Author Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
Re: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Well to me Star Trek is about ethical and moral dilemmas. So far i cant see this show doing that anytime soon. Frankly at this point i just want Star Trek to die. I thinks its been dead for a long time. But Paramont and CBS keep on playing "Weekend at Bernies". Going place to place trying convince everybody its alive. or Maybe is like a old suffering cow that they keep alive to get every last drop of milk they can. The only reason they made this TV show was because Star Trek Beyond didn't do that well. If this flops, i hope they put an end to it.  At least until someone who actually care about it decide to revive it. Between the 5 TV Shows. It think we need more than enough Star Trek.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:16:45 PM by Road_Element »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7912
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
I actually think this is true for a lot of franchises.  The new Star Wars movies are totally unnecessary.

I watched about the first 30 minutes of the first episode. Visually it was nice, but I found it very dark (like hard to see dark, not tonally dark).  I also didn't really understand why the senior officers were doing so much shit-talking on the bridge. Seemed unproductive, but maybe that's just how Georgiou ran her ship? I dunno.

I still don't like the designs very much.  I hate the Klingon design.

I was interested in the first part, but I don't know how interested I am in actually finishing the episodes. 

Basically I didn't hate it (which surprised me) but I didn't think it felt very much like Star Trek.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
I couldn't make it through that trailer.  The ceaseless string of "wise" sayings drove me away.  I hate when someone thinks that just having a sentence with two clauses that contradict each other makes that sentence deep.  "Sometimes the coldest things are actually quite hot."  "In order to move forward, you must take a step back."   Blech.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »
CBS putting this exclusively on an online service and not using any of their copious network TV time slots pisses me off.  I actually had a dream that I was in the board room of CBS and yelling at them "YOU ARE NOT HBO.  YOU DO NOT CHARGE PREMIUM COSTS FOR YOUR CONTENT."

If a show goes to a streaming service, and it belongs to that streaming service as the one and only distribution channel, fine.  It seems fair that someone should have to sign up to Netflix to watch Orange is the New Black, or Hulu to watch The Path, or Amazon Prime to watch Bosch... fine.  Those shows were picked up by those content providers who have only their online platform to provide them.  But CBS is a mainstream network, older than TV itself, that has historically been provided free to viewers with advertisers paying the costs.  CBS trying to morph into HBO or Netflix etc., is a blatant, insulting cash grab.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
It's the "exclusive" part that pisses me off.  I wonder if they have even bothered to do the research on how much money they would make if these exclusive streaming shows were made available on services like iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, etc...  I'm sure there are a lot of people like me that are not going to sign up for CBS All Access but would be willing to pay $3 per episode to try out Discovery.  So they could make money from me, but they won't the way things are now. 

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »
It's the "exclusive" part that pisses me off.  I wonder if they have even bothered to do the research on how much money they would make if these exclusive streaming shows were made available on services like iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, etc...  I'm sure there are a lot of people like me that are not going to sign up for CBS All Access but would be willing to pay $3 per episode to try out Discovery.  So they could make money from me, but they won't the way things are now.

I'm in the same boat with Mr. Mercedes.  I enjoyed the book and its two sequels.  I saw the first two episodes for free and loved them.  But it's only available through AT&T's satellite service or through their subscription based monthly streaming service.

I wonder if full subscribers still have to deal with commercials on Star Trek Discovery.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »

I'm in the same boat with Mr. Mercedes.  I enjoyed the book and its two sequels.  I saw the first two episodes for free and loved them.  But it's only available through AT&T's satellite service or through their subscription based monthly streaming service.

I wonder if full subscribers still have to deal with commercials on Star Trek Discovery.
Yeah there's still commercials on All Access, oddly enough.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »

I think if you pay $10 a month you don't get commercials.  I didn't look to see if it was $10 extra or $10 total, the normal price with commercials is $6.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »

So you pay money to get the exact same thing CBS has been offering for free for decades?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
Yeah if that's the case that would really piss me off.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »

So you pay money to get the exact same thing CBS has been offering for free for decades?

Yup, the only difference is you get an on-demand catalog of current and old CBS programs.

Looks like it is and extra $4 a month ($10 total) if you want commercial free.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7912
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
Well I finally watched it.

The in-person holograms thing is what bothered me the most. Are viewscreens that hard to buy?

Also, mining a dead body? Isn't that a war crime?

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:37 AM »
If you think the Romulans were underdeveloped, then you'll probably continue to be disappointed as they're not in this series.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »
We enjoyed the first episode up until it ended with no warning. Current plan is to wait until the season is over, sign up for a one week free trial, and binge them all at once. If enough other people do that, hopefully CBS will come to thier senses.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
We enjoyed the first episode up until it ended with no warning. Current plan is to wait until the season is over, sign up for a one week free trial, and binge them all at once. If enough other people do that, hopefully CBS will come to thier senses.

So you'll be waiting until next summer then?  They are splitting the season in half so the final episode won't "air" until next spring.   Probably their plan to try and trick people into using up their free trial after the first half season airs.