game to combine puzzle and action.

Commercial Break
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g8fX4IdPb0E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g8fX4IdPb0E</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
Never heard of this one either :o

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2171
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
I have also never played Zelda II (which is fairly divisive), though I did play Adventure Time: Hey, Ice King, Why Are You Stealing Our Garbage?, which is heavily inspired by it and it was... OK.

Zelda II is a brilliant game, but it's hard to penetrate. I was able to figure it out back in the day, and I still know it (Though I've never quite beat it. There's a kind of gauntlet before the last level that is particularly frustrating.) There's never been another game anything like it (Other than Hey, Ice King!, which is pure homage.). If I were going in blind, I don't know if I'd have the patience today to figure it all out. There was something about being a kid in the '80s with nothing better to do and no better games to play that made me really forgiving toward a lot of old NES games. It's definitely a bad game by today's standards. The hints are poorly translated and therefore cryptic, Link's sword has frustratingly little reach, and fighting those shield guys takes WAY longer than it should, but when you have the knack and you're questing and unlocking spells and the world is unraveling before you, it's an awesome experience.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
(31 Points) 3 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #5 George 2.0
Amazing Paperboy Delivers

Genre
Action, Below Minimum Wage Job Simulator

Release Date

You are a paperboy.  You have  job to do; deliver those papers!  But you are in a hurry so NEVER, EVER get off your bike.  Hey, is some jerk not subscribing to your paper?  Hurl some old grey ladies through their windows and those dumb-dumbs will get the message: mess with the local paperboy and he'll ruin your life!  Dog following you?  Through a paper in his mouth so he'll leave you alone.  You can easily use newspapers to fight crime.  It's a seven day a week job, but I think you can do it!

Each game of Paperboy lasts one week, with each level being a day of the week.  At the end of some levels, you might even find some bonus extra challenges, but if your bike hits something, you lose a life.

Trivia Along with Hyper Sports, Paperboy formed one of the computer game rounds in a children's television quiz, "First Class", shown on BBC Television in the 1980s.

Legacy  Paperboy is a very unique game, even in the weird world of video games, as it took a normal job for kids and added some fun absurdist humour.  Certainly not the first video game to add humour but with improving graphics it did an even better job mixing the humour with the gameplay.

Commercial Break
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RyozUYtBl_o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RyozUYtBl_o</a>

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
Never owned this one but I added this one to my list because of the arcade version I had fun with back in the 80s :o

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
(32 Points) 3 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #13 Charles Covfefe Castle and Stethacantus
Tales of Dreams and Imagination
Genre
Action role-playing

Release Date
July 18, 1989

You are Willow, from the movie Willow.  You travel alone through a fantasy world because the game developers forgot the movie had Val Kilmer in it.  You must protect a small baby and defeat an evil witch.  You can level up Willow throughout the game and it's basically a lot like Zelda, but you have to use a password to save your game.

Trivia In a 2014 interview with Famitsu, Shinji Mikami noted that when he joined Capcom in 1990, all of those who were accepted into the company got a free copy of the game.

Legacy  It was one of Capcom's first forays into liscenced gaming.

Commercial Break

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 327
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
You are Link, an elf-like adventurer who has discovered that Princess Zelda has been put under a mysterious sleeping spell.  But not that Princess Zelda.  A different one.  It turns out that every Princess in Hyrule is named Zelda due to a prince.  Long ago he tried to acquire the Triforce, a magical treasure, but his scheme resulted in his beloved sister in an eternal slumber, so then he decreed all Princesses should be named Zelda.  In legend, it was called the stupidest decree ever.

Is this actually true, or did you just make that up?

Offline CJones

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
I got my copy of Dragon Warrior through the most insane incentive Nintendo Power ever offered. Subscribe for 19 bucks and they sent you the game, which was worth $50 at the time. Made me a subscriber for life.

That's how I got my copy. Nintendo grossly overestimated how many Americans would actually want to play the most boring RPG ever. So they just started just giving them away.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 41
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
Digging the countdown! Didn't know that Turtles game won an EGM award that's cool, I was reading EGM a few years later though, and Nintendo Power. I didn't even know Willow had a game, I've heard of the Lord of the Rings SNES game though. Capcom and Konami were both on fire in those days.

Love Dragon Quest/Warrior, part XI just hit in Japan (for PS4 and 3DS), looks quite good too.

Offline CJones

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
Willow is actually surprisingly good. Didn't think to put it on my list, but I wish I had. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2171
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
I got my copy of Dragon Warrior through the most insane incentive Nintendo Power ever offered. Subscribe for 19 bucks and they sent you the game, which was worth $50 at the time. Made me a subscriber for life.

That's how I got my copy. Nintendo grossly overestimated how many Americans would actually want to play the most boring RPG ever. So they just started just giving them away.

I'd say basic rather than boring. It's a JRPG boiled down to its very elements. Level up, get better, go to where there's stronger things, repeat until you reach the head bad guy. Buy new gear and save a princess along the way.  The bad guys had neat character design (The slime has become iconic!) and the soundtrack's pretty awesome.

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
Yay Paperboy!

I always wondered what he did to piss off the grim reaper? Plus, tiny tornado! Tough rout.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:42:55 PM by George-2.0 »

Offline Charles Covfefe Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 373
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
I was the other vote on Super Dodge Ball. Among my group of friends it was seriously legendary. Many weekends were devoted to marathon tournaments. It's an extremely addictive game, made by a lot of the same minds behind the similarly addictive and legendary River City Ransom.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline linszoid

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
Willow is actually surprisingly good. Didn't think to put it on my list, but I wish I had.

I'm actually kind of surprised it made the list. I thought it was a fairly obscure title at release and it receives no modern buzz. It was definitely a decent game.

Also I strongly considered Super Dodge Ball for my list but it didn't make the cut. I do have some fond memories of playing with friends.