Author Topic: Summer Shorts (Spoilers Welcome!)  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
Summer Shorts (Spoilers Welcome!)
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
Some thoughts:

-Two of the shorts are funny even without the riffing. I'm talking about the 1930's one with a lot of household slapstick humor à la America's Funniest Home Videos and the burlap sacks one in the end. They were already funny; the riffing was just icing on the cake.

-I was hoping there'd be an extra guest so Paul F. Tompkins wouldn't be alone, or rather he'd have a riffing partner and wouldn't have to depend on the rifftrax crew (or the Sci-fi era MST3K riffing crew. Whatever). Oh well…

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Summer Shorts (Spoilers Welcome!)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »
So, the extra g in The Bagg stood for...goddamn.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
Did anyone else notice Janet Varney's name in the riffers credits?
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
Thought it was an entertaining enough night.  Really wish they'd gone after something more substantial for the all-skate final riff.  It was a bizarre one for sure but not a lot of meat there watching two guys in burlap sacks running after one another and there being virtually no dialogue.   Bridgette and Mary Jo are just too awesome at this.  Love these women! Though it's usually, for me, more interesting when their short is some archaic domestic-behavior short from the 50s or something.   But the goofiness of that short they did was well suited for their talents.

Following Frank on Twitter I was waiting for some politics-related comment/riff and wasn't too disappointed. Nicely played, Frank.

Offline Kenneth Morgan

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
I can't remember; what was the title of the b&w safety short, the one with the unwatchable nail scene?
-30-

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »
Can't remember the name of the b and w safety short either but that was the highlight for me. It had me in tears.

The finale with the bags was much better than the superman thing last years. A really great show.

Can someone explain to me Frank's political joke? I didn't get it or missed some part of it. There were three women sitting behind me who would not shut up.
Please enjoy the official LMD Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/v/0yID8Xb7qKM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

And buy my first riff of The Return of Chandu, Chapter 11 and all the Chandu iriffs or I will never "like" your re-authoring posts again.

Offline Kenneth Morgan

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
Can't remember the name of the b and w safety short either but that was the highlight for me. It had me in tears.

The finale with the bags was much better than the superman thing last years. A really great show.

Can someone explain to me Frank's political joke? I didn't get it or missed some part of it. There were three women sitting behind me who would not shut up.

Which of Frank's political jokes?  There were several.
-30-

Offline fodder650

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
It was one of several because I had a couple people behind me complaining as well. This is just how Frank is.

"He isn't even hired and he is making more money than her" was one.
"They haven't pulled the camera back to show the glass ceiling" was another.

There was at least one other about pay. There was another that was said twice "I'm going to die here".

I saw this short in Pittsburgh as part of "The Mads" show. They included a lot of new material during this show which was cool. There was only a couple cross overs. It also had a lot more with Frank being allowed to be himself.
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
Yeah, quite a few "women in the workplace" jokes.  The Trump Adminstration-Specific one was some side-snark Frank made about Betsy DeVous (Trump's Secretary of Education.)

Offline guitarshark

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
I loved the show.  I can't begin to remember everything but here's my favorite parts:

Rocky Raccoon crotch-bumping the kid.
The entire symmetric ball handling short.  I was laughing even when there weren't riffs.
The "it doesn't matter...because you're going to die" line by Frank in the secretary short just struck me funny and I don't even know why.
The two bags short was hilarious.  The little kid saying "you're hallucinating aren't you?  Take my hand I'll take you to the hospital" LOLOL
The guilty conscience short with Mary Jo and Bridgette was really funny.  The girl waking up was hilarious but I'm not sure why.  Mary Jo and Bridgette were laughing because she was so unmade up and undignified I think?  Or was it because she was completely dressed in bed?  Or did she just look weird?  Didn't really matter it was still funny.
Stepping on the nail...oh mannn lolol.  The whole kaboom thing was funny.
My least favorite was the magic car short but it was still ok.

There was a part in the symmetrical ball handling short with three kids.  I wanted them to say "oh there's Hillary!  And Barack!  Who's the kid in the back with the blonde hair? uhhh...pass."  LOL ok I'm not a professional.

Great job guys.  Two thumbs up!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

Which of Frank's political jokes?  There were several.

Someone covered it in a subsequent post.

Did anyone else look at the time at the end and was surprised to the show was close to two hours? It went so fast.

Please enjoy the official LMD Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/v/0yID8Xb7qKM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

And buy my first riff of The Return of Chandu, Chapter 11 and all the Chandu iriffs or I will never "like" your re-authoring posts again.

Offline guitarshark

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
Did anyone notice how fat the audience was?  I noticed because a lot of the people in my theater was fat.  50% of the talent was fat now that I think about it.  Everybody's fat.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
Yeah, was surprised at how long it was.

I think this was also the Live Show with the most "Live Moments" in it with unexpected things happening and dropped/messed-up lines.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »
The sticker that was on Kevin's head:

Offline thomastrioxin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 11:55:49 PM »
i currently live in nashville and couldn't get tickets to it.

the mads short would have been better for bridget and mary jo.
bridget and mary jo's short would have been better for the mads.

i'm just thankful that they didn't do any shorts over again

just when you thought it was safe to be dead