Author Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 459
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Re: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
I did kinda like the Klingons at least.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4291
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
From what I've read, the different Klingon look had to do with the different houses.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »
Again my argument has been.. Why not carry things on into the FUTURE... ???
It would make a little more sense at least that way with the different houses, the special effects and other stuff would add bit more focus to the plot instead of 'filling a void' ::) ..
And lose TOS sounds on the bridge FFS! :grr:

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
Huh... I must have not been paying attention, I didn't even notice the TOS sounds.  :o

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Huh... I must have not been paying attention, I didn't even notice the TOS sounds.  :o
Oh they're there..
The sonar ping sounds and WHISH sounds from the sliding doors..

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »
Maybe I'm critiquing things a bit too much right out of the gate here but I just think that continuing with the original Star Trek timeline would have just made more sense here instead of reinventing the Klingons (for a 3rd time I might add) which makes no sense to me when you're even attempting to fill a void in the ST timeline :-\

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
We'll just have to wait and see. Just like I said on FB, even DS9 wasn't brilliant at first.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Right now it seems like the show's largest enemy is once again it's own network.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
From what I've read, the different Klingon look had to do with the different houses.

Yeah i don't get that. It was never really established that each Klingon houses look like a almost different species. If you could come up with the most cringe worthy alien design. I would give it to the new Klingons. You might as well model a new species after the Gill-man from Creature from the Black Lagoon

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 678
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:41 AM »
WAY too many commercials. I'm reminded of why I never watch regular TV any more. And after all that, just to be told I'd have to pay for CBS All Access to watch the rest of the pilot. This has got to be the worst botched pilot in history.

You SHOW THE WHOLE PILOT Jackasses. That's how Pilot's work. I've never seen a better justification for using BitTorrent. Sat through a crap ton of ads? Now pay us money to watch the rest.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:28 AM »
WAY too many commercials. I'm reminded of why I never watch regular TV any more. And after all that, just to be told I'd have to pay for CBS All Access to watch the rest of the pilot. This has got to be the worst botched pilot in history.

You SHOW THE WHOLE PILOT Jackasses. That's how Pilot's work. I've never seen a better justification for using BitTorrent. Sat through a crap ton of ads? Now pay us money to watch the rest.
THIS about all the commercials! I was either muting them or flipping to Sunday Night Football..

And the pilot didn't even keep my attention to want to see the second part of it  :-[

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
I did hear they were going to use several different types of Klingons for the show.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
I don't think you guys are missing much from not seeing the second episode. I think its actually worse than the first. Frankly i find this show to be boring as well as Cold and lifeless and really doesn't resemble Star Trek at all. Ill probably just back to watching the orville.

P.S. if you must know what happens
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sounds like your average Star Trek story right? :speechless:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:55:44 AM by Road_Element »

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
I don't think you guys are missing much from not seeing the second episode. I think its actually worse than the first. Frankly i find this show to be boring as well as Cold and lifeless and really doesn't resemble Star Trek at all. Ill probably just back to watching the orville.

I don't know about that.  It kinda reminded me of Enterprise, at least visually.  I'll wait till it's available on another service before watching further.  Then again I can't think of many sci-fi shows that were strong out of the gate.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »

I don't know about that.  It kinda reminded me of Enterprise, at least visually.  I'll wait till it's available on another service before watching further.  Then again I can't think of many sci-fi shows that were strong out of the gate.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more it looks rehashed to the point that it's not going to keep my attention..
Haven't seen The Orville yet but will give it a try but otherwise, I may be starting another TNG & DS9 marathon soon :-[