login

Author Topic: A book what has a story I wrote  (Read 493 times)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
A book what has a story I wrote
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
For anyone interested, there's a new anthology that came out just recently that has one of my short horror stories in it.  The C.A.M. Charity Anthology: Horror & Science Fiction #1.

My story in there is "The Path of Needles" -- my first non-self-pub in abt. three years.  I'm finally managing to edge back into writing again, after a long dry spell (due to outside pressures, not writers block or anything like that).
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: A book what has a story I wrote
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »
Awesome!  I have a story in a local anthology, and one that got read by Chilling Tales for Dark Nights, but outside of that I have nothing that's been 'officially' published (one self-published novella and that's about it).  I hope I can take a look soon.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
What's the self-published novella called?

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
Jack Alan and the Case of the Not Exactly Rocket Scientists.

Parody of old noir detective novels.  I've got the sequel finished, but I have editors (read: family members) looking it over for mistakes before I put it up.  I also plan on recording an audiobook of it soon, too.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
Jack Alan and the Case of the Not Exactly Rocket Scientists.

Parody of old noir detective novels.  I've got the sequel finished, but I have editors (read: family members) looking it over for mistakes before I put it up.  I also plan on recording an audiobook of it soon, too.

I read the novella not too long ago, and liked it a lot.  The noir stylings worked, and it was very funny, too.  Reminded me some of Terry Pratchett (in style, not in content).

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
I appreciate that comparison.  Terry Pratchett is one of my favorites, and I consider him and Douglas Adams the reason I enjoy writing in the first place (not writing to either of them when they were around is one of my biggest regrets).

I haven't had a chance to read the C.A.M. Anthology yet, but I did see your website...I never realized that you could make a site like that with Wordpress (I always assumed Wordpress was just blogs or behind the scenes editing, since I've done movie reviews for a website that used Wordpress to hand the articles for it), and it looks like a good place to start putting my various projects together in one place.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »
I appreciate that comparison.  Terry Pratchett is one of my favorites, and I consider him and Douglas Adams the reason I enjoy writing in the first place (not writing to either of them when they were around is one of my biggest regrets).

I did get to meet Terry Pratchett when he was at a con in Michigan in the early 2000s.  Every bit as kind and charming as you'd expect, and with a voice that matches his writing.  Never got to meet Douglas Adams, though.  (Or Isaac Asmiov, another I would've liked to meet.)

I haven't had a chance to read the C.A.M. Anthology yet, but I did see your website...I never realized that you could make a site like that with Wordpress (I always assumed Wordpress was just blogs or behind the scenes editing, since I've done movie reviews for a website that used Wordpress to hand the articles for it), and it looks like a good place to start putting my various projects together in one place.

Wordpress is pretty good for content management, I've found.  There's somewhat of a learning curve, though nowhere near as steep as what I encountered with Joomla.  Pages outside the blog are pretty easy to set up, though figuring out how to arrange them in the menus took some time.  (It also helps to find a theme that supports menus the way I wanted to do them; some are more customizable than others.)  It also took me some time to find the right plugins to do what I wanted (not just the stuff that's visible, like the contact page plugin, but stuff like redirecting people who follow a link to a page I've moved elsewhere, and backing up the content offline), but I'm pretty happy with it now.

(It's also possible to customize so that the blog isn't front and center as the main page.  I used to do that until I decided to trim down the pages I had to maintain to what you see now.)

I've also heard good things about wix.com (and seen some good looking websites hosted by them).  Not sure how it compares in terms of ease-of-use, but I'm sure I'll check it out one of these days.