Author Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
Re: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (2017)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Yeah, the Klingons are all wrong.  This is looking more like a new reboot, making up their own timeline.

Here's hoping the show by Seth MacFarlane, The Orville, will be more like Star Trek than anything we have gotten in the last decade.

The Orville looks great. Looking forward to it.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
Recently found out the reason Star Trek made by Paramount no longer looks like anything made before, it seems all the company merging and splitting between CBS, Viacom, and Paramount has left the Star Trek license fractured.  CBS has the license for all the old TV stuff, Paramount has some kind of license for movies but they have to pay CBS if they use anything that looks like what was on TV.  So that's why JJtrek looks the way it does, and why Discovery looks odd, even though CBS ordered the show Paramount is making it.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »
Recently found out the reason Star Trek made by Paramount no longer looks like anything made before, it seems all the company merging and splitting between CBS, Viacom, and Paramount has left the Star Trek license fractured.  CBS has the license for all the old TV stuff, Paramount has some kind of license for movies but they have to pay CBS if they use anything that looks like what was on TV.  So that's why JJtrek looks the way it does, and why Discovery looks odd, even though CBS ordered the show Paramount is making it.
No wonder it's been a mish-mash cluster f@(# lately :o
I mean I really want to get into the new show but I'm afraid this could go the way of the Star Wars prequels for me :-[

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
It looks like shit. At best it's a reboot of the Enterprise concept. At worst it's trying to erase TOS.  Plus, with the shoehorning in of their proprietary streaming service...nah. I'll watch The Orville instead.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
It looks like shit. At best it's a reboot of the Enterprise concept. At worst it's trying to erase TOS.  Plus, with the shoehorning in of their proprietary streaming service...nah. I'll watch The Orville instead.

With it being exclusive to CBS streaming that probably means no amazon or itunes video or even Blu-Ray until probably spring of 2019 (a year after they finish airing season one next spring).   

So, those of us not jumping in with CBS streaming will have plenty of time to read reviews and determine if the stories are any good.  It doesn't look like it's going to be Star Trek but maybe it will be a good science fiction show.

Nicholas Meyer is rumored to be working on his own Star Trek project, bigger rumor is that it's a backup if Discovery crashes and burns.

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »
 It looks like the series is set after Enterprise and before the original series but also takes place in the Abrams-verse.  I'm exciting to see Klingons in this but don't care for their look.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
It looks like the series is set after Enterprise and before the original series but also takes place in the Abrams-verse.  I'm exciting to see Klingons in this but don't care for their look.

No, they explicitly say it is NOT in the Abrams-verse.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
Well, they were saying Discovery was 10 years before TOS in the prime timeline, so 90 years after season 4 of Enterprise, but they haven't been saying anything about the timeline during the last year or so of delays.  Not sure if any of the new interviews have mentioned it other than saying it is not the JJ timeline.

I've seen a few interviews that talk about a plot line with a big decision, and talk of implications for the universe, so I'm guessing they are pulling a JJ of some kind to explain how these ships could possibly be around at the same time captain Pike was on a constitution class Enterprise.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop