Author Topic: Top 50 NES Games Countdown (LoC #104)  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
Top 50 NES Games Countdown (LoC #104)
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:24:06 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vDFvkWY6tJU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vDFvkWY6tJU</a>
Here we are.  It was a long road, but we did it.  We tabulated the top 50 (well, 51 due to a tie) games for the Nintendo Entertainment System.  I don't think we could do a list like this for any other system except for, maybe, the SNES.  However, even the other Nintendo Systems wouldn't have a list like this on this board.  First of all, with the modern systems, there's very little exclusivity anymore, which is fine.  Nintendo is the only one who has kept it up.  And while I certainly wouldn't call Nintendo an underdog, the years following gave us consoles produced by companies that could actually compete with Nintendo.  That wasn't really the case in the days of the NES.  They were the big dogs and basically held the monopoly on the industry.

Interestingly, this became a double edged sword: on the one hand, Nintendo did engage in some questionable practices since the companies that wanted a Nintendo Game on the market weren't in a position to go against them.  There are some great books that go more in detail into practices but one of the problems involved them pitting companies against each other, especially since Nintendo limited their release schedule in a way that made companies have to fight for their game to get released and only so many would.  However, it also made Nintendo a lot better at quality control than their predecessors like Atari.  Not to say that Nintendo didn't have bad games, of course, but it had to reach at least a certain level to get the Nintendo go ahead.

The system lasted 10 years (if you are going by the North American release date.  If you are going by Japan's, then it was 12) before being discontinued, five year after its successor, the SNES burst onto the market.

From a design angle, it was great too, replacing the classic joystick with the d-pad and it made itself look more like a VCR, making it look less like a toy and more like part of one's entertainment center.

Nintendo was a friggin' juggernaut.  The Sega Master System did well for itself, but its weaker games library hurt it a lot.  Nintendo stood for quality.  Sega was given to kids by parents who were tricked or confused at the department store.  I got one first, and let me tell you, my parents, well-meaning though they were, made a dire mistake that wouldn't be corrected until the following Christmas.  Even the competition felt they had to mention they were better than Nintendo in their advetising, showing how large their shadow loomed.

Anyway, let's finally get into it, as we explore one of the most important and influential eras of video gaming.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Top 50 NES Games Countdown (LoC #104)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »
ERMAHGERD!! NERS CERNTDERN!! :highfive:

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Woo! Let's play with power!

Offline Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
yeah after this list we'll have to do top 50 SNES games. I'm totally down for that.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:46:01 AM »

(27 Points) 2 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #9 Kullervo
Destroy the Core!

Genre
Side-scrolling shooter.

Release Date
JP: April 25, 1986
NA: December 1986
EU: November 30, 1988

You are Vic Viper, a trans-dimensional spaceship pilot taking his ship into enemy territory.   Battling numerous alien villains and monsters, you begin with weak weapons but over the course of the game you can pick up new abilities and powers.  You must work your way past waves of enemies to defeat the boss and blow them up good.

The game began as a popular arcade game before moving to the NES, as well as PC.

Trivia It was originally released under the name Nemesis for international audiences, though it was eventually called Gladius in all markets.

Legacy Aside from being an incredibly well-received shooter, it helped popularize the use of "Power Meters" in video games, which could be filled up by collecting items.

Commercial Break
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I8PgqYZAf_Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I8PgqYZAf_Q</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
Ah yes, Gradius. Great game but it was wicked hard.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Never heard of it :o

Offline linszoid

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
I think I tended to leave the harder games off my list. In those days if you weren't good at a game then you had to play the first two levels over and over again.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »
Yay, Gradius! The game where death is a fate worse than death. What tended to happen is you would gradually build up power-ups, and the game would accommodate this, and you'd be dominating the game, but you'd slip up. Not only would you start over, but you lost every one of those power-ups. Now you were in the area that just killed you, only you're WAY weaker than you were the first time! Good luck prying your controller out from that hole in the wall.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
Yay, Gradius! The game where death is a fate worse than death. What tended to happen is you would gradually build up power-ups, and the game would accommodate this, and you'd be dominating the game, but you'd slip up. Not only would you start over, but you lost every one of those power-ups. Now you were in the area that just killed you, only you're WAY weaker than you were the first time! Good luck prying your controller out from that hole in the wall.
Sounds like the Game Genie would have really come in handy for this one 8)

Offline Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
Sounds like the Game Genie would have really come in handy for this one 8)
That depends, I don't know if there were any invincibility codes for Gradius.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
It did have the infamous Konami/Contra Code (2 years before Contra even came out, so it SHOULD be the Gradius code!). It would give your ship all of the power-ups with enough left over to choose either the laser or double-shot, depending on your preference. If I recall, it only worked once per game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:40:55 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline 4eyedraven

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
You can play this in your browser. 
http://emulator.online/nes/gradius/

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Enjoyed the history lesson in the intro and watched the commercial... I forgot about Hogan's Alley.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
#49a

(28 Points) 2 of 14 Lists - Highest Ranking - #7 RVR II
Congratulation

Genre
Scrolling Shooter

Release Date
JP: December 11, 1985

You are a World War II pilot.  Your plane is a Lockheed P-38 Lightning and your goal is to reach Tokyo to destroy the entire Japanese fleet.  To do so, you travel from aircraft carrier to aircraft carrier through the pacific theater, battling huge numbers of planes, including Kawasaki Ki-61s, Mitsubishi A6M Zeros and Kawasaki Ki-48s. 

You can gain power ups and even other planes to help you out.  In addition, you can perform a loop to evade enemy attacks.  The game began as a popular arcade game before moving to the NES.  It was also the first series of the 19XX game series, and spawned numerous sequels.

Trivia The Lockheed P-38 Lightning dubbed the "Super Ace" in the game. 

Legacy This game was Capcom's first major success.  Not only did it spawn a hit game series, it gave a huge boost to a company that had only minor successes before this game.  Capcom remains one of the biggest and most beloved game companies around.

Commercial Break