Author Topic: Summer Shorts (Spoilers Welcome!)  (Read 1436 times)

Offline guitarshark

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
Re: Summer Shorts (Spoilers Welcome!)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:55 AM »
The sticker that was on Kevin's head:

lol how did you get that.  That little sticker thing kind of set up the mood for the rest of the show.  Everything clicked.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 06:11:44 AM »
The sticker that was on Kevin's head:

lol how did you get that.  That little sticker thing kind of set up the mood for the rest of the show.  Everything clicked.
That was a picture Kevin posted on his twitter.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
The sticker bit was funny.  When he took the hat off I saw it there and thought maybe he had a Band-Aid on and we were seeing the absorbent pad of it or something along those lines.   Then they reacted to it and some sticker from the hat just happened to transfer to his scalp.  :lol:  Can't beat those "live moments."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
Got to catch the encore!

The Rhythmic Ball short felt like a spiritual successor to "Setting Up a Room." It had that same, "This is barely watchable and they're STILL DOING IT!" quality.

The Baggs was something else. If there was a point to any of that, I can't figure it out.

I loved the Motorama short and I now wonder if there are any more out there to be witnessed and/or riffed.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »
The closest I can figure out a point to the Rhythmic Ball short was to develop the kids' fine motor skills. But it seemed like they were having kids do it that were old enough to already have developed fine motor skills.

I'm still trying to figure out what the guy driving the truck was doing in The Baggs. He seemed to be some sort of junk man, but he was grabbing random junk, as well as seemed to be stealing stuff from people's yards. Is that why the Baggs were running away from him, because he stole them?

The Motorama short is the kind of thing where choreographed dancing is jammed in where it doesn't belong, and it just slows everything down because it's filler. It's a show to display cars and kitchen appliances, but the makers are so stuck in the Broadway mentality that it's insufferable. Design For Dreaming suffers from that too, but not to the extreme that this one does.

Offline guitarshark

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »
The closest I can figure out a point to the Rhythmic Ball short was to develop the kids' fine motor skills. But it seemed like they were having kids do it that were old enough to already have developed fine motor skills.

I'm still trying to figure out what the guy driving the truck was doing in The Baggs. He seemed to be some sort of junk man, but he was grabbing random junk, as well as seemed to be stealing stuff from people's yards. Is that why the Baggs were running away from him, because he stole them?

The Motorama short is the kind of thing where choreographed dancing is jammed in where it doesn't belong, and it just slows everything down because it's filler. It's a show to display cars and kitchen appliances, but the makers are so stuck in the Broadway mentality that it's insufferable. Design For Dreaming suffers from that too, but not to the extreme that this one does.

Same. 

With regards to the Rhythmic Ball short I think Mike nailed it when he said something about pissing away grant money.

Yeah I got completely lost on the baggs short.  Was it just silliness for silliness sake?  Maybe they would actually do that in the 70s for children.  You know, back in the days before videogames when there used to be joy?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »

Same. 

With regards to the Rhythmic Ball short I think Mike nailed it when he said something about pissing away grant money.

Yeah I got completely lost on the baggs short.  Was it just silliness for silliness sake?  Maybe they would actually do that in the 70s for children.  You know, back in the days before videogames when there used to be joy?

I get plenty of joy out of vidjamagames and riffing, thank you very much.  :P

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
I loved the riffing, but there was one part that went beyond the riffing that was hilarious without anybody onstage having to do anything.  There was something just so beautifully stupid, and wonderfully edited, about the following in Sentinels of Safety.:

"Starting a fire with kerosene is a good, quick way to die."
*slight pause*
KA-BOOM!

I couldn't breathe for about five-ten seconds following this.  And the riffing around it only made it harder to stop.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
I loved the riffing, but there was one part that went beyond the riffing that was hilarious without anybody onstage having to do anything.  There was something just so beautifully stupid, and wonderfully edited, about the following in Sentinels of Safety.:

*slight pause*
KA-BOOM!

I couldn't breathe for about five-ten seconds following this.  And the riffing around it only made it harder to stop.

As I said when I made this topic, that short is one of my two favorites because it's funny even without a riffing.

Offline guitarshark

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 05:10:33 AM »

*slight pause*
KA-BOOM!

Hahahaha!  Thanks for bringing me back.  That was such a great movie.  I sat in the very front right corner of the theater.  It's a great spot to hear audience reaction behind you.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Watching this one again.

So which one of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers is the garbage man in The Baggs supposed to be?

Offline Populuxe Cowboy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
During the Motorama short, they had a woman riding in a convertible with a crazy long scarf and there wasn't a single Isadora Duncan joke. So disappointing.

I would love to see them partner up Paul F. Tompkins with John Hodgman again. Those two are very funny together and they are born riffers. In fact I'd love to see the two of them do a "RiffTrax Presents" together.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. The live shorts shows are my favorites and this one was just as funny as the SF Sketchfest shows.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:11:55 PM by Populuxe Cowboy »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
I would love to see them partner up Paul F. Tompkins with John Hodgman again. Those two are very funny together and they are born riffers. In fact I'd love to see the two of them do a "RiffTrax Presents" together.

I've actually seen John Hodgman, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett do a live riffing of At Your Fingertips: Cylinders and one other short whose name I can't remember on the third JoCoCruise. In fact, that's what got me into RiffTrax for good!