login

Author Topic: List of Crap #104: Top 50 NES Games  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3863
  • Now you're playing with power!
List of Crap #104: Top 50 NES Games
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cssV9F6JhbE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cssV9F6JhbE</a>
Video games had been around for a while when the Famicom (the Japanese version of the Nintendo Entertainment System) was released and Nintendo had existed even longer.  Nintendo has produced playing cards since way back in 1889 and in the 70's started focusing on electronic toys.  When they made the move to video games, it didn't take them long to dominate the market.  This is in no small part to, though certainly not exclusively, Shigeru Miyamoto, who was a young fan of the Beatles and Western TV.

Being extremely inspired by the game Space Invaders, he decided to become part of the video game industry (though he was already working in another department at Nintendo at the time).  An artist for the company, he originally designed the art for some coin operated games and helping with the tepidly received game Radar Scope before making a game of his own: Donkey Kong.  The game became a MASSIVE surprise hit and eventually inspired Nintendo to make its own game system: the Famicom (or Family Computer).  It wasn't long before it found success in an industry that seemed to be dead.  Soon, Nintendo became the taste maker and though not all of the games were good, the screening process for games was much higher in comparison of earlier game systems.

The Nintendo Entertainment System is the game system that meant the most to me.  Even a lot of people who didn't have it while growing up have experienced some of the classics and Nintendo's habit of utilizing nostalgia did a lot of work keeping these classics in the minds of the next generation, something a bit harder to do than other art forms due to its nature.  Interestingly, I didn't even get one until the Super Nintendo was the new hotness.  I still loved it, though, and it became my world a lot of the time.  It had an even more powerful pull on some of my friends.  I have an old friend who mentioned that his thoughts at school where entirely consumed by one of these games and he was merely waiting to get home and play it.  But he's always had issues with the education system anyway, so I don't think he sees it as a loss.

Now it is your turn to tell us about the games from this system that inspired you.  Keep in mind, this isn't just Nintendo games, this is games for the original Nintendo Entertainment System.  I mean, if you played it on an emulator or virtual console, that's not a problem.  But no Super Nintendo, Wii or Gameboy games (unless they were on both, of course).

HOW THIS WORKS:

Create a list of your favorite NES Game, each numbered from 1 to 25 like so:

1. Your favorite game.
2. Your second favorite game.
3. Your third most favorite game.
And so on until you get to #25.

Once the list is complete, send it to me via Personal Message, not via this thread.

When all submissions are in, I'll score them. Your #1 choice gets 25 points, your #2 choice gets 24, all the way down to your #25 choice, which gets 1. I add up the points, and then rank the characters in a list here in this forum for your enjoyment. Should you submit a list of less than 25 items, then your points are reduced accordingly. A list with only 5 songs only gets 5 points for the number one choice, so the more you can think of, the better.

Other rules
1) As said, it has to be for the NES specifically, not just any Nintendo branded game
2) Don't lump series in together.  You can't say "The Final Fantasy series".  If you do, only the first one is getting points.
3)  Peripherals don't count.  You can say "Duck Hunt" but you can't say "The Light Gun" or "The Power Glove"
4) Games that aren't games count.  I'm speaking specifically of the "game" Taboo, which is just electronic tarot card drawing.

The deadline is July 31st, 2017!
What are you waiting for?  JOIN THE NINTENDO FUN CLUB TODAY!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2195
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: List of Crap #104: Top 50 NES Games
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
I assume import games that weren't translated until much later are fair game.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2977
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
I submitted my list yesterday evening ;D
I own a total of 20 NES games and may buy more after this LoC is complete 8)

I may even post some of my own NES gaming videos as I see them get posted :o

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
Oh and my Game Genie still works nicely 8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2148
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
The only console I ever owned was an Atari 2600 (around '79 or '80), then switched to C64 and then PC games, so I'll be sitting this one out.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2195
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
This is gonna be one of those easy lists to fill, but hard lists to rank for me. Off the top of my head, I can think of 6 impeccable franchises that could almost fill a list just on their own. Some great games are gonna have to hit the cutting room floor just for the sake of diversity.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
I assume import games that weren't translated until much later are fair game.

Yep.

The only console I ever owned was an Atari 2600 (around '79 or '80), then switched to C64 and then PC games, so I'll be sitting this one out.

Sorry to hear that.  If you have ANY memories, remember, an incomplete list is perfectly fine by me.  Every little bit helps.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
When I saw this was winning the poll, I went right to the source, which was a list that Nintendo themselves published and gave as one of their freebies for subscribing to Nintendo Power Magazine.  Every Nintendo game released to that date. And since the list included N64 games, well after the last NES game was made. So,here's the thing. Including not just the NES games I have played, but ones my friends played while I watched, I came up with a list of exactly 25 games. So the list I am about to submit includes a lot of really sucky suck-suck games, many which were pulled from the NES and thrown against the wall in disgust in less than a half hours play.

Confession time. I never had my own NES system. My parents refused to get us systems like Atari or Colecovision because they didn't want the television being tied up, and probably knew we would be fighting over it non stop. By the time I had my first real job and could buy my own game system I instead used the money for a VCR, blank tapes,and VHS movies ( including about 100 bootleg martial arts films @ $10 a tape. ) When I finally decided it was time to buy my own game system, they had just released the Gameboy, and I got that one instead because the system and games were cheaper. From there I bought myself the Super Nintendo, Gameboy Color,N64, Super Gameboy, GameCube and that 3D system I think was called Virtualboy or something. ( It is deep somewhere in a closet, along with the only ten games ever released. ) So the only NES games I played were at the homes of friends.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
This is gonna be one of those easy lists to fill, but hard lists to rank for me.
Ditto. I just had to just randomly select several for what number they were going to be :-\

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
If I participated, it might be a crappy, uneducated, partial list filled with (potentially) stupid games that would make NES fans roll their eyes. You sure you'd want that?  ;)

I didn't know what this was until I looked it up, I recognized about 4 titles because my brother had the system. So I could ask my brother and his wife and kids to throw some names at me, since they did have a lot of these.

But this is a subject where I'd be fumbling about in the dark on my own.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
If I participated, it might be a crappy, uneducated, partial list filled with (potentially) stupid games that would make NES fans roll their eyes. You sure you'd want that?  ;)

I didn't know what this was until I looked it up, I recognized about 4 titles because my brother had the system. So I could ask my brother and his wife and kids to throw some names at me, since they did have a lot of these.

But this is a subject where I'd be fumbling about in the dark on my own.

That's fine by me.  Don't need to be super educated to know what you like.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »
Submitted my list earlier today. It took me a while to rank everything to where I was happy.  :D

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
The thing with me is that I didn't hate games, I was just so, so terrible at them. No hand/eye coordination? So I'd quit from frustration and would just enjoy watching the others play. (there were 2 sport games I was decent at, so those will be at the top. With Racing games especially, I was hopeless)

Anyway, my Facebook page is strictly a family thing, and I asked them there about this stuff. My brother and sister in law are reminding me of games I played (or watched get played), my nephews, nieces are chiming in. So I'm getting a lot of help. This will be a George Family list of crap. lol. I needed it (the help), I'm confused by all the versions of the games and consoles (is it NES or SNES?)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:06:21 AM by George-2.0 »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
(is it NES or SNES?)
I think it's just NES games.
SNES would probably be a separate LoC..

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 04:03:02 AM »
(is it NES or SNES?)
I think it's just NES games.
SNES would probably be a separate LoC..

See, yeah, that's why I needed help. I honestly don't know one from the other.

And all those Mario's, yeesh, it makes my head spin.

Well I have 26, I had to kick one of the Mario's off because it was SNES - and I probably need to double check the rest, just in case.

Man, I've gone from LOC expert (superheroes) to LOC dumbbell in one fell swoop.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:05:01 AM by George-2.0 »