login

Author Topic: Rifftrax Prime (A subscription service)  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Konman72

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rifftrax Prime (A subscription service)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
Has there been any update on this? Did beta testers get to try it out yet?

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 05:21:41 PM »
Has there been any update on this? Did beta testers get to try it out yet?

At least one person has earned the Prime Beta achievement now.  Really hope I can join the beta...  I'd hate for a RiffTrax achievement I haven't unlocked to sit there in my account taunting me forever!

Offline Ech3

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
Bumping this after 3 months hoping for any updates at all.

Rifftrax take my money for a prime membership!

Offline majorjoe23

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
Bumping this after 3 months hoping for any updates at all.

Rifftrax take my money for a prime membership!

From Conor Lastokas’s recent Reddit AMA (it was Torgo’s Pizza who gave this answer):

We had a beta-ready version of our Roku app, and most of the subscription stuff is ready on our end; in fact, we were going to launch it in January as subscription-only, and start there.

But as we started to go through the app internally, we realized it just wasn't up to our standards. This was the same sort of feedback we heard from the community, including here on reddit.

So after spending a bunch of time working on a subscription-only Roku channel, we decided at the last minute to try and build the bigger, better version instead. We really want to make sure that our long-time users get something that works for them, too, and that means integrating Library content as well as some other stuff that basically requires us to do more engineering work.

While it does mean we needed a couple more months to do it, that work is already underway. Right now we're hoping to have everything ready to go in March.

The service itself we're calling "Friends of RiffTrax" and the subscription side will be $5.99 for unlimited streaming of a ton of our content that is 2 years old and older. I think we might also have a higher tier that includes all new content (call it "Best Friends") as well.

Anyways, work continues on it, and if the Roku app goes well, I think we'll be looking at doing more platforms like Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV next. I'll try to be better about keeping everyone posted! (I would have except there really hasn't been any news, so...)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rifftrax/comments/7vzhiz/ama_conor_lastowka_rifftrax_senior_writer_producer/

Offline Ech3

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

So it sounds like it’s on the way.  Good enough for now.

Looks like I might have to purchase a Roku.

Offline begoodrascal

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
oh boy. Hope the rifftrax roku app sees the light of day this year. I wish I was already a friend of rifftrax with a subscription for all you can watch rifftrax. please please please take my money for that. I feel like I remember there being some subscription thing through VRV on roku, though I never had one and I know there's no more rifftrax on VRV.

Right now I'm working my way through about 20 rifftrax videos I've never seen available on Amazon prime for now, maybe rent some too. And there's whatever I'm getting through the kickstarter. but after I watch all that, I hope the rifftrax roku app is up and running.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 74
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 07:09:07 AM »
Right now I'm working my way through about 20 rifftrax videos I've never seen available on Amazon prime for now, maybe rent some too. And there's whatever I'm getting through the kickstarter. but after I watch all that, I hope the rifftrax roku app is up and running.

While we're waiting, you can also check out the Shout Factory TV app on Roku - there's some Rifftrax videos on there as well, along with some MST3K episodes (free, but with commercials).  Not sure how much overlap there is with Amazon.

Also, the Pluto TV app on Roku has a 24-hour free Rifftrax channel (and another 24-hour free MST3K channel).  Not sure what their current rotation is, or how it overlaps with what's available to stream elsewhere.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline begoodrascal

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »

While we're waiting, you can also check out the Shout Factory TV app on Roku - there's some Rifftrax videos on there as well, along with some MST3K episodes (free, but with commercials).  Not sure how much overlap there is with Amazon.

Also, the Pluto TV app on Roku has a 24-hour free Rifftrax channel (and another 24-hour free MST3K channel).  Not sure what their current rotation is, or how it overlaps with what's available to stream elsewhere.

I'm familiar with those as well. Got excited when Pluto debuted but was quickly annoyed with the ads. Shout Factory app ain't bad at all though. Watched my share of MST3k on there. There's some overlap of Rifftrax on there and Amazon prime (which is commercial free). Recently watched the duo of Chuck Norris riffs - Breaker Breaker on Shout Fact. and Silent Rage on Amazon prime. 2 others that look to be on Shout but not Prime are Zindy the Swamp Boy and Hillbillys in a Haunted House.
Check out  http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/rifftrax
and this list of riffs free with Amazon Prime
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:27:54 AM by begoodrascal »

Offline begoodrascal

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
The latest Kickstarter email mentioned that they're working on "a Roku channel" so that got me excited again

Edit: And it's here! More info @  https://www.reddit.com/r/Rifftrax/comments/9m393y/rifftrax_roku_app/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:46:23 AM by begoodrascal »